Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 11:38 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times

Advertisements

Whenever someone thinks about Atlanta they rarely think of anything south of I20. This includes those who visit and those that live on the northside. It’s not hidden that many have a northside bias when speaking about the city, dismissing anything good that exists on the southern end. Now that there is a big film presence, and development has returned in full force in formally neglected counties, when will Atlantians finally take this side of the city seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 12:46 PM

654 posts, read 527,320 times
The Southside will be taken serious when it's finally safe to go there.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:50 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
How is it currently not safe? I’ve never understood this notion, there’s nothing more dangerous about the southside. I’m wondering if the people saying that have never lived anywhere that wasn’t extremely wealthy.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:02 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
The reality is, for people who feel being near the Blue Ridge Mountains and/or Lake Lanier are non-negotiable, the Southside will never be able to compete for them as far as being taken seriously. There's nothing the Southside can do about those things.

Another reason the Northside is more highly sought -after is because they have a disproportionately higher concentration of finance / tech / engineering jobs. The plethora of warehouses being built along I-85 and I-75 that only generate low skilled/low-paying jobs do nothing for young and older educated professionals who like to job hop or fear for their job security.

The Southside's best bet would be to aggressively go after companies that will create a ton of white collar / high-paying jobs. Attracting places like CTCA as well as developments like Aerotropolis (Porsche) is a start, but collectively it will have to get even more aggressive in attracting these higher-quality employers if it wants to see more higher-quality growth/investment like the Northside.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:28 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times
I don't think that way when I think of Atlanta. But quite frankly, I don't take anyone seriously if they don't know or have not experienced an entirety of the city's area. Otherwise I'd have to be the person to challenge people's malformed misconceptions about an area they obviously don't care enough about to gather their own facts. I prefer the feel of downtown and east/west under 20. Always have. And I am warming up to the westside the buckles along 20.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:50 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
when will Atlantians finally take this side of the city seriously?

What's an "Atlantian?"

Old 07-28-2018, 01:52 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
What an ignorant, blanket statement.

There are plenty of safe areas in the south metro, just as there are plenty of rough areas in the north metro.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:57 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
That’s not true. For starts Hartsfield, Chick Fil Lay Headquarters, Delta Airlines Hq., Porsche NA Hq., World Changers (television ministry reaches billions and advertisers College Park), Tyler Perry Studios, Woodward Academy, Kipps, etc. promotes a great image of the South Metro.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:10 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
It’s really been no secret since the White Flight that started in the 1960 and 70’s, but the trend is changing.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:50 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Whenever someone thinks about Atlanta they rarely think of anything south of I20. This includes those who visit and those that live on the northside. It’s not hidden that many have a northside bias when speaking about the city, dismissing anything good that exists on the southern end. Now that there is a big film presence, and development has returned in full force in formally neglected counties, when will Atlantians finally take this side of the city seriously?
The exploding presence of the TV/Film Production industry throughout parts of the Southern Crescent is already causing notoriously Northside-oriented metro Atlantans to take the Southside more seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The reality is, for people who feel being near the Blue Ridge Mountains and/or Lake Lanier are non-negotiable, the Southside will never be able to compete for them as far as being taken seriously. There's nothing the Southside can do about those things.

Another reason the Northside is more highly sought -after is because they have a disproportionately higher concentration of finance / tech / engineering jobs. The plethora of warehouses being built along I-85 and I-75 that only generate low skilled/low-paying jobs do nothing for young and older educated professionals who like to job hop or fear for their job security.

The Southside's best bet would be to aggressively go after companies that will create a ton of white collar / high-paying jobs. Attracting places like CTCA as well as developments like Aerotropolis (Porsche) is a start, but collectively it will have to get even more aggressive in attracting these higher-quality employers if it wants to see more higher-quality growth/investment like the Northside.
These are excellent points and comments, and, as evidenced in Atlwarrior's comments, the Southside is already aggressively going after the types of high-paying jobs that you mention using its status as the site of the world's busiest airport at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport as the main lure to attract the increased amount of industry.

...Which is something that must be noted... That Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (the busiest airport on the planet) is the ultimate equalizer of sorts for the historically-overlooked Southside to better compete against the type of Northside domination that has long been a feature of life during Atlanta's existence as one of the nation's largest and most important major metropolitan areas.

Because of geographical factors (like citidata18 mentioned) like the Blue Ridge Mountains and lakes Lanier and Allatoona on the Northside, the Southside likely will not ever be able to completely overcome the developmental imbalance that it has with the Northside, but the Airport undoubtedly helps the Southside to be much more wholly viable from an economic development standpoint than it might otherwise be without the presence of the Airport there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta