Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 05:44 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Well, I know we've got a nice roundabout over at Emory, and another one up at Riverside and 285. There are some smaller ones in neighborhoods around town as well.

What is the general take on these? Would they help with safety and traffic congestion? How do they interact with pedestrians and cyclists?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7883...3258693,18.75z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 07:23 PM

356 posts, read 316,831 times
Seems like they help with traffic flow, at least when well-used. I appreciate the one where Timber Ridge changes to Lower Roswell near the Cobb and Roswell line.

Been wondering about the Riverside Dr ones, I'm never there during rush hour. Wonder if they've helped those intersections at peak times.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:14 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
I'm generally a fan of roundabouts. I much prefer them over sitting at some damn red light for two minutes while there isn't a single other car in sight. And anything is better than these god-forsaken diverging diamond piles of dog s*** that have been dumped all over town.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:51 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
And anything is better than these god-forsaken diverging diamond piles of dog s*** that have been dumped all over town.
The diverging diamond at Ashford-Dunwoody & 285 is awesome and has noticeably helped ease traffic jams.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:52 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
I like the roundabout in our town. I think it keeps traffic flowing well even for the side street. The only downside is that most people don't know how the right-of-way rules work.

Quote:
I'm generally a fan of roundabouts. I much prefer them over sitting at some damn red light for two minutes while there isn't a single other car in sight. And anything is better than these god-forsaken diverging diamond piles of dog s*** that have been dumped all over town.
I exit and enter I-75 at Windy Hill every workday. The DDI there has definitely improved traffic flow, at least in the directions I travel.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:20 AM

81 posts, read 92,208 times
Carmel, IN helped pioneer these in the US. I like the one by my house near Publix at Old Milton Rd and Haynes Bridge.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Blaze View Post
Carmel, IN helped pioneer these in the US. I like the one by my house near Publix at Old Milton Rd and Haynes Bridge.
I have a friend who lives in Carmel, and she is IRATE over the roundabouts. She said she would rather sit at a traffic light. I don't get it.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:27 AM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I know we've got a nice roundabout over at Emory, and another one up at Riverside and 285. There are some smaller ones in neighborhoods around town as well.

What is the general take on these? Would they help with safety and traffic congestion? How do they interact with pedestrians and cyclists?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7883...3258693,18.75z
Traffic flows better at Emory than it did before the roundabout, but I don't know how much is due to the roundabout and how much was due to the idiotic timing of the lights previously. A 5th grader could have done better light sequencing. To some extent, the two year construction period also served to reduce traffic down North Decatur. I think they all moved to Ponce as its traffic got much worse during the same time frame.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:02 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
I have a friend who lives in Carmel, and she is IRATE over the roundabouts. She said she would rather sit at a traffic light. I don't get it.
I know some people like that. I think they rather just be told what to do than be forced to think about something, even if it can get them someplace quicker.

We have one here. It used to be some awkward 3 fork junction with stop signs. It's MUCH better now. Most of the time you can just fly right on through (as opposed to being forced to stop at stop signs with no traffic coming). It's also much safer. Only a few potential conflict points. I'd like to see more of them but done properly. There was one in Chattanooga that was a backup because the road was just too busy and the other road that joined didn't have near the same amount of traffic.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:14 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
They've been putting them up all over North Fulton lately. I'm a fan of the ones I've used, so far. I'm not sure how it will help at the Houze/Hembree intersection though. The traffic on both roads is heavy at rush hour, it seems like it would be difficult to keep both roads moving when there is no break in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta