Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:07 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times

Advertisements

So I was just thinking...

The wisdom on this board is always the same (and it's true): live close to where you work. Otherwise, you'll be miserable commuting.

We accept this as fact. But take a step back for just a second and realize how utterly ridiculous that is. Some people like city life, others like suburban, some like county. Some people want liberal, others conservative, some people want new construction, others old buildings. You get the idea, the list goes on and on.

The metro area provides all of these things. So how fantastically ridiculous is it that we all just accept the fact that your preferences don't really matter that much. The most important thing is the location that some person you never met decided to build an office for the company that hired you.

I mean....we're literally LIVING FOR OUR JOBS!

This is insane.

I'm not saying our advice is wrong, or that there's anything we can do to change it. I'm just saying that we've created a city where your job not only rules you while you are there, but controls your life outside of work. For some people, factors like commute jive with their preferences and that's great. But think about how many people have to make concessions based on something as irrelevant and where the office they work in is located.

Yeah, I'm sure most metro areas have this, but not all of them. Certainly most of them not to the extent of Atlanta. I'd say in 90% of the US you don't have to live within 5 miles of your job or else be completely miserable. And yeah, we have a train that can solve some of that, but not all of it. Most people can't afford to live in the good areas MARTA goes and definitely aren't interested in pioneering the crummy areas it serves.

Anyway, rant over. I'm just saying...

Old 11-05-2017, 10:14 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Might be time to move to Camilla, GA where there are only a few lights.

Btw cultured people know cities have traffic and our traffic is no different than Most large cities in America.

Also I live and work on the MARTA line so while y'all suburban folks are stuck in traffic each morning I'm on MARTA chilling

Old 11-05-2017, 10:15 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Before the usual comments about badly needing transit/commuter rail/all that (which is of course 100% accurate), regionally we also need to look at zoning. Planning and zoning.

Gwinnett County, for example, needs a skyscraper high rise business district in the middle of its county. If it had that, then you could live in Suwanee and get to work quickly. You wouldn't have to take that job in Perimeter Center.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Before the usual comments about badly needing transit/commuter rail/all that (which is of course 100% accurate), regionally we also need to look at zoning. Planning and zoning.

Gwinnett County, for example, needs a skyscraper high rise business district in the middle of its county. If it had that, then you could live in Suwanee and get to work quickly. You wouldn't have to take that job in Perimeter Center.
With large employers like NCR and WestRock leaving to be closer to transit, they'll need more than just high density zoning to stay competitive.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:30 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times
People live for their jobs regardless of traffic. People relocate all the time for jobs.

Atlanta is large metropolitan area and comes with positives and negatives of being such.

Atlanta works beautifully for me. I live and work in the city. I have a 20 minute commute by train and walking.

My SO works out in the burbs and has a 30 minute commute by car.

It seems most of the traffic woes posted on this board are from people who work in the city but live in the suburbs. I know not everyone can afford to live in the city near transit but life is about give and take. You can't have everything you want without sacrificing something or doubling up on something else.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:51 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So I was just thinking...

The wisdom on this board is always the same (and it's true): live close to where you work. Otherwise, you'll be miserable commuting.

We accept this as fact. But take a step back for just a second and realize how utterly ridiculous that is. Some people like city life, others like suburban, some like county. Some people want liberal, others conservative, some people want new construction, others old buildings. You get the idea, the list goes on and on.

The metro area provides all of these things. So how fantastically ridiculous is it that we all just accept the fact that your preferences don't really matter that much. The most important thing is the location that some person you never met decided to build an office for the company that hired you.

I mean....we're literally LIVING FOR OUR JOBS!

This is insane.

I'm not saying our advice is wrong, or that there's anything we can do to change it. I'm just saying that we've created a city where your job not only rules you while you are there, but controls your life outside of work. For some people, factors like commute jive with their preferences and that's great. But think about how many people have to make concessions based on something as irrelevant and where the office they work in is located.

Yeah, I'm sure most metro areas have this, but not all of them. Certainly most of them not to the extent of Atlanta. I'd say in 90% of the US you don't have to live within 5 miles of your job or else be completely miserable. And yeah, we have a train that can solve some of that, but not all of it. Most people can't afford to live in the good areas MARTA goes and definitely aren't interested in pioneering the crummy areas it serves.

Anyway, rant over. I'm just saying...
I'll do my rant. The people who think people should live close to their job don't live in the real world. Even if you discount finances, schools and tolerance to crime, the fact is that most people change jobs fairly frequently. Companies hire and lay off. Lifetime at one job is extraordinarily rare these days and most families are dual income. Also, moving costs if you own are very expensive, in addition to the disruption of church, social and children's lives. The idea that you can create these centers all over the metro so people can live close to their jobs is one of the most idiotic concepts being pushed these days.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:01 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Traffic has ruined Atlanta, well said but not sure it should be a topic. It is pretty self explanatory.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:23 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
Let everyone work from home...that would be a quick fix...although its just not reality. Traffic was one of my reasons for leaving Atlanta, and from what I hear from my family...its ten times worst since I left 6 years ago.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:26 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
I don't know what traffic was like as I just moved here 2 years ago.
I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area so traffic is no worse than there. I think you need to be in a 2nd or 3rd tier city for traffic to become a minor issue.
Then again it's in the eye of the beholder.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:45 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Define ruin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta