Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 11:02 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I doubt anybody in Cobb county would notice if the transit budget was cut.

But there's really nothing worse you can do for a community than to cut libraries and parks. Those are things that the big earning tax base covets, and if you alienate them, then you've got huge issues. No wealthy person wants to live in an area with struggling libraries or crummy parks.
I'm sure the people who make up the 2.8 Million trips annually on Cobb Linc buses would notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
CCT is the absolute worst. It was the "throw them a bone" solution back when it was founded in 1989 when the county was all full grown and in need of transit. If it hadn't have been created (and if the also-weak and underfunded GRTA had not been created a decade later), and Cobb had no public transit at all, then the public fury to join MARTA (and get actually good transit) would have escalated to a boil, and we'd have MARTA. Instead of the barely-existent non-comprehensive non-rapid bus-only transit non-solution that we have now.

MARTA should have been the only option in the first place.
Help us fight for this in the Transit 4 Cobb Campaign. We're slowly ramping up efforts and will need help from residents to push forward bringing MARTA to the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 11:11 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Help us fight for this in the Transit 4 Cobb Campaign. We're slowly ramping up efforts and will need help from residents to push forward bringing MARTA to the county.
I signed up and you have my 100% support. You know that.

Thanks for your efforts, but Cobb leadership are the ones with the power. We can't vote on any kind of referendum unless someone lets us.

And a big fat good luck getting progressive Democratic leaders at the helm in Cobb County.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:12 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I'm sure the people who make up the 2.8 Million trips annually on Cobb Linc buses would notice.

Thanks...just signed up

Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
Oh so, this is what happens when you decide to divert county funds towards a boondoogle of a baseball stadium. Oh well!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:12 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,513 times
The Cobb general fund pays $6.4mil per year for Sintrust park related expenses, so it's only 1/5 of the supposed budget shortfall (and the county realizes much more than $6.4mil positive impact from STP).

Boyce wants to raise taxes, this is his way of attempting to bend public will for his taxes.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:12 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,911,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
The Cobb general fund pays $6.4mil per year for Sintrust park related expenses, so it's only 1/5 of the supposed budget shortfall (and the county realizes much more than $6.4mil positive impact from STP).

Boyce wants to raise taxes, this is his way of attempting to bend public will for his taxes.
The school district is doing the same thing. They want to get rid of the senior property tax exemption and they are going to squeeze teacher pay for political leverage.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:51 PM

126 posts, read 231,922 times
I'd want to know what the leaders of Cobb County think the future is. Not just transportation-wise (There's a pretty big statement all along I-75 now) but for their schools and cities and business. What are their priorities? And if one of them is turning Cumberland into the district they want it to be, why not embrace urbanism? Look at Tyson's Corner in DC and how the Silver Line is changing the face of the neighborhood.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:38 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayateWind View Post
I'd want to know what the leaders of Cobb County think the future is. Not just transportation-wise (There's a pretty big statement all along I-75 now) but for their schools and cities and business. What are their priorities? And if one of them is turning Cumberland into the district they want it to be, why not embrace urbanism? Look at Tyson's Corner in DC and how the Silver Line is changing the face of the neighborhood.
Apples and oranges. Median household income in Tyson's corner, VA is over $100,000/yr. It is $64,000 in Cobb county. I used to live in Fairfax County (as a kid), and I can personally attest to the fact that the area is nowhere near as regressive nor poorly educated as Cobb County. Also, Fairfax Co. is 40% more densely populated with a lower unemployment rate.

It would take much more than a transit initiative to replicate these conditions in Cobb county.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:18 AM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Facing $30 million budget deficit, Cobb County commission gives direction to decrease library, transit funding
Wait.. Cobb County has transit?

Old 11-08-2017, 07:59 AM

1,054 posts, read 922,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
poorly educated as Cobb County
Buddy, if you believe Cobb is poorly educated you must really look down your nose at the rest of Atlana and the entire state of Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta