Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:57 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,107,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
No. Tell me why anyone would bring up the response about deaths in car accidents as a retort to someone being murdered on public transit. That is what was done on here before I even made one single post on the subject. It wasn't me. Do you know why they call them car accidents? Was what happened on MARTA yesterday an 'accident'? The 'car' argument is so ridiculous on sheer volume alone. Also, ignoring the violent crime on MARTA in the last year is ignorant. These things should not be happening and it is unacceptable. You are making it about MARTA with the ridiculous and ignorant excuses about 'cars'. Look at airlines. They serve a much higher percentage of people than MARTA does and you don't have people being shot 5 times in a calendar year. This is becoming a problem and ignoring it and making excuses because you want to defend MARTA is disrespectful to the people who have been victims and future victims.
Again No it's called being logical.... So I guess if a person pass in car accident it doesn't count as a death?

So I guess the person just wake up tomorrow go to school, work, and visit their love ones since dying in a car accident doesn't really count as dying. It only counts if someone was shot...... you really seem to be missing point.

As I mention the reason you can't comprehend because you don't even care about this unfortunate situation of some one passing. You care specifically about it being MARTA. which is actually "sick" and "disrespectful"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 08:01 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Again No it's called being logical.... So I guess if a person pass in car accident it doesn't count as a death?

So I guess the person just wake up tomorrow go to school, work, and visit their love ones since dying in a car accident doesn't really count as dying. It only counts if someone was shot...... you really seem to be missing point.

As I mention the reason you can't comprehend because you don't even care about this unfortunate situation of some one passing. You care specifically about it being MARTA. which is actually "sick" and "disrespectful"
You are really having a hard time grasping this. A guy was killed on a MARTA train. The first responses on here were about 'cars' trying to justify this. I actually said to bring up such a silly misguided excuse/reason to justify a murder is wrong and disrespectful. Now, tell me how that is me NOT caring about what actually happened? Tell me.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Go back and read all the posts before I even entered this thread. What you are saying isn't true. I am one of the few people that actually cares about the person who was killed. I didn't automatically go in defense mode and bring up 'cars' like many did. You have it backwards (as usual)
False I'm reading this thread

Your posts are about your agenda against MARTA not the unfortunate situation of some one passing..

Posters are only responding about car accidents because your making it more MARTA then the person death. Your trying make MARTA special, and dangerous, so your getting logical responses back. your more at risk with fatalities driving than MARTA.

If you would made your post about the person death and not a agenda against MARTA then the response you would be a lot different.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:17 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
False I'm reading this thread

Your posts are about your agenda against MARTA not the unfortunate situation of some one passing..

Posters are only responding about car accidents because your making it more MARTA then the person death. Your trying make MARTA special, and dangerous, so your getting logical responses back. your more at risk with fatalities driving than MARTA.

If you would made your post about the person death and not a agenda against MARTA then the response you would be a lot different.

Someone was killed on a MARTA train. People tried to act like 'cars' was a retort. I said actually that isn't a valid excuse which IS respecting the person who was murdered. If this person was killed in a car do you think I would be bringing up MARTA? The only thing I brought up was the recent rash of violent crimes on MARTA. The car discussion was well before I even posted in this thread. You are now lying. Stop it. Now.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
You are really having a hard time grasping this. A guy was killed on a MARTA train. The first responses on here were about 'cars' trying to justify this. I actually said to bring up such a silly misguided excuse/reason to justify a murder is wrong and disrespectful. Now, tell me how that is me NOT caring about what actually happened? Tell me.
You are really having a hard time grasping this. OP said "I guess we're just gonna ignore this since it doesn't agree with the MARTA narrative of this board?" So the first response were reactions to that statement

Then you came in this thread with adgenda against MARTA

To show how backwards this has gotten "excuse/reason to justify a murder is wrong Literally no one in this thread have did that...

Making an excuse/reason to justify a murder would for the "killer" not single posters came in this thread defending the killer.......... seriously dude what are you thinking? You just equate posters basically saying MARTA is irrelevant, to poster defending a killer.

Again what posters are responding to is trying to make this about MARTA. Yes your focus and agenda MARTA is showing you care little about this unfortunate situation of some one passing. Every time bring up or fear monger against MARTA a posters is going to hit you back with logic that your more a risk with fatalities driving.

If you actually care about the person passing who suffer a fatality it wouldn't matter how or where. At the end of the day some lost a love one which hurts either or.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:41 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
Quote:
People tried to act like 'cars' was a retort.
But it is, a 100% perfectly valid retort. You just don't like it because it ruins your little idiotic "sky is falling" panic and fear narrative.

You're trying to sit here and imply that taking MARTA isn't statistically safe, so then by what statistically safer means are you planning on reaching your destination, if not by car? Walking? That also has a degree of danger, likely higher than taking MARTA.

There is risk involved every time you leave your front door.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Ron is having an issue of getting over that this is not a MARTA issue, but a cultural issue. MARTA is not the cause of this, it just happens to be the location. This could have happened anywhere.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:43 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
"If you make guns illegal, then only criminals will have guns." You clearly don't understand the concerns and mindset.
Serious question - why does stricter gun laws work in every other country in the world but won't work in America? Why does every other industrialized nations with strict gun laws, from Japan to Australia, have less gun violence than the US?

The argument that it doesn't work is easily disproven by the evidence that it does. Not a single gun supporter has ever shown me any evidence of a country enacting strong gun laws and having an increase in violence or gun deaths.

I'm just tying to understand what gun supporters base their worries on. Just what they *think* will happen, or is there some example somewhere? Obviously there are some cities and states with strong gun laws that still have a lot of gun violence, but that's because it doesn't work if you can just drive over the state line and buy a gun.

What would be so wrong with just trying it? Outlaw guns for 10 years and see what happens. Of we become markedly safer than we leave it in place. If gun violence stays the same, the law expires and we never try to control it again. Why is the NRA so scared of that?

Old 04-14-2017, 09:52 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Serious question - why does stricter gun laws work in every other country in the world but won't work in America? Why does every other industrialized nations with strict gun laws, from Japan to Australia, have less gun violence than the US?

The argument that it doesn't work is easily disproven by the evidence that it does. Not a single gun supporter has ever shown me any evidence of a country enacting strong gun laws and having an increase in violence or gun deaths.

I'm just tying to understand what gun supporters base their worries on. Just what they *think* will happen, or is there some example somewhere? Obviously there are some cities and states with strong gun laws that still have a lot of gun violence, but that's because it doesn't work if you can just drive over the state line and buy a gun.

What would be so wrong with just trying it? Outlaw guns for 10 years and see what happens. Of we become markedly safer than we leave it in place. If gun violence stays the same, the law expires and we never try to control it again. Why is the NRA so scared of that?
Yeah, the lack of gun control success in the US is because it's largely been local and not national policy. Unlike border security, states and localities are freely entered and exited from other states and localities.

You can ban guns in Chicago all day, but as long as bordering Indiana has loose gun laws, it won't do any good.

UK and Japan are islands, and thus have been able to accomplish some pretty good gun control. And Australia is technically an island as well, and their strict gun policy is national-level law.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:57 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Part of the problem is that there are already so many guns floating around in the U.S. How would you ever gather up 300 million of them? And you know a lot of people would hide them or fight you over them.

Also, consider that a lot of the shooting is done by people who don't have their guns legally. So restricting guns may not have much impact on folks who obtain them illegally.

It's also true that there are millions of people who have guns and never shoot anybody other than themselves. About 2/3 of gun deaths are suicides.

None of that is to say that we can't do better. We certainly can. But I'm not sure strict gun laws will solve the problem.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-deaths/

ETA: I don't think this shooting shows that MARTA is unsafe. Idiots can show up anywhere.

MARTA is probably safer than most places since it has surveillance and its own police force. Compare it to your local gas station or convenience store, where you are totally on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta