Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 11,630 times

Advertisements

I've been searching the forums for help and alot of it is outdated. So heres my situation. I moved to Atlanta over the past summer. I was staying in Sandy Springs with a relative. Found a great job and started my apartment hunt. But before I was successful I had to come back to NY for a couple of months for personal reasons. Now that everything is dealt with I'm omw back to Atlanta. I still have my position at my job in atl. So thats not a worry for me as far as work goes. I need an apartment, but I have an eviction on my record. I'm willing to pay 3 months rent upfront. I'm a single mother of one. So I'd like to live some where fairly safe. Some where I don't have to worry about someone moving me out while I'm at work. Maybe in the Marietta area. Or if any way possible Alpharetta, or Roswell. The maximum amount i can afford monthly is $700. I've tried craigslist but theres alot places that want a payment upfront before you even talk with someone. I can't afford any scams right now. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 11,308 times
Bump, same question for me

Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
With the market as it currently is, renting at a corporately run complex is pretty slim given they have no shortage of people wanting to rent.

Your best bet would be to sublet a condo. You can at least negotiate the terms of the lease with an actual person who would be willing to give you a chance. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:24 PM

787 posts, read 968,635 times
You should be ok as long as you are prepared to pay first month and a deposit that can be up to first month rent.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
With the market as it currently is, renting at a corporately run complex is pretty slim given they have no shortage of people wanting to rent.

Your best bet would be to sublet a condo. You can at least negotiate the terms of the lease with an actual person who would be willing to give you a chance. Good luck.

Really? Good grief.

I've known people to go out and buy multi million dollar businesses with bad credit.

I almost 100% confident the OP can get a place to rent in their desired area WITHOUT having to sublease.
Leg work is the key to their success.

(I better not say that, it could get me banned)

Old 10-06-2014, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 10,561 times
Default bad credit and renting

I am in the same boat! I am staying with a friend and am relocating from Indiana but both our credit is in the 500's. I cannot seem to find an apt. They say anything above a 500 is good.. we have owned our home so we dont pay rent but I used my friend as a " landlord" on the app and still denied. We also have more than enough income. Curious if you found anything??

Old 01-05-2015, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 10,052 times
I'm in a similar situation. My student loan debt has completely caused my credit to tank. I have an eviction from 2 years ago but it was for the last month of my lease and I plan on paying them off within a month or two. I've been staying with a relative but I want to move out in the Fall of this year. If you find a resolution please share.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,541 times
You guys will probably have to find roommates and/or non-corporate landlords. Rents are sky high here in Atlanta and they don't show any danger of dropping.

Its not impossible to rent from a corporate owned complex, but the nicer ones are the ones that discriminate on the basis of credit score.

The other suggestion (leg work) was a good one. If you can find an agent with a sympathetic ear then you might be able to schmooze your way into an exception if you can exceed their other requirments (salary, etc).

Other than that, I have no real advice. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:22 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,804 times
Shouldn't you be able to secure an apartment with a co-signer if you have bad credit?

Old 01-06-2015, 11:29 AM

504 posts, read 1,545,353 times
Your bigger issue isn't the credit score, but the eviction. As a former landlord (sold the rental house in September), that is a HUGE red flag. Why would a LL want to risk someone that is known to skip out on paying (for whatever reason) vs someone that has a clean record? I'm not trying to be a jerk or mean here, just stating the mind-set that LL will have.

The credit score has room for more negotiation with a private LL. I've rented to people with poor credit scores before because they proved that it was caused by something that wouldn't show them as a bad risk, such as a large hospital bill, job loss etc. I cared more about bills being paid in full and on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta