Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:14 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Yes. Lets set the record straight so that we don't give out information without any factual basis. Regarding your anecdotal observations:

Mississippi and Alabama Most Protestant States in U.S.

Tracking Religious Affiliation, State by State
Excuse me, but what did he say in his last post that wasn't factual?

If we want to talk about an anecdotal observation, how about this one?

Quote:
I don't hear very much about Catholic schools around here. I do not think they are very prevalent.
https://archatl.com/offices/catholic...ols-directory/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:09 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Excuse me, but what did he say in his last post that wasn't factual?
Lets do a quick recap
Quote:
01-14-2018, 12:59 AM
Catholicism is far more prevalent in the northeast parts of the USA. Georgia has a lot of protestants (the plurality of which are baptists). I don't hear very much about Catholic schools around here. I do not think they are very prevalent.
I made two factual statements (prevalence of catholics and protestants) and expressed one opinion (do not think that catholic schools are very prevalent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
02-01-2018, 3:16 AM
I'm sorry, but this is just not accurate. I'm not Catholic, but many of my friends and neighbors are.
Atlanta has always had a Catholic presence, the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception Downtown has bullets from the Civil War lodged in its pews. There are almost two dozen Catholic Elementary, and four High schools in the Metro. The Archdiocese of Atlanta is the fastest growing in the Country, and counts more than a million Catholics.
Just setting the record straight.
JMatl states that my statements are not accurate. Says that Atlanta has always had a Catholic presence (which neither supports nor refutes any of my statements since they do not address the prevalence of that religious sect).
He then says that there are 16 catholic schools in the entire Atlanta metro and that the local Archdiocese is growing fast.

Instead of discussing anecdotal data about my friends and neighbors that I have had in my 20+ years here (some of whom are catholic), I supply him with actual data to support the factual statements I made in my post
Long story short, the northeast (where I have also lived for many years) is roughly ~30+% catholic, compared to 11% here in Georgia. This data supports the two factual statements I made.

As to my supposition about catholic schools not being prevalent, you supplied this information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
That web page shows a count of 18 catholic schools. Spread around the Atlanta area. The Atlanta metro has 1,140 PreK-12 public schools, which puts the approximate percentage of catholic schools at roughly 1.6%
There are more MARTA train stations than catholic schools in the Atlanta area.

Suffice it to say, there is more than enough evidence and data to support every statement I made in my post.

Your argument isn't with me, it is with reality itself.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:13 PM

1,376 posts, read 929,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonshirim View Post
Hi everybody! I've finally visited Atlanta with my family and we decided to rent for a year in a midtown condo. We really like Brookhaven though. Maybe we'll consider buying a house in the Brookhaven area in a couple years down the road. I've received so much good advice on this forum and I hope my experiences can help anybody else who's got similar concerns as mine. Thank you very much everybody!
Are you still in midtown? How do you like Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta