Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:06 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There are many things I see that are offensive, but I just ignore them.
When you see something offensive on public property, you don't have to ignore it. Of course, you may....but you don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 01:02 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its one of several monuments to DeKalb County war veterans in front of the court house. Its more prominent than the others. Unlike a statue of say, Jeff Davis, it actually honors local people.
CSA solder are not veterans to the US, they are traitor

Every single CSA soldier shame on them.... The only CSA soldiers statues that should exist is if the CSA Soldiers is on there knees looking down in disgraces for his action with union soldier standing over with his boot on his back. How about that for honoring?

Old 10-26-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsZ71 View Post
Funny how "people" are so offended by a statue, why not just ignore it, not like it's reaching out and smacking you. There are many things I see that are offensive, but I just ignore them. It's very strange how people want to pick and choose what history they want to erase.
It's funny how "people" are so offended by kneeling during the national Anthem when there actually no proper way to honor the flag, and the freedom of speech is something the flag itself represent in the first place.

Mean while those same "people" seen not to care about the CSA statutes which is actually treason with violence.

You can read history in textbooks, no body is stopping anything about learning about CSA the whole argument about erasing history is silly.

The Issue is just cause it's history doesn't means it should be honor.... building a statue is calling "honoring" history.

On public ground that taxes payers are paying why are there CSA statues that symbolizes a fight to enslave the half residents?

Last edited by chiatldal; 10-26-2017 at 02:00 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 01:32 PM

711 posts, read 683,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsZ71 View Post
Funny how "people" are so offended by a statue, why not just ignore it, not like it's reaching out and smacking you. There are many things I see that are offensive, but I just ignore them. It's very strange how people want to pick and choose what history they want to erase.
The very motivation of placing these monuments was either to whitewash history and present The Lost Cause as some honorable thing or as intimidation during the Jim Crow era to remind black people who was in charge. They're Confederate propaganda that doesn't need to be venerated in a public square. I don't know what we can do about the side of Stone Mountain, though.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:44 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Every single CSA soldier shame on them.... The only CSA soldiers statues that should exist is if the CSA Soldiers is on there knees looking down in disgraces for his action with union soldier standing over with his boot on his back. How about that for honoring?
How about we go further and dig up their remains and destroy them?

Old 10-26-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't have a problem with them moving it, although I wonder how many people are upset by it, or even aware of it?
Most black people never like the idea of the statues even they was being put up. 1870, 1940, 2017.

Blacks pretty much have just been passive and ignoring the bluntly symbol of racism. But it becomes a point to wonder why the heck are they still even up?

They was being put up in a time that half how the state was nearly black, in which the racist State Gov didn't care about and purposely discriminate and try to reduce the population. At the same time stone mountain basically became the headquarter for the second wave of klan nationality.

After 70's Blacks just gain civil rights and segregation barely just ended, there huge conserversy of even making the MLK day a national holiday in the 80's. During those decades you think conservative where going to listen to black civil right groups? Today the US is less racist Which is why they are being challance now.

basically

1865-1970 ...... They was being put against the wishes of the black population. The south was bluntly racist

1970-2000...... Blacks just gain civil rights and conservative leaders hesitate to listen to black civil right groups.

post 2000's..... with America being less racist, now there more stress to why are those pointless racist CSA are even still there.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
How about we go further and dig up their remains and destroy them?
lol nah I seen enough horror films

Old 10-26-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
The very motivation of placing these monuments was either to whitewash history and present The Lost Cause as some honorable thing or as intimidation during the Jim Crow era to remind black people who was in charge. They're Confederate propaganda that doesn't need to be venerated in a public square. I don't know what we can do about the side of Stone Mountain, though.
Build Union solders and leaders next it...

Then it was no longer be a CSA monument... but a general Civil War monument

Old 10-26-2017, 03:09 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
post 2000's..... with America being less racist, now there more stress to why are those pointless racist CSA are even still there.
Well, as I said, I am okay with moving this monument.

However, it would be way too simplistic to suggest that only the CSA were racist. Many Union soldiers opposed the emancipation of blacks and thousands of them bit the dust.

As is the case in most wars, whatever sentiments kicked it off, it wasn't long before soldiers on both sides were struggling for far more complex motives -- economics, religion, pride, sectionalism, revenge, honor, duty, family, you name it.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:19 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:

On behalf of my great-grandfather, who at age 16 was dragged off of his farm and by the grace of God survived that conflagration, and on behalf of his family, who survived privation, rape, and unspeakable abuse at the hands of those monsters you ennoble here, I say...well, use your imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta