Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 03:20 PM

44 posts, read 71,834 times

Advertisements

Do you live in the ATL metro and are trying to move away? Why? Where are you moving to? There's such a large supply of affordable houses available and I'm just curious why you all are moving. Similarly, if you were to novena out of the metro ATL area, what would be your reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 03:29 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat12510 View Post
do you live in the atl metro and are trying to move away? Why? Where are you moving to? there's such a large supply of affordable houses available and i'm just curious why you all are moving. similarly, if you were to novena out of the metro atl area, what would be your reasons?
What the hell?

Old 04-02-2017, 03:38 PM

44 posts, read 71,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What the hell?
What?? Does my post not make sense? I'm searching for a 3 bedroom house on a decent sized lot in my budget $175k-$240k and I'm literally overwhelmed with options. Do a search on Zillow. This is not the case in some other metro areas. Since houses for sale = people leaving, I'm wondering why, or if you were to leave GA, what would be your reason?

Old 04-02-2017, 03:39 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12510 View Post
What?? Does my post not make sense? I'm searching for a 3 bedroom house on a decent sized lot in my budget $175k-$240k and I'm literally overwhelmed with options. Do a search on Zillow. This is not the case in some other metro areas. Since houses for sale = people leaving, I'm wondering why, or if you were to leave GA, what would be your reason?
There are houses for sale in every metro. Houses for sale does not equal people leaving. ATL was one of the fastest growing metros last year.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12510 View Post
People are not "leaving." Metro Atlanta was 3rd nationally for growth (actual numbers of growth) in 2016. Most likely the reason you're seeing so many houses for sale on Zillow is it's a SELLERS MARKET right now and many people are using that to cash out and move up to the next level. There are literally thousands of new homes under construction throughout Metro Atlanta, many in places (like Fayette County) that haven't seen this much activity in 10 years.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:08 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Those homes that you see may be older or far from job centers.

If I left it would be because of traffic or higher paying job.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:19 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Those homes that you see may be older or far from job centers.
Or in downright crummy neighborhoods.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:29 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Listings on Zillow is not enough information to determine there is an abundant supply of homes.

There are pockets of Metro Atlanta where home prices have not recovered - you did not mention the location of these homes or what schools they feed into.

Most anyone that I know that is selling a home in a desirable location - is selling quickly. There are lots of stories here on CD where buyers are bidding above asking or having to bid on a home very quickly at risk of getting locked out.

Every news story that I read lately talks about the undersupply of affordable homes. I think you took one piece of information and jumped to a conclusion.

For example:

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/6/30/...ortage-country

Old 04-02-2017, 04:36 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times
Visiting next month! Need tips/what to do

Why are you leaving MN should be the question?

Old 04-02-2017, 04:43 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
What's your field/industry? I'm a finance technology analyst, so the types of employers I look for are in the perimeter. Decent homes for those prices are rare.

I make enough to afford your price range but don't want a longer commute (already 40 minutes Doraville to Midtown).

I don't make enough to live truly in town. So in a sense, I dread Atlanta's traffic, it's expensive in town real estate, and the crime is not the worst but I don't feel completely safe. Though I'm not sure where else I can move that would have jobs and some affordability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta