Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:05 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,697,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It is stunning that these people don't realize how close to disaster they are. They may have the best parks system in the country and award winning schools and explosive growth, but without MARTA it's as hollow as an empty tin can.
That wasn't what I was talking about. Besides, it's also easy to have all that at the moment, but the sneaky issue of the GPS is that it's a long term problem. It's an issue that works on the generational scale.

For example, the town that I'm currently living in is currently solvent. They are able to continue functioning fairly well, maintaining most services, decent parks, a large airport supporting a lot of aerospace industry, and having a balanced budget.

That said, when you look at the long term infrastructure obligations, things start to look a bit worse. The city already has a fairly large backlog of road maintenance, which a recent special purpose gas tax is helping, but not keeping with. If you add up the lifetime costs of all the roads, maintenance and replacement, you see that the city needs to be dedicating a full 30% of its tax revenue towards just roads to handle only what it has. I know this, because I did the math. I even met with the city manager about it, and he both agreed and vouched for what I'd calculated.

Things get even worse when considering the needs of the various city departments, particularly the water department and its own internal budget shortfalls compared to maintenance backlogs.

This is not an issue that is unique to where I am. It is a wide-spread problem that affects massive-swaths of our nation, if not the wide-majority of it. The problem isn't even just about how much taxes are in place, it's a core problem with car-centric development problems. Even 'blighted' density is more valuable than brand-new sprawl, while also enabling far more trips to be completed with fewer trips.

Functional transit isn't a cure-all, no. Neither is density. They are, however, necessary to break past the threshold of fiscal sustainability for areas of large populations, which Gwinnett is.

This is not an opinion. This is measurable, quantifiable reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 12:14 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,063,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
This could be feasible for some kind of passenger commuter rail service, but not for local bus transit and such.
That's what I was saying, even though bus service that connects to the stations can be owned by the same company.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:42 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
That wasn't what I was talking about. Besides, it's also easy to have all that at the moment, but the sneaky issue of the GPS is that it's a long term problem. It's an issue that works on the generational scale.

For example, the town that I'm currently living in is currently solvent. They are able to continue functioning fairly well, maintaining most services, decent parks, a large airport supporting a lot of aerospace industry, and having a balanced budget.

That said, when you look at the long term infrastructure obligations, things start to look a bit worse. The city already has a fairly large backlog of road maintenance, which a recent special purpose gas tax is helping, but not keeping with. If you add up the lifetime costs of all the roads, maintenance and replacement, you see that the city needs to be dedicating a full 30% of its tax revenue towards just roads to handle only what it has. I know this, because I did the math. I even met with the city manager about it, and he both agreed and vouched for what I'd calculated.

Things get even worse when considering the needs of the various city departments, particularly the water department and its own internal budget shortfalls compared to maintenance backlogs.

This is not an issue that is unique to where I am. It is a wide-spread problem that affects massive-swaths of our nation, if not the wide-majority of it. The problem isn't even just about how much taxes are in place, it's a core problem with car-centric development problems. Even 'blighted' density is more valuable than brand-new sprawl, while also enabling far more trips to be completed with fewer trips.

Functional transit isn't a cure-all, no. Neither is density. They are, however, necessary to break past the threshold of fiscal sustainability for areas of large populations, which Gwinnett is.

This is not an opinion. This is measurable, quantifiable reality.
You make some great points, fourthwarden.

I wonder how we'll ever get a million Gwinnettians to turn around and head their lives in the opposite direction?

Old 11-01-2017, 08:28 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,755,620 times
I'm on 75 south in Cobb now at 10:30am and it's still backed up

Old 11-01-2017, 08:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Cobb County Commissioners:

Old 11-01-2017, 12:41 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,186,690 times
Quote:
Sorry, I also see one more possibility: 4) The laws are changed so that limited parts of Cobb/Gwinnett can join MARTA, instead of the whole county. As in, Cumberland CID/ Six Flags CID, Gwinnett Village CID, Gwinnett Place CID. Maybe the city of Peachtree Corners.
That is already possible. I can find the specifics of it but the state made it possible a few years ago for Marta to extend service outside of its jurisdiction without that entire county having to join Marta. Honestly, trying to find ways to appease the backwards, parochial, race-based thinking that has held this region back for decades is the wrong approach. That mentality just needs to die.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,270,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
That is already possible. I can find the specifics of it but the state made it possible a few years ago for Marta to extend service outside of its jurisdiction without that entire county having to join Marta.
Really?

If so, then that is the approach that should be taken, because the inner and south parts of Cobb and Gwinnett are definitely interested in joining MARTA. The real MARTA, as it is. And as it looks.

They should do what they did with the original conception of MARTA, but on a smaller scale. In the original idea, all the 5 counties were going to collectively vote yay or nay for MARTA in all the 5 counties. Then that was changed to each county voting for just itself to join or not.

Similarly, they should split Cobb and Gwinnett each into 5 chunks of territory, and those 10 areas can each choose to join or not join. (With the assumption that it would be unlikely that a farther out area would join, but a closer-in area would not.)

Old 11-01-2017, 01:34 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Really?

If so, then that is the approach that should be taken, because the inner and south parts of Cobb and Gwinnett are definitely interested in joining MARTA. The real MARTA, as it is. And as it looks.

They should do what they did with the original conception of MARTA, but on a smaller scale. In the original idea, all the 5 counties were going to collectively vote yay or nay for MARTA in all the 5 counties. Then that was changed to each county voting for just itself to join or not.

Similarly, they should split Cobb and Gwinnett each into 5 chunks of territory, and those 10 areas can each choose to join or not join. (With the assumption that it would be unlikely that a farther out area would join, but a closer-in area would not.)
Both Cumberland and South Cobb have MARTA bus service, multi-jurisdictional agreement. I am not sure if the same can be done for high-capacity transit routes.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:38 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Ever been on 75/85 N at 10 am in Atlanta where it wasn't backed up?

Old 11-01-2017, 01:49 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,270,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Both Cumberland and South Cobb have MARTA bus service, multi-jurisdictional agreement. I am not sure if the same can be done for high-capacity transit routes.
Those CID's would likely need to join the MARTA service area on a permanent basis for that, with a permanent MARTA tax set up for it. (Of some kind. Maybe it could be property tax, a sales tax, combo of each, or whatever.)

Gwinnett could maybe have a similar deal, with the Gwinnett Village and Gwinnett Place CID's allowing MARTA service along the I-85 corridor, but other parts of the county would not get service.

Peachtree Corners is really a critical area to join MARTA, as MARTA can't properly serve Johns Creek without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta