Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 12:55 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,450,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
When someone goes 70 mph in a 55mph zone, they are increasing the chance of serious injury or death for themselves and others by several fold just to shave about 2 minutes off of their trip. It's ridiculous.
I don't see it that way at all. It's relative to the flow of traffic around you, that's why I said it's really only reckless if it's too fast for conditions.

If everyone around you is going 70 and you are going 55, then you are actually the one adding to the danger of the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 03:35 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,450,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
watch the roads become a much more hospitable place.
Some people also just need to understand that life in larger cities moves at a faster pace. This is hardly unique to Atlanta. If you want a slower pace and laid back hospitality on the highway, consider moving to the exurbs.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:06 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,258,993 times
Well, its not the fast pace that is bothersome, it's the absolutely terrible drivers who almost always act in a selfish manner.

I don't have time to look up numbers, but I would venture to guess we are in some sort of top status for most accidents per capita for a large city. Just guessing...

Old 01-30-2017, 07:02 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,735,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Virginia actually has a stiff penalty for speeding excessively. 80+ mph is a reckless driving charge. An actual criminal offense.
I hate driving in the state cause you still have the ones wanting to do 80 but then you have a lot of people actually trying to not speed. I rarely do over 74 in a 70 so it takes a while to pass someone. Contrast that to GA where I have no problem doing 80 and getting out of the way when passing someone.
this. Cruise control and you have to drive in fear, if you have to pass someone. No, thanks!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:32 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,383,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteranderson12 View Post
They are for our safety the fact you say 90-100% of drivers are BREAKING the law means we need MORE cops to actually focus on catching these dangerous drivers.
If low speed limits were for our safety, then why are auto-related deaths down more than 20 percent from 20 years ago, even though we are driving faster and much more?

Quote:
I'll follow the speed limit with no one else around. I'll go a little slower than the flow of traffic if we're all speeding. (Never even been pulled over for speeding). But it is a little infuriating when speed limits are artificially low or when they drop simply because you've crossed into city limits (looking at you Calvert, TX) with no other changes.
Or Cleveland. 35 MPH speed limit on a six-lane, median-divided highway. Another view. I think it used to be 30. And it's enforced with speed cameras, so if you speed you will get a ticket. Or two. Like me. Now I know why everyone drove so goddamned slow on that stupid-ass road.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 PM

10,417 posts, read 8,647,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteranderson12 View Post
I believe it should be a felony if you speed over a certain speed limit and the fines should be huge.These drivers are rushing somewhere and will hit ANYBODY not care.I was simply taking a simple walk to the store to get sodas.And when a car speeding so quick almost hit me,luckily he missed!!!I didn't have enough time to get his license plate.And where are the cops??We need to lock people up for driving reckless it is very dangerous!!!why are the drivers here in a rush?are they in a rush to use a toilet?seriously this is insane!
Were you in a crosswalk or jaywalking?
I saw where you think Atlanta should be a sanctuary city. Just wait till you get hit by an illegal who has no insurance or drivers license. I hope you like higher insurance rates.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:02 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,445,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
If low speed limits were for our safety, then why are auto-related deaths down more than 20 percent from 20 years ago, even though we are driving faster and much more?
Advanced safety technology in vehicles? Just guessing.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:27 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,768,339 times
OP should consider moving to Ty Ty, Ga where they drive very slow

Old 01-31-2017, 10:02 AM

3,097 posts, read 1,318,516 times
Quote:
Virginia actually has a stiff penalty for speeding excessively. 80+ mph is a reckless driving charge. An actual criminal offense.
I hate driving in the state cause you still have the ones wanting to do 80 but then you have a lot of people actually trying to not speed. I rarely do over 74 in a 70 so it takes a while to pass someone. Contrast that to GA where I have no problem doing 80 and getting out of the way when passing someone.
Yeah I know someone who didn't get their application for global entry approved over a Virginia speeding ticket they got years earlier. I believe anything 20 over or more is a misdemeanor. So even 55 in a 35 qualifies

Old 01-31-2017, 03:39 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,170,117 times
The only solution to metro Atlanta wreckless drivers at this point is many unmarked police cars in traffic and having the word get out, and that will stop much of the stuff you see on the expressways daily.

The other solution to speeding is speed cameras, just like they have on the DC beltway and other areas of the nation, that would pretty much put and end to the 80-100mph drivers on 285 and other expressways that rip in and out of lanes to maintain that speed.

I honestly dont think law enforcement cares in metro Atl anymore about safety. When the speed limit was 55, cops would clock people every other day, but since it was raised to 65mph, I hardly ever see any cops clocking anymore, out side of a few on 400, but thats still every couple of weeks. Even Doraville Police dont seem as active on 285 anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta