Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,807 times

Advertisements

Hello,
we are in the process of relocating to ATL from CLT. We have narrowed our search to Druid Hills and Morningside. We have a rising 4th grader. Pluses and minuses for either locale? The two houses under consideration are only 2 miles apart and honestly we'd be thrilled w/either. But was looking for CURRENT thoughts on the neighborhoods, sense of community and the elementary/middle schools. Of course, always mindful of resale given our target budget 900k+. We are a family of color :-)
We are very open to private school if needed.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 02:39 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
One question: Is the Druid Hills house within the City of Atlanta or unincorporated DeKalb County? This would make a difference with regard to schools.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:02 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
One question: Is the Druid Hills house within the City of Atlanta or unincorporated DeKalb County? This would make a difference with regard to schools.
Morningside, Springdale Park (city of Atlanta DH) or Fernbank (unincorporated Dekalb) are all good schools.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:04 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Morningside and city of Atlanta DH both feed Inman MS. Fernbank feeds Druid Hills MS.

If your child is in advanced classes, either can work. If not, you would want to go private for middle school.

The elementaries in the area are much stronger than the middle schools.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:46 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Morningside and city of Atlanta DH both feed Inman MS. Fernbank feeds Druid Hills MS.

If your child is in advanced classes, either can work. If not, you would want to go private for middle school.

The elementaries in the area are much stronger than the middle schools.
I am not sure if any of Druid Hills or Morningside is still zoned for Briar Vista Elementary—its reputation is not as good as the other elementaries in the area. The other elementary schools in the area have very good reputations, as bu2 mentioned.

Inman Middle has a better reputation than Druid Hills Middle—though I am not sure that they are that different. I have one child currently at Inman and one child that has gone through, and we have found the teaching uneven for both advanced and non-advanced classes—and it is possible to get a bad teacher for a core subject there (almost every family I know has encountered at least one). The amount of advanced classes that you are allowed per semester to take at Inman is pretty limited. —even with that, it has been mostly a good experience, and I am glad that we have sent our children there. There are also many excellent clubs at Inman.
Grady and Druid Hills High probably have similar reputations, though I believe that the percentage of wealthy-educated families with children at Grady will continue to increase—due to gentrification, while that percentage at Druid Hills will probably be flat. After one year at Grady—it seems similar in quality to Inman, though I think there is more opportunity to put together a schedule that avoids the worst teachers- comprised mostly of advanced and AP classes.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I am not sure if any of Druid Hills or Morningside is still zoned for Briar Vista Elementary—its reputation is not as good as the other elementaries in the area.
They're not. Morningside is entirely within the CoA, and Briarvista is only zoned for North Druid Hills, La Vista Park and Woodland Hills.

Moderator cut: Link removed, competitor site

Last edited by CavalierKing; 07-02-2018 at 05:32 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 07:03 PM

16,689 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I am not sure if any of Druid Hills or Morningside is still zoned for Briar Vista Elementary—its reputation is not as good as the other elementaries in the area. The other elementary schools in the area have very good reputations, as bu2 mentioned.

Quote:
They're not. Morningside is entirely within the CoA, and Briarvista is only zoned for North Druid Hills, La Vista Park and Woodland Hills.

Moderator cut: Link removed, competitor site
The eastern sliver of Druid Hills is zoned for Briar Vista Elementary School:

http://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/docum...ance-areas.pdf

https://www.google.com/search?q=map+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://druidhills.org/DHCA-Division-Map

Last edited by CavalierKing; 07-02-2018 at 05:33 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Serious hairsplitting. That was always considered NDH in my corner of the world.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:45 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,028 times
Quote:
Serious hairsplitting. That was always considered NDH in my corner of the world.
Yeah, but it is little things like that you want to be aware of when you are house hunting.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:50 PM

16,689 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Really? Y’all considered the area along Briarcliff Road going way south towards Ponce—and wedged next to Virginia-Highland/southern Morningside—as North Druid Hills? Interesante.

Because sections 3 and 6 on this neighborhood map of Druid Hills are full-on zoned for Briar Vista:
https://druidhills.org/DHCA-Division-Map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta