Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 02:44 PM

764 posts, read 1,108,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're talking about the 49ers, and since that move dashed any hopes of SF winning the USOC bid as an Olympic host city for last year's Olympics, I'm sure that generated more animosity than a few threads on an online forum. Heck, Sen. Dianne Feinstein even tried to prevent the 49ers from using "San Francisco" in the team's name at one point. That move seemed to have more real life negative impacts than what you're seeing in Atlanta/Cobb.

The Cowboys and the Patriots haven't played in the city limits of Dallas and Boston, respectively, since 1971--an era of rampant suburbanization nationwide. Not an apples to apples comparison at all.

I seriously doubt that there was a 100 page thread of animosity about the 49ers move. The reason the 49ers made the move was because they wanted the corporate sponsorships they could get in Silicon Valley. I know that Intel and Toshiba each have a gate entrance to the Levi's Stadium. Also, I'm sure that many of the other tech companies have large box seats they have paid a lot for.

There isn't the underlying tension/competition between the City of San Francisco and its neighbors to the south in Silicon Valley as there appears to be between the City of Atlanta and its suburbs or the whole ITP/OTP competition.

Just because the Cowboys and Patriots have been in the suburbs since 1971 doesn't mean that they haven't had opportunities to move into their namesakes municipalities. The Cowboys have made a recent move to the AT&T stadium and could have conceivably moved into Dallas proper at the time they were considering the move to a new facility. Besides, the City of Dallas is a larger municipality with a population of almost 1.3 million (almost three times that of Atlanta), so I'm sure there are locations they could have moved to within the city proper.

When I have been out in Silicon Valley, I have been told that the Oakland teams also desired to move to the San Jose area, too because they also want to tap into the tremendous corporate wealth and population there (San Jose has a larger population than San Francisco with over 1 million residents).

Bottom line, this is a business decision that each team makes due in large part to the locations of those who buy their tickets. The Braves showed a map and it is pretty clear that they are now located more central to their customers.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:51 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
As a former NYC-area resident, I beg to differ. There are still people pissed about it 30+ years later.
As a native, I don't remember any feelings about it except for maybe the inconvenience of getting to games. Nobody in NYC felt betrayed.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:56 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

Says the poster who literally made a thread telling the City of Atlanta how it should spend IT'S transit sales tax revenue, that was approved by RESIDENTS of the City of Atlanta.
To quote corndog, "U mad bro?"

I think it's time to chill about that particular thread, son. At least I care enough about transit to suggest my own ideas for possible expansions.

Transit is really the core issue with all of this stuff. If we were ever allowed to vote for MARTA in Cobb, we'd be able to finally join it. Which if they'd done a long time ago in this county, there would be less of the extra animosity towards Cobb in particular. And when they announced the move of the stadium to Cobb which was about 3 or 4 years before it happened, they could have announced MARTA expansion plans along with it.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:58 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Seriously. Anyone that's like, "I'm no longer a Braves fan, I'm a United fan now", or etc, is the type of immature little brat that gives Atlanta a deserved bad reputation as a sports city.
Wow...

Old 10-05-2017, 06:18 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
I seriously doubt that there was a 100 page thread of animosity about the 49ers move.
Probably not, but there was real life animosity. I'm not aware of any of Georgia's U.S. senators getting involved in the Braves' move to Cobb and again, the move by the 49ers essentially sunk SF's chances of winning the USOC bid. But hey, by all means, tell me how a 100-page thread on an online forum is worse.

Quote:
Just because the Cowboys and Patriots have been in the suburbs since 1971 doesn't mean that they haven't had opportunities to move into their namesakes municipalities.
Apples and oranges. Staying in the suburbs is a lot less controversial than moving to the suburbs from the central city in an era where more attention is given to central cities. Even people from elsewhere were surprised by this move which sounded like something straight out of the 70's or 80's.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:32 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,117,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
As a native, I don't remember any feelings about it except for maybe the inconvenience of getting to games. Nobody in NYC felt betrayed.
It was less betrayal and more people living in Long Island/Westchester not pleased about having to go out to the Meadowlands.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
To quote corndog, "U mad bro?"

I think it's time to chill about that particular thread, son. At least I care enough about transit to suggest my own ideas for possible expansions.

Transit is really the core issue with all of this stuff. If we were ever allowed to vote for MARTA in Cobb, we'd be able to finally join it. Which if they'd done a long time ago in this county, there would be less of the extra animosity towards Cobb in particular. And when they announced the move of the stadium to Cobb which was about 3 or 4 years before it happened, they could have announced MARTA expansion plans along with it.
Oh you mean like this? Where even you, yourself made changes. You even complimented it!
Quote:
Looks great. The only tweaks I might would make, would be moving the Fair Oaks/Dobbins station a bit north to the heart of the Fair Oaks community, which is around Old Concord Rd @ Atlanta Rd. This would also put it a little more equidistant between Smyrna and Marietta. But your location isn't bad either, next to the GTRI.

You see I care about transit enough to live by it, commute by it, and even vote to tax myself for expansion. Have you gotten involved with a grassroots effort to bring MARTA into Cobb? That's how Clayton Co got MARTA, grassroots efforts that led to pro-MARTA county commissioners, who held a referendum.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:55 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
You see I care about transit enough to live by it, commute by it, and even vote to tax myself for expansion.
Yeah, you remind us 15 million times a day about how you get around using MARTA. We're aware. Glad for you.

Quote:
Have you gotten involved with a grassroots effort to bring MARTA into Cobb?
Not really, but I need to. I'll find something to attend. I've only been out here a year and a half.

When I was in Sandy Springs (and worked in Alpharetta) I attended a few pro-transit things, mostly about the Connect 400 project. And that went nowhere. Years go by, that much-needed project goes nowhere, and they HAVE MARTA.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:37 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
On a brighter note, I went to my first Atlanta United match last night and it was amazing!!! This may be the first Atlanta team I can support since relocating.
Soccer is just so different than anything else. To see foreign player love the city because they get more fan here than in their home country is amazing. I was just on the MLB site I dont see Atlanta in the playoffs again....might as well be in the minors.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Yeah, you remind us 15 million times a day about how you get around using MARTA. We're aware. Glad for you.

Not really, but I need to. I'll find something to attend. I've only been out here a year and a half.

When I was in Sandy Springs (and worked in Alpharetta) I attended a few pro-transit things, mostly about the Connect 400 project. And that went nowhere. Years go by, that much-needed project goes nowhere, and they HAVE MARTA.
Not nearly as much as you remind us that you live ITP, but in a non-MARTA county, and how much Atlanta needs to pay for MARTA service to Cobb's doorstop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta