Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 12:52 PM

53 posts, read 87,368 times

Advertisements

I have a child who currently attends Jackson (APS) for pre-k, and was recently diagnosed with high functioning autism. My child doesn't exhibit many of the characteristics typical of autism, but does have some mild social issues and also processing/learning issues. We have already secured an IEP for this year and next, but we currently live in Smith and NOT Jackson (and have been told by the special ed team at Jackson that Smith might have a different approach to the IEP recommendations for next year - and we REALLY like what Jackson has proposed to do for kindergarten).

We have also been told we would have to move to stay at Jackson (essentially across the street from where we live now). However, we frequently hear of families having their children moved around by APS (sometimes every year), so we don't want to move if we are going to be told we have to send our child to another school (or, more importantly, to discover we could have somehow stayed at Jackson without moving).

We also are considering private options. We have an older child at Westminster, and while we absolutely know that isn't feasible for our younger one, we are still wanting to explore private options. We are currently looking at Woodward (for the transition program, which I know starts later). What other private options cater to autism? Do any other mainstream privates consider mild/high functioning kids on the spectrum?

Just trying to get a handle on options before I put my house on the market...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 01:27 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
I would call the Atlanta Speech School. Your child may be a candidate for its Stepping Stones program or its Wardlaw School, and if not, the experts in the admissions office there will be able to recommend some other places.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:41 PM

Thanks AtlJan. We were actually at Speech School (in Stepping Stones) last year. It was a fantastic program, but as soon as the HFA diagnosis came through they determined that their program was not the right place for us as they cannot support autism-related issues.

At that time, they suggested several very specialized autism programs (Marcus, for example), but our developmental pediatrician disagreed, and said that our child needs to be in a mainstream environment (with some support). With that said, Speech was VERY positive about Woodward (and that is a reason we are exploring it). Just trying to see if any other mainstream schools will work with such a diagnosis, or any of the schools that help with processing issues will consider autism (most state upfront they do not).

Old 10-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Have you looked into The Piedmont School at Oglethorpe University? That would be my next idea. . .and if Piedmont is not a fit, then it would be on to 100% mainstream private elementary schools that might have some flexibility. . .

http://www.thepiedmontschoolofatlant...ion-and-vision

Old 10-12-2018, 11:07 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgrayland View Post
Thanks AtlJan. We were actually at Speech School (in Stepping Stones) last year. It was a fantastic program, but as soon as the HFA diagnosis came through they determined that their program was not the right place for us as they cannot support autism-related issues.

At that time, they suggested several very specialized autism programs (Marcus, for example), but our developmental pediatrician disagreed, and said that our child needs to be in a mainstream environment (with some support). With that said, Speech was VERY positive about Woodward (and that is a reason we are exploring it). Just trying to see if any other mainstream schools will work with such a diagnosis, or any of the schools that help with processing issues will consider autism (most state upfront they do not).
Call Marcus. They can suggest places. I don't know how much Woodward works with autism, but they do have the transition program which makes them more friendly with IEP students than many of the other traditional privates. There are a LOT of special needs private schools that will work with autistic kids. Here's one list: Atlanta Special Needs Schools - Atlanta Top/Best Schools

APS may be more flexible than you are hearing. I knew of an autistic student who went to one of the North Atlanta schools and got transferred to another that better met her needs (I think she got transferred TO Jackson). You may want to consider getting an advocate or consultant if you are staying public to help you navigate.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:28 PM

33 posts, read 37,794 times
Maybe the teachers that are currently working with your child could provide some good recommendations. Having a special needs child myself, his teachers were my best source of support and information as we planned our move.

In my experience, private schools lack the programs necessary to service special needs children unless its something they specialize in.

Good Luck!

Old 10-15-2018, 06:23 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgrayland View Post
I have a child who currently attends Jackson (APS) for pre-k, and was recently diagnosed with high functioning autism. My child doesn't exhibit many of the characteristics typical of autism, but does have some mild social issues and also processing/learning issues. We have already secured an IEP for this year and next, but we currently live in Smith and NOT Jackson (and have been told by the special ed team at Jackson that Smith might have a different approach to the IEP recommendations for next year - and we REALLY like what Jackson has proposed to do for kindergarten).

We have also been told we would have to move to stay at Jackson (essentially across the street from where we live now). However, we frequently hear of families having their children moved around by APS (sometimes every year), so we don't want to move if we are going to be told we have to send our child to another school (or, more importantly, to discover we could have somehow stayed at Jackson without moving).

We also are considering private options. We have an older child at Westminster, and while we absolutely know that isn't feasible for our younger one, we are still wanting to explore private options. We are currently looking at Woodward (for the transition program, which I know starts later). What other private options cater to autism? Do any other mainstream privates consider mild/high functioning kids on the spectrum?

Just trying to get a handle on options before I put my house on the market...
I'm pretty sure there isn't a major redistricting in the books right now, and especially for the North Atlanta cluster, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about APS moving the kids around. I guess you never know, but it hasn't been talked about recently. Basically, you can kind of figure out if there will be any major changes in the cluster by finding out if the schools are over- or under-enrolled, and I don't believe that is the case for any of the elementary schools you're talking about. The North Atlanta cluster, I believe, has one of the best programs in the city for autism and other disabilities. I would recommend calling the administration at Smith and finding out what their approach is - the elementary schools do all work together, so even if it is a different approach, it is likely still an acceptable approach. APS is currently working hard to have team efforts spread across schools in any given cluster, so I do think if you call admin at Smith and get more information, you might find that their approach also jives well with your needs.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:11 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
I would agree with the poster above who stated that, unless the private school is specifically geared to ASD and related issues, that might not be the best spot and certainly not for direct treatment of the child's symptoms/related issues. They will tolerate it if the child is bright and capable, but not remediate the autism itself. Private schools will often accept children with ASD, ADHD, and learning differences, but only of mild severity and only if the child is able to function within a normal classroom with perhaps some help (e.g., if there's an established Learning Team at the school). You would likely be better served with an IEP at a public school with an established program to address ASD directly.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I would agree with the poster above who stated that, unless the private school is specifically geared to ASD and related issues, that might not be the best spot and certainly not for direct treatment of the child's symptoms/related issues. They will tolerate it if the child is bright and capable, but not remediate the autism itself. Private schools will often accept children with ASD, ADHD, and learning differences, but only of mild severity and only if the child is able to function within a normal classroom with perhaps some help (e.g., if there's an established Learning Team at the school). You would likely be better served with an IEP at a public school with an established program to address ASD directly.
I agree--I hope she will look at the Piedmont School, though, as it is a specifically for high-achieving children with autism.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I am definitely going to look at Piedmont School. I also spoke with the special education teacher who is working with my child and have asked for specific feedback by spring break so we can make some decisions about public school options if that is the route we decide to go.

I know some of the responses talked about re-districting. I was actually under the impression that when kids have special needs or use IEPs, schools can transfer them to another facility within the district if they believe another classroom or school environment would better suit the student's needs. That would be fine (I absolutely want to do what is best for my child), but I wouldn't want to go to the expense of moving into a specific school district only to find out the school was going to try to outplace my child to another location based on his specific needs and/or learning style. I am going to talk to the school to see what they know about that - and whether it has happened to any of their other students in the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: