Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:15 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,841,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
It is.

So, people need to understand that this is what cyclists are being told to do and drivers need to respect it. They're not being jerks.

As for the darting and ignoring stop signs/lights, they shouldn't do that. One caveat though, cyclists will often almost stop at stop signs and roll through. The reason is uncliping from the pedals, putting a foot down, and getting back up to speed takes awhile and holds up traffic. It's generally seen as a courtesy to the cars. This does not include whizing through the stop sign or going when it's not their turn. Those people are jerks.

Who is telling them that's what they should do? It's certainly not the DOT.

Quote:
Unless a bike lane, wide curb lane, or shoulder exists, do not pass traffic on the right. Unless you’re in a designated bike lane, do not pass cars stacked up at a traffic light order to position yourself at the front of the line. It is safer and more courteous to pull up behind the last car in the line and wait your turn.
Why should motorists "respect" cyclists who are intentionally riding in an unsafe and discourteous manner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:34 AM
bu2

24,184 posts, read 15,036,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It probably is safer if there are multiple cyclists, but I fail to see how it's true across the board for cyclists to move to the front of the line, as CQ would surely claim if he had the guts to participate. As a cyclist stopped at a red light, the only cars at that moment that need to be aware of your presence are the ones behind you, so it's no safer to be at the front of the line (which is arguably less safe, for reasons already stated by others) than it is to be at the back or in the middle of a line of cars.
Its clearly illegal unless there is a bike lane.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:36 AM
bu2

Quote:
It is.

So, people need to understand that this is what cyclists are being told to do and drivers need to respect it. They're not being jerks.

As for the darting and ignoring stop signs/lights, they shouldn't do that. One caveat though, cyclists will often almost stop at stop signs and roll through. The reason is uncliping from the pedals, putting a foot down, and getting back up to speed takes awhile and holds up traffic. It's generally seen as a courtesy to the cars. This does not include whizing through the stop sign or going when it's not their turn. Those people are jerks.
Except that its not true. Its rare that I see a cyclist treat a stop sign as anything other than a yield. So much so that it is always notable when they actually stop or nearly stop.

In fairness a lot of Atlanta motorists do the same, but its maybe 10-20%, not 95%.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 AM

687 posts, read 748,675 times
Thankfully no car drivers in Atlanta break any rules and for that I guess we should all be grateful.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:41 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,732,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
Thankfully no car drivers in Atlanta break any rules and for that I guess we should all be grateful.
No that this should be another cars vs bikes thread, but I really need to take pics of all the illegal activity I see motorists do for some of the people on this thread. Yesterday I was in the bike lane on Decatur St, and a woman was driving while typing something on her iPad. Yes, you read that correctly - driving and typing with an iPad on her steering wheel. On the same trip, I also so a guy driving at least 50mph on Peachtree by Emory Hospital, and cutting people off as he went, then proceeding through a light just as it turned red.
Countless drivers run red lights, to the point that I always look both ways on a green now. And then add to that the HUGE number of people texting and driving - like countless amounts of people - and the lack of stopping fully at stop signs.

Point is, much of the biking behavior people complain about also happens by drivers, you just don't notice it until they hit you. Many of the same people doing something illegal on a bike do so when they're driving, and many people driving make decisions that are technically illegal everytime they get in a car. It goes both ways. The threads about "bikers need to stop this" really need to end - we could also make one about drivers, which would get much longer solely due to the much larger population of people driving and doing something illegal.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:44 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
No that this should be another cars vs bikes thread, but I really need to take pics of all the illegal activity I see motorists do for some of the people on this thread. Yesterday I was in the bike lane on Decatur St, and a woman was driving while typing something on her iPad. Yes, you read that correctly - driving and typing with an iPad on her steering wheel. On the same trip, I also so a guy driving at least 50mph on Peachtree by Emory Hospital, and cutting people off as he went, then proceeding through a light just as it turned red.
Countless drivers run red lights, to the point that I always look both ways on a green now. And then add to that the HUGE number of people texting and driving - like countless amounts of people - and the lack of stopping fully at stop signs.

Point is, much of the biking behavior people complain about also happens by drivers, you just don't notice it until they hit you. Many of the same people doing something illegal on a bike do so when they're driving, and many people driving make decisions that are technically illegal everytime they get in a car. It goes both ways. The threads about "bikers need to stop this" really need to end - we could also make one about drivers, which would get much longer solely due to the much larger population of people driving and doing something illegal.
You don't like it because people are calling out that most bike riders are inconsiderate, self-absorbed jerks while riding their bike (they may be great people off the bike).

There are definitely some jerks who drive. But its not nearly as high a percentage. Most drivers in Atlanta are remarkably considerate relative to other metros.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:01 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,971,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You don't like it because people are calling out that most bike riders are inconsiderate, self-absorbed jerks while riding their bike (they may be great people off the bike).

There are definitely some jerks who drive. But its not nearly as high a percentage. Most drivers in Atlanta are remarkably considerate relative to other metros.
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.
You have no data to back up your claims that most cyclists
Quote:
inconsiderate, self-absorbed jerk
and that drivers are not nearly as high.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:47 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,732,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Old 05-04-2017, 12:07 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,963,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Who is telling them that's what they should do? It's certainly not the DOT.

Here is a quote from the document you linked to:

Quote:
Unless a bike lane, wide curb
lane, or shoulder exists, do not pass
traffic on the right
The cyclist can ride up to the front on a bike lane, wide curb lane, or the shoulder to position themselves per the DOT. I'm not trying to argue that it's right, safe, or courteous. My point was that this is what cyclists are told to do, and people need to understand their not trying to be jerks.

If you think it's bad then call the DOT and work to get the language changed.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:31 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,324,503 times
Quote:
Here is a quote from the document you linked to:

The cyclist can ride up to the front on a bike lane, wide curb lane, or the shoulder to position themselves per the DOT. I'm not trying to argue that it's right, safe, or courteous. My point was that this is what cyclists are told to do, and people need to understand their not trying to be jerks.

If you think it's bad then call the DOT and work to get the language changed.
I think that far more often, what many of us see is cyclists doing these kinds things when they DO NOT have a bike lane, shoulder, etc. I have also seen them pass stopped cars riding BETWEEN two lanes of traffic, which is beyond stupid. If they have a dedicated lane then of course their actions cause little to no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: