Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:42 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,780,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's also too hard to manage big bags on MARTA. You either have to block the hall or trust nobody is going to run off with them by putting them in the front. I usually stand up there with them, but that's a long 45 minute ride to the airport standing with bags!

Tokyo's airport train has these ingenious locks attached to ropes that you wrap around your bag handle that you can set a 4 digit code on, which instantly clears and resets when you remove your bag.

So if a country where crime is virtually non-existent decided to make a way to secure your bags on its mass transit, I don't see why we can't do it here.
That is a good point....

I always wished the one train car that is parked at the stairs of every train set at the airport had a single 3 tiered luggage rack over a short space. It would get so much use and get people's luggage out of the way. I'm usually sympathetic to the plight of having luggage, but I'm amazed how inconsiderate some people can be too.

Might not help with fear of theft... but I always found the small corners for luggage on the trains a bit small.... but if it was moved towards the center of the train from the main door, there would be more seats and standing room near it.

I usually just stand too. It isn't too bad... there is plenty of wall space in that area to lean on. Once the train leaves Arts Center or Lindbergh the crowds taper off and its easier to sit down and keep and eye on your things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 09:46 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,066,118 times
Here's an excellent video showing how they work.

Look how simple they are, they can't be expensive.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:00 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with the neighborhood it is in. The immediate vicinity is dominated by the AT&T employee lot. The businesses on the blocks across the street are usually closed by time I get back in the evening after a flight. I've never felt unsafe waiting at the station or the sidewalk across the street from it.
Bingo. There is nothing around the station but parking lots. If Doraville built a town center around the station, with more sidewalk activity, then you'd have what Jane Jacob's referred to as 'eyes on the street.'

Old 11-17-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
It's also too hard to manage big bags on MARTA. You either have to block the hall or trust nobody is going to run off with them by putting them in the front. I usually stand up there with them, but that's a long 45 minute ride to the airport standing with bags!

Tokyo's airport train has these ingenious locks attached to ropes that you wrap around your bag handle that you can set a 4 digit code on, which instantly clears and resets when you remove your bag.

So if a country where crime is virtually non-existent decided to make a way to secure your bags on its mass transit, I don't see why we can't do it here.
In all my years of riding MARTA, I have never seen anyone steal someone else's luggage. Why? It's inconvenient and the thief is not sure what's in the luggage. Makes getaways tougher waiting for the elevator

Old 11-17-2017, 12:22 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,780,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
In all my years of riding MARTA, I have never seen anyone steal someone else's luggage. Why? It's inconvenient and the thief is not sure what's in the luggage. Makes getaways tougher waiting for the elevator
When your ability to make money depends on what is in the luggage and you travel everywhere for work, you're perceptions will change.

This isn't meant to be a standard ahhh I hate MARTA lets trash it conservative baby-boomer I'm scared of black people rant, so please try not to be too self-defensive.

I travel throughout the world over half my life and I feel like this everywhere. Why? Because not only is what is in the luggage expensive, but my immediate ability to continue the job is tied to what is in the suitcase. Losing a bag would cause a ripple effect that will cost me 10s of thousands, because of the delays to the project it causes. (potentially more on occasion)

Now the real fear CQ is someone could easily take one bag and put me in a tough spot. They would be able to run away no problem and not need to take the elevator, but more stressful is I would have to make an immediate gut decision to leave part of my luggage and chase the guy or to let it go and stay with what is left behind.... all while I have a flight to catch.

Let's not be so naive to pretend there are no people in this world that won't take a moment of opportunity to steal something in public spaces. They exist all over.

The difference that exists on the MARTA train is that it happens to be the one place we are encouraged to stack our stuff in the corner and leave it to find a seat. Everywhere else in public I have my luggage in my immediate possession or it locked away or I'm in private quarters, whether it is a car, hotel, house, or work-site.

This also isn't unique to Atlanta or MARTA.

Beyond that... If you're really trying to change the image of a system or any other company, I wouldn't ignore the comments and concerns or potential consumers.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
When your ability to make money depends on what is in the luggage and you travel everywhere for work, you're perceptions will change.

This isn't meant to be a standard ahhh I hate MARTA lets trash it conservative baby-boomer I'm scared of black people rant, so please try not to be too self-defensive.

I travel throughout the world over half my life and I feel like this everywhere. Why? Because not only is what is in the luggage expensive, but my immediate ability to continue the job is tied to what is in the suitcase. Losing a bag would cause a ripple effect that will cost me 10s of thousands, because of the delays to the project it causes. (potentially more on occasion)

Now the real fear CQ is someone could easily take one bag and put me in a tough spot. They would be able to run away no problem and not need to take the elevator, but more stressful is I would have to make an immediate gut decision to leave part of my luggage and chase the guy or to let it go and stay with what is left behind.... all while I have a flight to catch.

Let's not be so naive to pretend there are no people in this world that won't take a moment of opportunity to steal something in public spaces. They exist all over.

The difference that exists on the MARTA train is that it happens to be the one place we are encouraged to stack our stuff in the corner and leave it to find a seat. Everywhere else in public I have my luggage in my immediate possession or it locked away or I'm in private quarters, whether it is a car, hotel, house, or work-site.

This also isn't unique to Atlanta or MARTA.

Beyond that... If you're really trying to change the image of a system or any other company, I wouldn't ignore the comments and concerns or potential consumers.
I completely understand your point, coming from a regular business traveler. I just hate airport-riders who put their luggage in a seat, when paying riders are having to stand. Carry-ons can fit under the seats, I know because that's where I put my when riding MARTA to the airport.
I have been that person to ask someone to move their luggage so I could sit. I have also seen MARTA PD tell riders to remove luggage from seats and aisle and place it under the seat or luggage area.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:47 PM

cq, I think you and I have had this conversation in the past...

I hate to sound like a broken record and keep bringing up Tokyo, but I really did find it to be the gold standard in transit. I don't see why we couldn't have the overhead luggage racks like they do. Nobody is going to reach above your head to steal something.

Tokyo riders put everything on those racks, even expensive handbags that probably have wallets full of money in them.

On MARTA, there is a big perception problem. As you say, probably nobody is going to grab your bag and run off...but if they did, how confident are you that you could catch them? If you're on your way to the airport, the stakes are just too high because it's not just a stolen item. If that happened, you'd probably have to cancel your entire trip.

I think we can all admit that MARTA has a pretty significant image problem. So instead of trying to get people to change their perceptions, which doesn't work very well and even if it does, takes a really long time....why don't we do something that addresses those concerns? Or else it's just going to continue to face the same struggles. I'd like to see a cost/benefit analysis on how much it would cost to install luggage locks versus how many fares are lost because people don't want to ride with their bags.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:01 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,928 times
I'm not sure I understand the complaint about luggage. You will have the same problem/risk using any means of public transport if you are carrying valuables.... be it bus, train, ferry, or simply walking down the street.

If your belongings are that important to your livelihood then it makes sense to use a more secure means of transportation to the airport. A private car drop-off to the airport entrance makes the most sense.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
simply walking down the street.
How is walking down the street with your luggage as risky as leaving it at the front of a crowded train unattended when you have to sit down maybe 20 or more feet away from it, sometimes with crowds of people blocking your path to it?

I can't think of a single instance anywhere involving luggage that is as risky a scenario as MARTA asks you for when you ride the train. They are basically asking you to simply trust everyone.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
cq, I think you and I have had this conversation in the past...

I hate to sound like a broken record and keep bringing up Tokyo, but I really did find it to be the gold standard in transit. I don't see why we couldn't have the overhead luggage racks like they do. Nobody is going to reach above your head to steal something.

Tokyo riders put everything on those racks, even expensive handbags that probably have wallets full of money in them.

On MARTA, there is a big perception problem. As you say, probably nobody is going to grab your bag and run off...but if they did, how confident are you that you could catch them? If you're on your way to the airport, the stakes are just too high because it's not just a stolen item. If that happened, you'd probably have to cancel your entire trip.

I think we can all admit that MARTA has a pretty significant image problem. So instead of trying to get people to change their perceptions, which doesn't work very well and even if it does, takes a really long time....why don't we do something that addresses those concerns? Or else it's just going to continue to face the same struggles. I'd like to see a cost/benefit analysis on how much it would cost to install luggage locks versus how many fares are lost because people don't want to ride with their bags.
I offered under the seat for carry on bags. From what I can tell by the picture, it could be close in size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta