Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,665,242 times

Advertisements

Until last year, GA Tech compiled data by high school (if 10 or more students enrolled). They call it a snapshot and it really is just that.

Admission Snapshots | Institutional Research and Planning

If you are interested in what it takes to get into TECH you might find this a worthwhile tool.

Rigor is likely defined by number of AP or IB classes that a student has taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 02:52 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,787,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Until last year, GA Tech compiled data by high school (if 10 or more students enrolled). They call it a snapshot and it really is just that.

Admission Snapshots | Institutional Research and Planning

If you are interested in what it takes to get into TECH you might find this a worthwhile tool.

Rigor is likely defined by number of AP or IB classes that a student has taken.
Average GPA of accepted freshman from Grady High School —4.08

“Your test scores were great, and we were really impressed with your extracurriculars, but I am sorry, we just can’t get past that GPA of yours.”
“I have a 4.0.”
“Exactly!”

Old 04-17-2018, 03:12 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Average GPA of accepted freshman from Grady High School —4.08

“Your test scores were great, and we were really impressed with your extracurriculars, but I am sorry, we just can’t get past that GPA of yours.”
“I have a 4.0.”
“Exactly!”
That's probably the weighted score. AP classes get a higher scoring than normal classes, which allows for GPAs over 4.0. Grady has (had when I was there at least) a strong AP presence, in addition to a good relationship with colleges for early classes and transferred credits.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:42 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
Nice. I love how the private schools are on there too and I can compare with public schools. Definitely valuable for people trying to weigh which school to send their kids to.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:44 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Nice. I love how the private schools are on there too and I can compare with public schools. Definitely valuable for people trying to weigh which school to send their kids to.
I would imagine that more private high school kids go out of state to college than do public high school kids.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I would imagine that more private high school kids go out of state to college than do public high school kids.
Most likely, but the first year gpa at GT and the rigor is still a nice way to compare schools with each other.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Most likely, but the first year gpa at GT and the rigor is still a nice way to compare schools with each other.
And "rigor" is thought to be the number of AP courses taken?

Old 04-18-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
And "rigor" is thought to be the number of AP courses taken?
That's what it looks like.

If a kid gets into Tech with only 6 AP/IB classes does that mean the school is more respected?

Old 04-18-2018, 10:06 AM

221 posts, read 190,190 times
Quote:
That's what it looks like.

If a kid gets into Tech with only 6 AP/IB classes does that mean the school is more respected?
I doubt it, more likely that the kid has other outstanding aspects in their application that make up for a less rigorous course load. Good schools have more AP/IB offerings anyways so if anything if a kid from those schools elect to take an easier course load then it could actually hurt them. Can't really fault a kid with only 6 AP classes when the school only offers 6. If the school offers 20 AP classes but he/she only takes 6 then...

Old 04-18-2018, 10:33 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,787,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
I doubt it, more likely that the kid has other outstanding aspects in their application that make up for a less rigorous course load. Good schools have more AP/IB offerings anyways so if anything if a kid from those schools elect to take an easier course load then it could actually hurt them. Can't really fault a kid with only 6 AP classes when the school only offers 6. If the school offers 20 AP classes but he/she only takes 6 then...
Overall Woodwoord has one of the lowest scores for rigor and gpa—but their test scores are high, and when at GT they seem to do above average.
There are some interesting stats if you dig around—for example, Parkview HS really looks more impressive in most categories than rival (and somewhat more highly regarded) Brookwood—including grades freshman year. Sort of wonder if some of the Parkview kids that did not get offered into GT would have gotten in if they had transferred to neighboring Tucker senior year (which had much lower scores in all categories—but also had a much lower acceptance rate).
Edit—looks like Parkview had a jump in it’s great Schools rating this year, while Brookwood dipped a little—both scored a 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: