Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 23,255 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this site as well as to the city. I just came down to Atlanta (Decatur) from NY and I've noticed how spread out everything is. I'm wondering how people meet each other with all the driving and distance between everything. I'm a 28 year old single male and would love to network and meet people but I'm having trouble figuring out how things are done in the city.

It could be me though because I'm not really into going to the clubs every weekend neither.

Oh I also want to mention that I'm heterosexual because I've also heard there is a big homosexual population here. Not my thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 101,239 times
I understand that most parts on NY are over populated and on top of each other, but Atlantas not that small it self. im sure you can meet at least one new person a day if your talkative. hell you could more than likely meet someone at Walmart. =) it's possible. The Key is " Look approachable" even though that may be hard for you coming from NY LOL... you dont like to go out? try night clubs, book stores,mabe the mall,muesems it just depends what you like to do.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:34 PM

340 posts, read 1,576,722 times
I think if you like to meet people without hopping to the bars, living in a condo with club house, gym, and swimming pool might be a good idea where you can meet people often. There are quite a few condos in Atlanta which offer these amenities.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:56 PM

426 posts, read 2,321,935 times
You are fortunate that you have chosen to live in Decatur, as it is one of the few places in Metro Atlanta that actaully fosters a true communtiy feeling. Dowtown Decatur offers plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, and cultural venues where you could meet people. During the srping and summer the city also hosts several arts and cultural festivals in the downtown area. If bars are indeed your scene there are plenty of those too. I would suggest you join some organizations pertaining to your tastes whether they be the arts or business or whatever. This way you could fellowship with people that share your interests and it would offer great networking opportunities as well.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:47 PM

148 posts, read 950,769 times
Default Meeting people

I don't think it's that hard meeting people here. Meeting people is a by-product of doing other things. Happiness is a by-product of doing other things.

Meeting people should be a secondary goal, not a primary goal. Yeah, some people make it a primary goal, but I don't think it works that way.

Some guys lease a $75,000 BMW, buy flashy gold chains, and then expect themselves to be a chick magnet. The only problem is that many chicks are more interested in your BMW than you.

Volunteering is a great way to meet people. Try Habitat for Humanity. Try volunteering at an animal shelter. You may not find a two-legged friend, but you'll sure find a four-legged friend.

Z

Old 06-05-2009, 05:27 PM

32 posts, read 121,446 times
I've lived here all my life and even went to college here and YES, meeting people is the pits. My friends and I all met in college but it was still difficult because the college we attended was a commuter college and each of us lived miles away from each other. I live in Downtown Decatur and here are the places that my friends live: Marietta, Lilburn, Buford, Riverdale, Lawrenceville and so forth. We are all so far from each other that planning events is truly stressful. We try to meet each other halfway but even that gets crazy because sometimes it's like, well what's a city that is halfway?? I notice that once you're out of any kind of school setting, making friends becomes a fulltime job because people feel they don't need to make new friends and the hassle of trying to get together is a huge hassle all in itself....so people are just content in their own little established circles. My suggestion for you is meetup.com. I'll be utilizing this a lot as I'm getting ready to take a job in Denver. Good Luck.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 PM

8 posts, read 40,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I would define a moron as someone that would dredge up a 3 yo thread to make a pointless point.
It came up in a google search, but I can see why my comment upset you considering your a regular troll here Even so, your pointless reply to my pointless point is pretty pointless.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 PM

156 posts, read 433,479 times
Join some professional associations, clubs (outdoors, kickball, etc.), and try some of the regular social events (like martini's at the Fernbank).

Old 06-06-2009, 12:50 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,485 times
I thought NY was spread out also but if you want to meet people, follow this process.

- Find someone that interest you

- Go talk to that person

- Repeat those steps until you meet enough people

Old 06-06-2009, 01:37 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
I agree SageF definitely seems to have problems. But whoever posted the original post never mentioned what part of New York they are from. Not all of New York is New York City and Upstate New York although mostly pretty dense towns where there are large cities is a complete other world from NYC. So my response to them would be first to ask are you from NYC, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, etc. etc. . My answer would then proceed from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta