Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Ugh... Scraper... you can have diversity in a school/school system and still have excellent schools. Decatur City schools are very similar demographically to Cobb's and we outperform them as a system on every measure that I have looked at.
Don't waste your time... racist people will never understand the difference between race and class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Don't waste your time... racist people will never understand the difference between race and class.
Correct. Maybe the reason that some Cobb schools with predominantly "minority" students had poorer scores than some schools with majority white student bodies is that the minority areas are lower income areas? Maybe the lower income students have two working parents who spend less time with them, or maybe only a single parent? Maybe most of the white students (presumably in East Cobb and Kennesaw/Acworth) have higher income parents and probably one parent at home? Could that translate into higher scores due to better resources and more parental involvement?

Race may not be the discriminating (I hope you understand what that word means) factor here, maybe income is the factor?

Old 03-30-2008, 03:13 PM

340 posts, read 1,577,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Correct. Maybe the reason that some Cobb schools with predominantly "minority" students had poorer scores than some schools with majority white student bodies is that the minority areas are lower income areas? Maybe the lower income students have two working parents who spend less time with them, or maybe only a single parent? Maybe most of the white students (presumably in East Cobb and Kennesaw/Acworth) have higher income parents and probably one parent at home? Could that translate into higher scores due to better resources and more parental involvement?

Race may not be the discriminating (I hope you understand what that word means) factor here, maybe income is the factor?
Income is one of several factors that explains the variations in academic achievements. However there are other factors that can affect students' achievments. Mostly highly educated parents tend to spend more time and resources in kid's education, therefore they can do better at school. Certainly minimum income level is required for parents to provide a good education after school. In my personal experience and people who I know, the more you spend time with your kids in helping their education, the better they can do. Our public school system only educates kids to be good citizens, rather than being scientists or something. We need to provide them with extra help before they are equiped with knowledge to become well rounded individuals.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:15 PM

7 posts, read 32,894 times
Default High School Transfer Students Second Class Citizens in Cherokee County

My wife and I relocated to Cherokee County in August. We researched this subject, we visited several schools before we bought a house, we asked all the right question.

My daughter transferred in as a junior she loves the school, the academics are as good as Fairfax County, Virginia where we transferred from, the teachers are a dedicated bunch who spend countless hours before and after school working with the students. We love the school, the county school district stinks.

Cherokee County weights the grades of honors and AP courses heavily, and even though the written policy says they will only report weighted grades on transcripts and only weighted grades will be used to calculate class rank, the county refuses to weight transfer grades making if virtually impossible for a transfer student to compete for any award that is based on class rank (valdictorian, salutorian, etc.) or to meet the requirements of a top tier college which generally accept only those students ranked in the top 10% of their high school class, or even a middle tier school which generally accepts only those students ranked in the top 25% of thier high school class, and forget about an academic scholarship. Every student who transfers into Cherokee County School District is handicapped and treated as a second class citizen.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:48 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Creekview

Actually, the most competitive schools don't look at class rank, weighted GPAs, etc. Most colleges, including UGA, recaculate a student's GPA without the weights. SAT scores, grades, and leadership roles in extracurriculars are all very important. Depending on the school, geographic and racial diversity, as well as socio-economic diversity, might help as well.

They look at the rigor of a child's schedule, ie did the student take the hardest courses the school had to offer and how did they do in those classes. That is why, right now, you are hearing people complain that one student with a 3.4 got into UGA while another with a 3.8 didn't. The 3.4 kid probably took the more advanced classes. (though I do know one student who didn't take particularly difficult coursework and still got into UGA.)

Harvard (and other ivies) have even discussed doing away with credits for AP courses.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:08 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Harvard (and other ivies) have even discussed doing away with credits for AP courses.
Yes, I can see why. AP is becoming the new "honors". "Honors" the new "on-level, college-prep."

Old 05-06-2008, 08:19 PM

12 posts, read 39,985 times
Default Growth vs. Best School

Considering purchasing a home in either Kennesaw, Acworth or Woodstock. We need to be close to KSU so all will work well...

I am very concerned about finding the best elementary school for my daughter and realized that this thread is dated from last year. Am wondering if there is anyone out there with recent opinions about this subject? Also, anyone know about the Pre-K programs in these areas as well?

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfli_Bleu View Post
Considering purchasing a home in either Kennesaw, Acworth or Woodstock. We need to be close to KSU so all will work well...

I am very concerned about finding the best elementary school for my daughter and realized that this thread is dated from last year. Am wondering if there is anyone out there with recent opinions about this subject? Also, anyone know about the Pre-K programs in these areas as well?

Thanks!
Have you tried the schools forum? At the top of Atlanta forum. Someone will be happy to share FYI.

Basically research the high schools--greatschools.com is one way --and then find the elementary and middle schools in the cluster.

You can always click 'Search' at the top of the page--do an Advanced Search/Atlanta--pages of threads are listed.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:33 PM

78 posts, read 371,290 times
Butterfli Bleu,
From all my research around there....Ford, Bullard, Vaughan, Bullard, Due West seemed to be the best. Hope that helps.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:20 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Cobb county has great schools. Cobb county has a few areas with high high concentrations of poor students and additionally, regardless of how good the schools are in Cobb, many parents sadly send their children to private schools because they are rich and can afford it. Therefore, test scores won't properly reflect how good Cobb county's educational system is. It's probably the best in the metro area and if not that definitely up near the top of the list. East Cobb, West Cobb, Vinings and Marietta especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta