Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 18,755 times

Advertisements

Ok I will apologize to those I have seen get irritated when post are made of the same question several times. I have read so many my head spins. My family and I are looking to move to the area in a year or so, we were thinking stock.. or mcdono... area of henry county due to friend saying it was nice. Have also been reading up on smyrna, marietta and different areas of cobb county. As far as schools and suburbs, or communities which area would atlanta natives or those new to the area also, say is best. Low crime rate, decent commute (know henry co is about 30min on a good day). Have heard good things about campbell high which area of smyrna is this in. Still looking to spend about 250,000 on home later down the line.. Work probably in atlanta.

Thank everyone for all help ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
If you're going to work in Atlanta, Smyrna has the best commute of all the cities you listed. Pretty much all of Smyrna goes to Campbell High.

Cobb County is higher density than Henry County, which is much more suburban. Cobb County is the 3rd most populous county in metro Atlanta and both Smyrna and Marietta are small cities with cute downtown areas.

If you don't need much space, there are plenty of 2-3 bedroom older homes in Smyrna that are in your price range (you'll probably need to update or it'll be out of your range). Shoot for the Nickajack, Teasley or Kings Springs school districts.

Cobb County school districts: Cobb County School District Home Page (http://www.cobbk12.org/schools/zonemaps.htm - broken link)

Old 03-03-2008, 11:25 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
If you're going to work in Atlanta, Smyrna has the best commute of all the cities you listed. Pretty much all of Smyrna goes to Campbell High.

Cobb County is higher density than Henry County, which is much more suburban. Cobb County is the 3rd most populous county in metro Atlanta and both Smyrna and Marietta are small cities with cute downtown areas.

If you don't need much space, there are plenty of 2-3 bedroom older homes in Smyrna that are in your price range (you'll probably need to update or it'll be out of your range). Shoot for the Nickajack, Teasley or Kings Springs school districts.

Cobb County school districts: Cobb County School District Home Page (http://www.cobbk12.org/schools/zonemaps.htm - broken link)
Yes, Smyrna is a great choice. However, keep in mind, the Southside suburbs offer really good commutes to Downtown Atlanta.

The Southside..."The Soft Underbelly for Downtown Atlanta Commuting."

Old 03-12-2008, 02:25 PM

22 posts, read 145,315 times
i live in Henry County and i love it. we have been here for 2 years and so far, so good! the most sought after schools here are the Ola schools.

i have a home for sale that is currently zoned for Ola Middle and High.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:50 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Kennesaw in Northern Cobb will be among the lower crime areas, with a commute that averages about 35-45 minutes on a good day, with access to other areas like Marietta Square, etc. The schools are supposedly very good in that area as well, though traffic is heavy.

Please note there's no need for so many "??????" in your subject line - people WILL answer you.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 AM

242 posts, read 841,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rant_s0me View Post
i live in Henry County and i love it. we have been here for 2 years and so far, so good! the most sought after schools here are the Ola schools.

i have a home for sale that is currently zoned for Ola Middle and High.
Union Grove and Eagles landing are not too bad either according to this America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com and greatschools website.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 AM

22 posts, read 145,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxd.Brit View Post
Union Grove and Eagles landing are not too bad either according to this America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com and greatschools website.

wow! i was aware of great schools . com but, i didnt realize a story was published in Newsweek. Ive also heard good things about Union Grove

Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 AM

4 posts, read 13,418 times
I live in the Lake Spivey area near Stockbridge and the commute is 25-30 minutes on a good day here. McDonough is further south and more congested, so you'll be looking at a longer commute from there, particularly if you are far off the interstate. If you don't mind the 45-60 minute commute (depending on traffic), you might like the Lake Dow area.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,733 times
Default Henry vs Cobb

I live in stockbridge and love it. However I am looking to buy a home and cannot decide between Smyrna or Mcdonough. Mcdonough has low crime rate the housing is cheapter, but the commute is TERRIBLE!!! Cobb sounds nice but I do not want to go to far north. Mableton or Smyrna, any pros and cons? I have 1 months to make a decision

Old 05-27-2012, 04:11 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
notice people are saying ___ min on a good day. To my experience, there was rarely a good day. weather, a wreck, traffic, you name it and a 30 min drive can become 1 hour or more.

suggest look for the place to give you the best commute to and from work, good safety, and good school. And that may not be where you think it is when you figure that out.

I lived in Cobb County and worked in East Point. My husband worked in Chamblee. Bad commute for us both but we tried to split the distance and be in a good school district. Just sucked the life out of me 2-3 hours a day in the car year after year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta