Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
I didn't omit it. It's up there.
Me thinks a 9pm edit is afoot. If you say it was there, then maybe I missed it. I'm heartbroken that they only achieved and "okay"... I was hoping for an "okay +"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:43 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Scraper doesn't go by facts and test scores- he goes by demographics- more than 95% white = excellent schools- don't you know that????

Y'all...

Mr. Kovacs already summed up Scraper's criteria (and agenda) perfectly (see above and earlier post).

Well said, Mr. Kovacs.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:02 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
By another comparison, Cherokee County has only six middle schools in total. The average score from Cobb's six highest-scoring middle schools is 97, a score that's well above the best score in Cherokee.

Cherokee has a much smaller and more homogeneous population than Cobb, and likely does not have pockets of poverty comparable with what some Cobb schools have to contend with. However, the test scores in Cobb's most socially advantaged areas are clearly better than Cherokee's best. Not that test scores are a be-all and end-all. Still, your claims seem not well supported by the facts you supplied.
Cobb's scores are low simply because of the differences in race amongst its schools. It is not socioeconomic status. Read "Wealth and IQ of Nations". Blacks, even when socioeconomic status is controlled for, score at fifteen percent lower than Caucasian (white) students, and about eighteen points lower than Asian students. Check out the racial demographics of the schools posted, and you'll see the pattern emerge.

Are there very intelligent blacks? Yes. However, on the average, as a group they score much lower, even when things such as socioeconomic status are controlled for. Many studies back up what I'm saying. It's just a fact.

Cherokee does have fewer schools, but all middle schools score above ninety percent, with the exception of the schools of Teasley Middle, which has a school enrollment of over ten percent Hispanic Mestizos (on IQ tests, these individuals score much lower), and Woodstock Middle, which has a sizeable (about ten to fifteen percent) black population.

The difference of scores in the low 90% proficiency, as opposed to some East Cobb Schools with proficiency in the high 90s can probably be attributed to a few things: 1) Socioeconomic Status does play a minor role, and I never dismiss it entirely, even when talking about the "ugly" school, but it is a minor factor, but it seems to carry a little more weight between these schools, given demographics are fairly similar; 2) Larger school districts tend to not concentrate as many wealthy, which brings it down slightly. Look at Creekland Middle at 94%, it's comparable almost to East Cobb Schools, and it sits in the most wealthy area of Cherokee County. However, because it has a larger district, it brings in a slightly more diverse mix of income, causing the results to skew. (Don't think that Income equates with intelligence: There is a correlation because people with higher income are able to have one parent at home, helping the students with their work, etc., then lower income households that have two parents working).

Old 05-12-2008, 05:13 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Default Any moderators out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Cobb's scores are low simply because of the differences in race amongst its schools. It is not socioeconomic status.
Is racism acceptable on the forum?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Is racism acceptable on the forum?

Hello Rainy--

I've been wondering the same thing for a while. It's funny how some things are conveniently designated "opinions" instead of racism.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Racism is not acceptable on the forums, but the statement that was referenced isn't racism either. I may not agree with Scraper's statements/agenda, and it may walk a thin line, but its not violating the TOS- yet.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Racism is not acceptable on the forums, but the statement that was referenced isn't racism either. I may not agree with Scraper's statements/agenda, and it may walk a thin line, but its not violating the TOS- yet.

It is racism. That's the problem...many people think racism has to mean Ku Klux Klan marching and burning crosses.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It is racism. That's the problem...many people think racism has to mean Ku Klux Klan marching and burning crosses.
And some people think that any mention of one group performing better or worse than the other is racism. Both are extreme examples.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
For the record, I think there are many criticisms that could be made of Scraper's arguments. However, given that his fundamental position is racism, in my opinion, I believe the most appropriate response is just not to engage this kind of discussion at all. I guess this is what you were effectively recommending earlier, Bob. I personally would favor restrictions against Scraper's kind of talk. Regardless, I'm outta here.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
And some people think that any mention of one group performing better or worse than the other is racism. Both are extreme examples.
No.

I really cannot believe that some people are allowed to be moderators. This forum is not supposed to exist to further a worldview or agenda (or as an outlet to covertly and comfortably vent racist frustrations with diversity and modern-American society).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta