Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 02:10 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just wondering and all but why would it kill Heavy Rail to Alpharetta?

And with the current funding, would MARTA truly have been better off themselves in accomplishing this?
Any additional tax passed in Fulton can’t be used for heavy rail. I also don’t see how extra funding is going to help when the only thing we’re pushing for is BRT. I would be okay with light rail, but BRT isn’t good enough to serve as a rail replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 02:17 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Any additional tax passed in Fulton can’t be used for heavy rail. I also don’t see how extra funding is going to help when the only thing we’re pushing for is BRT. I would be okay with light rail, but BRT isn’t good enough to serve as a rail replacement.
I personally would like to see light rail as well but I think at this point its Heavy Rail expansions or we get nothing at all.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:15 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Sounds like this ATL thing is going to be a doozy.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
On fridays political rewind podcast, Jim Galloway (ajc) initially referred to what passed as the “commuter rail bill”. They talked about the bill a lot more but Galloway never elaborated on the commuter rail comment. I wonder what made him say that?

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/487480863/political-rewind

Old 03-31-2018, 04:12 PM

332 posts, read 344,355 times
The name is terrible. I'm sorry ya'll. ATL? We gotta do better.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:21 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
The name is terrible. I'm sorry ya'll. ATL? We gotta do better.
Why is this bad? I like it and ATL is a name brand for the city. It’s appropriately named.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:10 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Why is this bad? I like it and ATL is a name brand for the city. It’s appropriately named.
For the city but not so much a transit system. Atlanta Transit Link, I get it but Metro Atlanta Linked Transit or Metro Atlanta Transit Authority or anything else would have just been better. ATL is tied to the city but it's just redundant to name that the transit system.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:38 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Having it be just some random acronym would have made no sense. ATL in this case is both an acronym and a brand, and it's an already-established brand, and one that's familiar to people all across the metro, ITP and OTP. And with no negative connotations.

The re-brand allows a fresh start, a new transit system. A clean slate, for everyone across the metro to be able to have and be a part of, from its inception. While also keeping MARTA as the main operator of that system. Their logo I'm sure will still show up everywhere. There is nothing in the bill that says anything other than that they need to have the ATL logo prominent on everything.

The other thing about the re-branding, is that it's global and not specific to any operator. There is nothing that says that the goal of ATL is for everything to be 100% operated by MARTA. Only that any other operators have to coordinate with MARTA, which I presume means jurisdictions will be more blurred. Services will be more coordinated. Everything will probably be much more unified than it is now, regardless of what MARTA operates or doesn't. (But they will probably end up operating most of it.)

In general, I see plenty of reasons to be happy and excited with this. This bill wasn't so much about expanding transit, as setting up the framework for expanding transit. Step 2 is the actual expansion of transit via increased taxes, but that has to be approved by voters. Which is fair.

What the ATL does is enable everything. It enables commuter rail, it enables BRT across county lines, like between Fulton and Cobb around 285. It answers a lot of questions that were not clear before. Like, under what brand would transit be.

Before this bill, Gwinnett or Cobb had fewer options, and fewer still options that they were particularly happy about. Now they have all kinds of options (and can receive federal funding for their Transit-SPLOST), to figure out what's right for them when it comes to transit. And no matter what they do, now we at least know that it will be one seamless system across the Fulton and DeKalb county lines. All the primary metro counties are in the system, in all directions.

This changes everything. In a really good way. I really can't stress that enough. But I don't think it will be super evident to everyone how groundbreaking this bill was until like 5-10 years from now. When we FINALLY have a truly metropolitan transit system, that can go everywhere it needs to go.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:46 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
As far as the whole thing about clarity/confusion with other meanings of ATL, what they should do IMO is call it ATL Transit. Sort of like Sound Transit up in Seattle.

And heck, they already have a website. And a logo:

ATLtransit

Old 03-31-2018, 08:09 PM

332 posts, read 344,355 times
OK, that website and ATLTransit sounds better. And looks better. But the whole ATL nickname has been overdone. It's funny, before I moved here, from the Midwest, I called it the ATL everywhere, like I was being in the know. Now, living down here, hardly anybody refers to the city like that. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta