Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 01:03 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

Wealthy black families have always moved to Fayette County for the same reasons wealthy white families do. I don’t know why this is so hard to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 01:11 PM

475 posts, read 684,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I need to see some data. I flew over South Fulton a few days ago and was surprised how much red dirt there was in the neighborhoods; I got the impression the area is expanding rapidly.
It is. Neighborhoods with homes upward of $400k along South Fulton Parkway, Old Fairburn Road, Stonewall Tell, and so on. From all appearances, mostly black residents.

This neighborhood is full of homes (hundreds, not that that's good), and they are rapidly building more: https://www.meritagehomes.com/state/...nd-the-estates

Fairburn also has quite a few well-to-do neighborhoods (though I woudn't use the term 'rich'), and those seem to be more mixed white/black. I have done no studies; I've just driven through - often.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:53 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
It is. Neighborhoods with homes upward of $400k along South Fulton Parkway, Old Fairburn Road, Stonewall Tell, and so on. From all appearances, mostly black residents.

This neighborhood is full of homes (hundreds, not that that's good), and they are rapidly building more: https://www.meritagehomes.com/state/...nd-the-estates

Fairburn also has quite a few well-to-do neighborhoods (though I woudn't use the term 'rich'), and those seem to be more mixed white/black. I have done no studies; I've just driven through - often.
South Fulton is growing, but not nearly as fast as Coweta County (which is exploding, relatively speaking), which is also where a lot of the wealthier black people in South Fulton are fleeing to. There hasn't been a whole lot of new retail / restaurants opening up around that area compared to the Highway 34 corridor and the number of new construction homes pale in comparison.

You can tell by the traffic volume too. Newnan's traffic is much worse than Fairburn or Union City's.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:21 PM

475 posts, read 684,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
South Fulton is growing, but not nearly as fast as Coweta County (which is exploding, relatively speaking), which is also where a lot of the wealthier black people in South Fulton are fleeing to. There hasn't been a whole lot of new retail / restaurants opening up around that area compared to the Highway 34 corridor and the number of new construction homes pale in comparison.

You can tell by the traffic volume too. Newnan's traffic is much worse than Fairburn or Union City's.
Likely true, and I haven't researched it. I was not comparing the two's growth rate. I was replying specifically to the question about whether there was growth and new construction in South Fulton - which you agree in your opening that there is.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:26 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
I don't get it. Is it just rich black people leaving? Are the rich asian, white and hispanic people staying? No? Maybe its rich people leaving a poor area, then.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:00 PM

184 posts, read 205,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I don't get it. Is it just rich black people leaving? Are the rich asian, white and hispanic people staying? No? Maybe its rich people leaving a poor area, then.

I think the area is mostly rich blacks. As to why they are leaving, the truth is no matter how well manicured a black neighborhood is, no matter how low the crime is, the houses in a black neighborhood will not gain in value because whites do not want to buy houses in black neighborhoods. In this country whites are the ones who have the wealth to purchase houses. Blacks in south Fulton have seen their housing values stagnate or decline simply because the area is majority black. If they want houses that appreciate in value ( in demand houses), they need to buy in Kirkwood, Grant Park, Ansley, Midtown, etc. I look on real estate sites and the huge 5 bed 5 bath houses on the manicured lawns there are selling for 300-350k, the same thing they sold for in 2003. If you dropped the same house somewhere in east Atlanta, it would have gained 500k or greater in value by now.

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:15 AM..

Old 04-18-2018, 11:00 PM

197 posts, read 204,545 times
According to this national precinct map, the influx of well off blacks into Fayette County has flipped Fayetteville blue.

https://decisiondeskhq.com/data-dive...-precinct-map/

Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Likely true, and I haven't researched it. I was not comparing the two's growth rate. I was replying specifically to the question about whether there was growth and new construction in South Fulton - which you agree in your opening that there is.
Fair enough.

The difference too is in the quality of growth. While Coweta is mostly gaining middle to upper middle class residents from Fayette and South Fulton, My understanding (though I could be wrong) is that it's mainly lower / working class residents from SW Atlanta and Clayton County settling into South Fulton these days, since it lacks a lot of the amenities that would attract higher income residents. This is the reason, at least in part, the mall in Union City declined and was eventually closed in favor of Ashley Park.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:32 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
I think the area is mostly rich blacks. As to why they are leaving, the truth is no matter how well manicured a black neighborhood is, no matter how low the crime is, the houses in a black neighborhood will not gain in value because whites do not want to buy houses in black neighborhoods. In this country whites are the ones who have the wealth to purchase houses. Blacks in south Fulton have seen their housing values stagnate or decline simply because the area is majority black. If they want houses that appreciate in value ( in demand houses), they need to buy in Kirkwood, Grant Park, Ansley, Midtown, etc. I look on real estate sites like the huge 5 bed 5 bath houses on the manicured lawns there are selling for 300-350k, the same thing they sold for in 2003. If you dropped the same house somewhere in east Atlanta, it would have gained 500k or greater in value by now.

What an ignorant, untrue, and false statement to make.

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:15 AM..

Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 AM

184 posts, read 205,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post

What an ignorant, untrue, and false statement to make.

What are you talking about? The vast majority of homes in this country are bought by white people, and their preferences drive the market. I'm not saying minorities don't by homes, they just don't do so at nearly the rate white people do, even when adjusted for population. What I say is neither ignorant, untrue, or false. If it were you would have made a more substantial argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta