Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,636 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm living in Tampa, FL. and I haven't been in Atlanta yet. Recently I have had very atractive job offers from companies based in Atlanta; and a friend of mine is actually working there and he's pretty happy so far.

I am married and we have a one year old baby. I am thinking on moving to
Atlanta due to a couple of job offers and i'd like to see if anyone from Atlanta could give a sincere opinion of Atlanta's ambient and if you think it could be a good place for young families...I have read some comments and some of them argue that Atlanta is a good place if you're single or a young couple...

ok, any experiences/opinions or urban legends will be much apreciated.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 12:18 PM

57 posts, read 536,547 times
I think Atlanta is a fabulous place for young families! We just relocated, but felt that Atlanta was one of the more family-friendly places we've seen!

Some reasons why:
--TONS of things for kids to do...from a fantastic children's museum to tons and tons of public parks and playgrounds (I'm sure it depends on where you live, we were in one of the in-town neighborhoods in Buckhead and had 3 playgrounds within walking distance of us!), to the Botanical Gardens, which has a great children's garden that even toddlers can enjoy, to indoor bounce house type places...the list goes on

--Neighborhoods -- find a neighborhood with a strong neighborhood association like we did and you may also have access to seasonal activities like neighborhood easter egg hunts, Halloween parades where the kids march in costume, etc...plus get-togethers for adults only and babysitting co-ops...

--Affordable housing (guess this idea is relative, but we were coming from LA so we got lots more for our money!)-- we had a HUGE house with lots of areas for playrooms, and we didn't have a huge yard, but it was fenced!

--TONS of kids everywhere -- I swear, every one of our neighbors had 2-3 young kids, and we felt fine bringing our daughter out to eat because there were always lots of other kids around!

Just make sure you check out the safety of the neighborhood before you move! Because it is a city, there is a fair amount of crime and some areas are safer than others! You might find less crime in areas outside of Atlanta like Marietta (not sure where else, I am no expert but I bet others are) ...but you'd want to live close to where you work since traffic can be bad.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovintoJax View Post
--TONS of kids everywhere -- I swear, every one of our neighbors had 2-3 young kids, and we felt fine bringing our daughter out to eat because there were always lots of other kids around!
I have just read the description of Hell.
http://bestsmileys.com/evil/6.gif (broken link)

Old 03-23-2008, 04:52 AM

22 posts, read 90,293 times
Atlanta is currently the fastest growing metropolitan area in the US according to several different sources. The extreme growth brings its challenges, but the benefits far outweigh them. Our diverse and robust economy has helped those who live here fair the recent downturn in the nation's economy far better than other parts of the country. Atlanta is a young, vibrant city with loads of opportunities for those who want to grow with it. Atlanta is home for the busiest airport in the world and has the third largest concentration of Fortune 500 companies in the nation. Atlanta is a diverse city with people from all over the world. Atlanta's cultural activities and venues has grown dramatically over the last decade and offers a wealth of activities in which young familes can participate. Housing is still affordable compared to most other large metropolitan cities throughout the nation. Atlanta offers close proximity to various regions such as the North Georgia Mountains and Lake Lanier. You may miss the beach since Atlanta is land-locked. However, the airport or a five-hour drive can get you to Hilton Head, Savannah or the Gulf Coast off of Florida or Alabama. There is a man-made beach at Lake Lanier that offer some consolation. Great weather! You actually have a change of seasons and occasionally a day or two of snow, which is always fun for the kids. All and all, one of the best places to live in the country, in my opinion. Check out KNOWAtlanta.com :: Winter 2008 and Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce for some great information on relocating.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:39 AM

17 posts, read 56,613 times
Red face Kennesaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenche View Post
Hello all,

I'm living in Tampa, FL. and I haven't been in Atlanta yet. Recently I have had very atractive job offers from companies based in Atlanta; and a friend of mine is actually working there and he's pretty happy so far.

I am married and we have a one year old baby. I am thinking on moving to
Atlanta due to a couple of job offers and i'd like to see if anyone from Atlanta could give a sincere opinion of Atlanta's ambient and if you think it could be a good place for young families...I have read some comments and some of them argue that Atlanta is a good place if you're single or a young couple...

ok, any experiences/opinions or urban legends will be much apreciated.

thanks in advance.
I live in the tampa area also. I also lived near Atlanta. since you have family go where the good schools are "Cobb County" has the best. So Kennesaw, Acworth and Marietta are great places to start. I will be moving there again this summer.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
No one has asked the first question...where in ATL would you be working? You wouldn't want to live in Cobb County if you worked near the airport.

And Cobb County certainly doesn't have all the best schools. I does have good schools. But there are several very good schools elsewhere. You are not limited to Cobb.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Actually, Mableton and Austell in Cobb county are not a bad commute to the airport.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,531 times
How far would Mableton and Austell be from the airport. My husband is working at the airport and we have 3 elementary school age children. We also are looking for the good neighborhood and good schools without a horrible commute.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Mableton and Austell are not the areas people have in mind when they recommend Cobb for good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta