Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:39 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,270,128 times

Advertisements

And as far as HRT, I'll meet y'all halfway on that one. First you do your part- you build that line in the city of Atlanta, with stops at Brookwood, Howell Mill, West Paces Ferry, etc. Bring it to Cumberland's doorstep, then at that point I'll definitely agree with you that it should be extended across the river to Cumberland.

But for now, it's a massive, massive, time-consuming undertaking that would take literally decades. It's not like the situation over in Norcross where the line is right there at the doorstep ready to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 09:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
And as far as HRT, I'll meet y'all halfway on that one. First you do your part- you build that line in the city of Atlanta, with stops at Brookwood, Howell Mill, West Paces Ferry, etc. Bring it to Cumberland's doorstep, then at that point I'll definitely agree with you that it should be extended across the river to Cumberland.

But for now, it's a massive, massive, time-consuming undertaking that would take literally decades. It's not like the situation over in Norcross where the line is right there at the doorstep ready to go.
Atlanta is going to focus it's transit funding on serving the core, BeltLine, and major corridors. The NW line would use up all the potential funding.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:54 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,108,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Not sure if you are a male or a female. If you are a male, a single male, would you ask a woman for her phone number for decades if she always kept saying no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Before I was a crusty broke high school student. She was the hot girl. I asked for her number but she thought she was too good for me. Now I got a great career, good credit, I look good and now that I'm hot she wants me to ask for her number but she still thinks she is too good for me. She would rather do it on her own but the region knows she would do better if she came to me. At this point her ass needs to court me. Bring me some sweet potato pie and wooo me. Fk it. Im doing good in my own. She needs me more than I need her. She needs to get her sh}t together because she has missed out on several good men and now she is about to miss out on the biggest prize in decades. If she thinks she can do it on her own then so be it
This analogy doesn't work

Cobb and gwinnett county are intwind with Atlanta, Atlanta can't divorce, or move pass Cobb and gwinnett

Atlanta, Cobb and gwinnett, are like different part of the same body, same team or different part of the same engine. You would want all parts or position at their best.

For instance Cobb and Gwinnett population past 700k in less than 440 sq mi. Most suburban counties that have large population like this usually have twice the area around 800 sq mi. This means they are more populated and dense than most suburban counties and they actually rival core counties of different metros like Nashville.

Taking them away is a decrease 1.6 millions. Metro Atlanta is now the size of Phoenix, Due the employment across the core counties with out Cobb and Gwinnett..... Seattle probably would have a larger GDP. Cobb and Gwinnett are important part of the region that are under performing with transit.

A better analogy would be sports.... Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, Dekalb and Clayton are the starters in metro Atlanta basketball teams. missing a star player would effect the team performance.... Metro Atlanta is trying to compete against skilled teams DFW, Houston, Seattle, Denver, Boston who ever and win..... attract companies, professional, events, tourism, grow GPA and etc.

I Think part of the problem itself is people in metro Atlanta still have the perspective like Gwinnett, Cobb, are these sleepy low populated suburban counties... like there still just 119,000 people then trasit is less critical, So they don't act and take on the responsibility of their size, like they're not 700k-900k people in these small county areas.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:56 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,270,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
When you do stuff like this that comes across as being selfish, because you are suggesting we ignore the finalized list of projects that serve areas all over the city to serve the NW (and of course where you live.)
Fair enough. I worded that thread poorly, maybe it was the mood I was in that day. I meant to suggest it as an addendum to other vital transit projects in the city.

Plus, it would only serve me because I only live just slightly outside the city. That line wouldn't be about Cobb. Residents inside the city limits in NW Atlanta/Buckhead should be served by high capacity transit, that their tax dollars pay for. The east side of the city shouldn't get to hog all the love for itself. Just because the west side is "lower density"... yeah, they're lower density because there's no TOD on the NW side. Rail transit would increase the density.

Quote:
High quality, dedicated lane, signal priority, off board fare collection, level boarding, station-like, Cobb Pkwy BRT is great for that corridor. The ROW exists to accomplish it and Tim Lee tried to get it funded. Focus the high quality transit and density along Cobb Pkwy/I-75.
Cobb can plan for MARTA-like tiered bus service coverage.
ART-level service on Atlanta Rd, S Cobb, Windy Hill/Macland, Austell Rd, Powder Springs Rd, Roswell Rd, Terrell Mill. With P&R transit centers in West and North Cobb that riders can park and catch the buses if they don't want to drive to the transit stations.
Exactly. Just having all that in place would make us all very happy and would help Cobb so much. So that's why I don't feel like the situation is anything at all like "if we don't have heavy rail, we'll die". Not at all.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:28 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,066,118 times
Is it possible to make MARTA commit to rail when voting it in?

I mean, could Gwinnett and Cobb vote in a penny sales tax and end up getting nothing but buses?

Old 09-26-2017, 10:52 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
As always an excellent read from Maria Saporta

https://saportareport.com/marta-jewe...ampaign=buffer
Douglas and Rockdale?????

Their needs would not be well served as a full member of MARTA. They are too different and will remain so for quite a while. Perhaps indefinitely.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Is it possible to make MARTA commit to rail when voting it in?

I mean, could Gwinnett and Cobb vote in a penny sales tax and end up getting nothing but buses?
Clayton split their 1% into 0.5% for local bus and 0.5% for future high capacity transit.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:17 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,066,118 times
So does that mean Gwinnett could vote in a half penny tax and just get rail? Because it already has its own bus system, that I imagine it would want to keep.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:18 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,125,655 times
Quote:
So does that mean Gwinnett could vote in a half penny tax and just get rail? Because it already has its own bus system, that I imagine it would want to keep.
Probably not.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
That's not a bus system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta