Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 07:43 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
White people have been, and are being pushed out of all the near by metro Atlanta counties.
Depends on what you mean by "pushed out". Many people choose to leave. I'm not that far from Douglas County. Quite a few people speak of Douglas County as if it's gone down hill. Many people who leave have the money to stay, but would rather go elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 08:18 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's all relative. The areas people refer to as "intown" nowadays were the sprawl of a few generations ago.

Folks all over the world want elbow room when they can get it.

A planet of suburbs | The Economist

The Evolving Urban Form: London | Newgeography.com
The words suburb and sprawl are NOT synonymous.

Even the London exurbs, like most suburbs in the world are...
a) are organized in villages and towns
b) are connected to the central city in logical way and
c) have virtually NOTHING in common with the type of random sprawl we are accustomed to in Atlanta.

This is the London exurbs.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...n_3117977k.jpg

http://i1.getreading.co.uk/incoming/...JS65940601.jpg

http://s3.amazonaws.com/medias.photo...765_xlarge.jpg

Old 03-03-2017, 08:38 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The existing white population, CHOOSE to move.
Intown black residents who choose to sell their home to make a huge profit due to gentrfication are also choosing to move. Why is it "pushed" when black people move and a "choice" when white people move? The steps to moving are the same for everyone, there's no magic force that literally grabs black people from their homes kicking and screaming.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:27 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Why is it "pushed" when black people move and a "choice" when white people move?
Its called Wealth and Power. Blacks can not go where ever they want. Most Blacks dont have the wealth, they have to settle for what they can get. Whites on the other hand once they determine a location has value, the value of said location rises just by them moving to it. Who sets the values for land taxes is that local governments or the feds. Im asking because I dont know. I never owned land before. If the taxes were set a stable price many the black people that want to stay could, but that system is set up to where the wealthy who can afford the higher tax can basically go where ever they please.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:29 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Its called Wealth and Power. Blacks can not go where ever they want. Most Blacks dont have the wealth, they have to settle for what they can get. Whites on the other hand once they determine a location has value, the value of said location rises just by them moving to it. Who sets the values for land taxes is that local governments or the feds. Im asking because I dont know. I never owned land before. If the taxes were set a stable price many the black people that want to stay could, but that system is set up to where the wealthy who can afford the higher tax can basically go where ever they please.
Each County has an appraisal dept that sets the value of the property and taxes are calculated on that value.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Black people deserve the bad things that happen to them.
I would not go that far. Its ok if you feel that way though.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:26 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You seem to be focused on the Historic District around the Capital City club. Sure, those are estate homes but that's only one part of Brookhaven. It's no different from the mansion districts in Ansley, Buckhead, Druid Hills and similar areas in cities all over the world.

Many of which, by the way, enjoy tons of pedestrian traffic.
No, I'm looking at large swaths of Brookhaven in general. There are some pockets of almost good density, but they're spread out for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
The words suburb and sprawl are NOT synonymous.

Even the London exurbs, like most suburbs in the world are...
a) are organized in villages and towns
b) are connected to the central city in logical way and
c) have virtually NOTHING in common with the type of random sprawl we are accustomed to in Atlanta.

This is the London exurbs.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...n_3117977k.jpg

http://i1.getreading.co.uk/incoming/...JS65940601.jpg

http://s3.amazonaws.com/medias.photo...765_xlarge.jpg
Exactly. The American style of suburb is NOT a normal build environment:
Quote:
We often forget that the American pattern of suburban development is an experiment, one that has never been tried anywhere before. We assume it is the natural order because it is what we see all around us. But our own history — let alone a tour of other parts of the world — reveals a different reality. Across cultures, over thousands of years, people have traditionally built places scaled to the individual. It is only in the last two generations that we have scaled places to the automobile.

How is our experiment working?

At Strong Towns, the nonprofit, nonpartisan organization I cofounded in 2009, we are most interested in understanding the intersection between local finance and land use. How does the design of our places impact their financial success or failure?

What we have found is that the underlying financing mechanisms of the suburban era — our post-World War II pattern of development — operates like a classic Ponzi scheme, with ever-increasing rates of growth necessary to sustain long-term liabilities.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:37 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times
Quote:
There are many wealthy blacks with quite a bit of power, and many poor whites. Don't generalize.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
There are many wealthy blacks with quite a bit of power, and many poor whites. Don't generalize.
No there is not MANY. Thats why this thread is so long. The percentages are OFF. Speak of the norm and not the exception you are hiding behind.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:54 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
No there is not MANY. Thats why this thread is so long. The percentages are OFF. Speak of the norm and not the exception you are hiding behind.
See the linked Social Security Administration report. While it is a national report and does not highlight any particular city, it does bear out the huge discrepancy in wealth that whites have over other ethnic groups. I would imagine that Atlanta is little to no different.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v64n4/v64n4p1.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta