Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most accurate name for this part of north DeKalb?
North Druid Hills 24 70.59%
Briarcliff 8 23.53%
Toco Hills 3 8.82%
Other (please specify--Emory, Druid Hills, North Decatur, North DeKalb, etc.) 3 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:26 PM

187 posts, read 403,902 times

Advertisements

+

The area immediately east until Northlake Mall, including Oak Grove, Vista Grove, Echo Hills, Lakeside High.

What do you guys think?

It seems like the long-timers refer to this area as Briarcliff, but I cant find any history on this name, where it came from, if it was once a settlement/town, etc. Does anyone know? It was used to name the local high school that is now closed (Briarcliff High) and the library, also now closed (Briarcliff Library). It seems like this name is kind of going by the wayside in recent years though. People my age (23) never use it to describe this area.

A local media site, the Patch, covers the area as North Druid Hills-Briarcliff patch.

News - North Druid Hills-Briarcliff, GA Patch

The U.S. Census Bureau refers to the area as North Druid Hills, but that doesn't mean much (they refer to Brookhaven as "North Atlanta").

Toco Hills, while certainly in popular use, doesnt really describe the whole area, but really a part of the area (Toco Hill Shopping Center and area immediately surrounding).

Finally, there seems to be a LOT of other uses, such as: Emory, Druid Hills, North DeKalb, LaVista, etc.

What do you think?

Last edited by kirkwoodhipster; 05-18-2011 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 04:35 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,006 times
I used to live north of there and always wanted to call it Briarcliff???

Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
North Druid Hills (30329), as defined by its' Resident's Association:

North Druid Hills Residents Association

Generally, the locals consider Briarcliff Road to be NDH's western boundary.
LaVista Park and Oak Grove are considered to be separate neighborhoods with their own RAs.

Last edited by Iconographer; 05-19-2011 at 06:51 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post

+
Finally, there seems to be a LOT of other uses, such as: Emory, Druid Hills, North DeKalb, LaVista, etc.

What do you think?
I think that you can thank the local realtors for that.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:

It seems like the long-timers refer to this area as Briarcliff, but I cant find any history on this name, where it came from, if it was once a settlement/town, etc. Does anyone know?
Yes. Briarcliff was the name of one of the Candler estates in Druid Hills. The house still stands on the land where the GA Mental Health facility was located. The land is now owned by Emory. It's located between N Decatur Rd and Stillwood Drive on Briarcliff Rd.
It was quite a place in its' day and even had its' own zoo.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,291,367 times
I think we shoud, call it Lil' D.C.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
North Druid Hills (30329), as defined by its' Resident's Association:

North Druid Hills Residents Association

Generally, the locals consider Briarcliff Road to be NDH's western boundary.
LaVista Park and Oak Grove are considered to be separate neighborhoods with their own RAs.
Interesting. I noticed that the street-sign toppers said "North Druid Hills". What do you refer to this area as?

And is there name that seems to cover both NDH and LaVista Park and Oak Grove?

Old 05-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes. Briarcliff was the name of one of the Candler estates in Druid Hills. The house still stands on the land where the GA Mental Health facility was located. The land is now owned by Emory. It's located between N Decatur Rd and Stillwood Drive on Briarcliff Rd.
It was quite a place in its' day and even had its' own zoo.
Thanks for the info!!

It seems like people say "I'm in Briarcliff" less and less, but would you agree that at one time it was a definable area?

I think Briarcliff is a beautiful name for an area/city, BTW.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info!!

It seems like people say "I'm in Briarcliff" less and less, but would you agree that at one time it was a definable area?

I think Briarcliff is a beautiful name for an area/city, BTW.
No, I never heard the neighborhood referred to as 'Briarcliff' in all the time that I lived there.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM

124 posts, read 399,742 times
I lived in the Oak Grove School district for 15 years and everyone just called it "Oak Grove". I have never heard of any area just called "Briarcliff", although the Hawthorne area is now referring to themselves as "North Briarcliff" and they have the street toppers that say it. I have heard the overall area along Briarcliff and Lavista all the way from Briarvista to Northlake referred to as the "Briarcliff/Lavista corridor".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta