Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,272,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Not sure, someone on another message board said that he'll be deported and the US Government would seize all of his assets. It sounded off but I wanted to get another opinion before I respond.
That’s a BS opinion. Assuming he paid taxes on his income there’s no grounds to seize his assets. If he was deported he could just sell everything and bank it in the UK or elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,565,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I wasn't trying to compare him to UK entertainers. I was just saying with so many British entertainers out there who are black, it's a wonder how people could be so surprised at the fact that he could be British. As for accents...accents change. Some people come at 12 and still have a strong accent and some pick up the accent of where they live. I don't understand why people have trouble grasping all this.

Some people do what they see. I would say most people and he is no different. He saw a bunch of people talking this way and acting that way and said...let me follow this. I am sick and tired of mostly rappers/singers thinking it's okay to prostitute black women in their videos,

spit out hate towards LGBT people, brag about this crime they did and whatever and then all of a sudden...oh I'm so sorry I shouldn't have said this and done that. All is not forgiven...the ramifications of people's actions have such a huge impact (negative) on people's lives and there needs to be more accountability.

Why would you first assume a Caribbean country?
You aren't familiar with 21 Savage if you have to ask why people are shocked. His entire aura is Dirty South. I've heard some UK hip-hop artist before and 21 Savage doesn't have any UK influence in his beats or flow. He also never spoke on it. He speaks about his upbringing a lot but just omitted the UK portion. Everyone knows that there are "black" people in the UK. People were just unaware, a ton of people thought he was born and raised in Atlanta.

If someone was playing Family Feud and the category was "Possible Places 21 Savage is From," I doubt the UK would have been one of your choices. That and I remember him claiming a Haitian lineage before.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:03 AM

66 posts, read 35,904 times
Quote:
https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/21-s...in-uk-ice.html

According to the story, he came over when he was 7 and immigration knew about his status.
SMH, this story just keeps getting more ridiculous. So the guy has lived here since he was 7. This makes the ICE spokesman's line about 21's "whole act" being a "lie" just look absolutely absurd now. This kid was raised in Atlanta practically his entire life. The reason he looks and sounds and acts like someone from Atlanta is because HE IS. Now the federal government has him locked in a cell 23 hours a day when he hasn't been charged with any crime. It is so painfully obvious that the Trump administration is trying to make an example of a successful black man who spoke out against their shameful immigration policy.

If you can't see it, it's because you just don't want to.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwelling View Post
SMH, this story just keeps getting more ridiculous. So the guy has lived here since he was 7. This makes the ICE spokesman's line about 21's "whole act" being a "lie" just look absolutely absurd now. This kid was raised in Atlanta practically his entire life. The reason he looks and sounds and acts like someone from Atlanta is because HE IS. Now the federal government has him locked in a cell 23 hours a day when he hasn't been charged with any crime. It is so painfully obvious that the Trump administration is trying to make an example of a successful black man who spoke out against their shameful immigration policy.

What I’d like to know is when he made that brief trip abroad, and what document was used to exit and re-enter the US.

If he did it as an adult, it’s on him. If he did it as a teenager, he would have known it wasn’t a US Passport.

I agree he shouldn’t be targeted. At the same time he does not have legal status in this country. This IS a problem.

And immigration law is unlike non-immigration law. If you want to find out, try and drive across the Mexican or Canadian border and mouth off to them. They can refuse you entry, or even search or disassemble your vehicle if they suspect illegal substances and not have to put things back together again. Regular laws do not apply at a port of entry.

This is why I’ve said earlier in this thread, and will say it again - if you aren’t a citizen, you need to keep your affairs clean and beyond reproach. Everyone posting so far was born a citizen and doesn’t know this (nor needs to know). Naturalization is a privilege, not a right.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:09 AM

815 posts, read 710,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I never said bribery. But obviously it needs motivation for a judge and prosecutor to go through this process.

The difference between convicted felons who get it vs those who don't is usually privilege in some way or another. Unless he has powerful friends, it's usually by way of money.
OK I will spell it out for you. The difference is that people who get expungements have other things going on that make them more sympathetic--i.e. the charges were unfair, the defendant has really turned his life around, etc.

If you're still insisting on pushing the bribery angle, I'd suggest that you recall what happened to Tex McIver when he tried to pull that mess with Paul Howard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The "he was just a child" excuse dies when that person turns 18 and does nothing to fix their citizenship status.
He did do something to try to fix his citizenship status. That is why he is sitting in jail now. ICE only knew about it when he filed the application to renew his visa

What message does this send to other young adults in the same situation who don't have the money or attorneys that 21 Savage has.

Also, citizenship is not something you have to think about every day. Why would someone on turning 18 just randomly start to wonder about whether they have a green card or not?? Didn't someone post above that many kids only find out they are not citizens until they go to apply for financial aid??

Quote:
You aren't familiar with 21 Savage if you have to ask why people are shocked. His entire aura is Dirty South. I've heard some UK hip-hop artist before and 21 Savage doesn't have any UK influence in his beats or flow. He also never spoke on it. He speaks about his upbringing a lot but just omitted the UK portion. Everyone knows that there are "black" people in the UK. People were just unaware, a ton of people thought he was born and raised in Atlanta.

If someone was playing Family Feud and the category was "Possible Places 21 Savage is From," I doubt the UK would have been one of your choices. That and I remember him claiming a Haitian lineage before.
I agree. There are plenty of black people who live in the U.K. What's shocking is that 21 savage appeared to be homegrown. Actually if he came here at 7, he *is* homegrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwelling View Post

Yup. ITA

markjames:
Quote:
This is why I’ve said earlier in this thread, and will say it again - if you aren’t a citizen, you need to keep your affairs clean and beyond reproach. Everyone posting so far was born a citizen and doesn’t know this (nor needs to know). Naturalization is a privilege, not a right.
Yes citizens do need to know about this and need to be concerned about it. What our government does in our name is very much our business. If they're doing this kind of crap to non-citizens and we just turn a blind eye to it, they'll do this type of stuff to people who are vulnerable--Af-Ams, the poor, the LGBTQ community.

The enforcement of our immigration laws seems to be the most ratchet things I've ever seen. We expect this kind of thing in dictatorships and third world country. But for the oldest democracy in the world, this is quite shameful.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
OK I will spell it out for you. The difference is that people who get expungements have other things going on that make them more sympathetic--i.e. the charges were unfair, the defendant has really turned his life around, etc.

If you're still insisting on pushing the bribery angle, I'd suggest that you recall what happened to Tex McIver when he tried to pull that mess with Paul Howard.
There is a real but subtle difference between bribery and influence. I never claimed the former. I won’t bother explaining further.

Quote:
He did do something to try to fix his citizenship status. That is why he is sitting in jail now. ICE only knew about it when he filed the application to renew his visa
First, there is no visa “renewal” unless you’re privy to some information that hasn’t been publicly released. His visitor visa expired over a decade ago. You can’t “renew” visitor visas while in the US.

Second, his lawyer applied for a U visa in 2017. They should have also advised him the possibility that it would not be successful and to plan accordingly.

Quote:

What message does this send to other young adults in the same situation who don't have the money or attorneys that 21 Savage has.
That until there is legislative relief, the law of the land states that unlawful entrants are not here legally. DACA is not the law, it’s an executive action that a judge has let stand.

Read up on what happened to Charlie Chaplin. And he had a green card. Unless and until you are a citizen you are potentially subject to removal. FYI - this is the same in ANY country.

Quote:

Also, citizenship is not something you have to think about every day. Why would someone on turning 18 just randomly start to wonder about whether they have a green card or not?? Didn't someone post above that many kids only find out they are not citizens until they go to apply for financial aid??
Again, you have native born privilege. And parents who don’t advise their children accordingly are poor parents who don’t assume responsibility for their children. Full stop.

Quote:
The enforcement of our immigration laws seems to be the most ratchet things I've ever seen. We expect this kind of thing in dictatorships and third world country. But for the oldest democracy in the world, this is quite shameful.
The problem with our country is that we don’t enforce the laws consistently.

Try and emigrate to Australia or Canada through illegal entry or visa overstay. You will see what happens - denial of services and pretty prompt removal.

The Reagan amnesty in the 1980’s was supposed to fix this. We need to fix it now, once and for all.

1) tighten the borders

2) e-Verify for all workers

3) no state aid for illegals. If they choose to do so they lose federal highway funds

4) allow those already here with no criminal record to stay, but there are extra hoops. First, they need to get a proper visa and become “documented”. They need to pay a sizable fine. To convert that visa to permanent residency they need to provide service to the country (military or civil public service). And then they need to wait 10 years before becoming a citizen instead of 5.

5) deport the rest

No more touchy feely. The reason why many European countries can provide such generous benefits is that for many years they strictly controlled immigration. You had to learn THEIR language and THEIR culture. Children to illegals are not automatically citizens like in the US - no European countries recognize jus soli unless at least one parent has legal permission to reside there.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:50 AM

1,005 posts, read 731,315 times
Quote:
His father's a doctor in the UK . I don't care about the trapping stuff, he should have just been honest instead of trying to be some goon.
An estranged father. But I see your feelings of being duped trump the fantasy entertainers have put forth since forever.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:01 AM

815 posts, read 710,262 times
Quote:
There is a real but subtle difference between bribery and influence. I never claimed the former. I won’t bother explaining further.
Thank you. Because the bribery/influence whatever you want to call it argument just doesn't hold water on many levels.

Quote:
First, there is no visa “renewal” unless you’re privy to some information that hasn’t been publicly released. His visitor visa expired over a decade ago. You can’t “renew” visitor visas while in the US.

Second, his lawyer applied for a U visa in 2017. They should have also advised him the possibility that it would not be successful and to plan accordingly.
I don't have the knowledge about immigration law like you do. However, it's being reported that his application has been pending for 4 years. His attorney seems to be well-respected and specializes in this area. 21 Savages has several siblings who were able to gain permanent resident status. All of this makes me believe his attorney that this should have been a routine matter.

Quote:
That until there is legislative relief, the law of the land states that unlawful entrants are not here legally. DACA is not the law, it’s an executive action that a judge has let stand.

Read up on what happened to Charlie Chaplin. And he had a green card. Unless and until you are a citizen you are potentially subject to removal. FYI - this is the same in ANY country.
I am not certain DACA would even apply to 21 savage. Dreamers are usually defined as children who were brought to this country illegally. There is no question in this case that he was brought here legally, so he's not really a Dreamer.

Quote:
Again, you have native born privilege. And parents who don’t advise their children accordingly are poor parents who don’t assume responsibility for their children. Full stop.
Yes I have privilege as a citizen, but the only thing you have in common with 21 Savage and Dreamers is that you were born in a different country. That is where the similarities end. You were a grown man when you made the decision to come here. 21 Savage was a kid and had no choice in the matter. Check yourself, your own privilege is showing.

Quote:
The problem with our country is that we don’t enforce the laws consistently.

Try and emigrate to Australia or Canada through illegal entry or visa overstay. You will see what happens - denial of services and pretty prompt removal.

The Reagan amnesty in the 1980’s was supposed to fix this. We need to fix it now, once and for all.

1) tighten the borders

2) e-Verify for all workers

3) no state aid for illegals. If they choose to do so they lose federal highway funds

4) allow those already here with no criminal record to stay, but there are extra hoops. First, they need to get a proper visa and become “documented”. They need to pay a sizable fine. To convert that visa to permanent residency they need to provide service to the country (military or civil public service). And then they need to wait 10 years before becoming a citizen instead of 5.

5) deport the rest
Exactly. And that is the problem with our immigration laws. Certain groups of people are being picked on at the whim of tyrannical people operating under the color of law. The 21 savages get deported. The Melania Trumps just carry on business as usual.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
I don't have the knowledge about immigration law like you do. However, it's being reported that his application has been pending for 4 years. His attorney seems to be well-respected and specializes in this area. 21 Savages has several siblings who were able to gain permanent resident status. All of this makes me believe his attorney that this should have been a routine matter.
This is the thing I’m wondering about as well. A U visa is a really odd vehicle to pursue, and only around 100 or so are typically granted a year.

Why was it not routine?

His siblings are black, so it’s not a color thing.

Is it because he’s not deemed to be of good moral character? The gang affiliation, the arrest and conviction, and possibly other activities?

BTW, I did more research on expungements and agree that for his case to be expunged there must have been something there.

What I did also learn is that expungement just “hides” the whole mess, it doesn’t eliminate it for immigration purposes, future conviction purposes or incarceration purposes. In those cases it becomes “visible” again.

It’s also a reason why his attorney says that a felony conviction is untrue - an expunged conviction allows the person to legally state they were never arrested nor convicted of the crime.

Quote:

Yes I have privilege as a citizen, but the only thing you have in common with 21 Savage and Dreamers is that you were born in a different country. That is where the similarities end. You were a grown man when you made the decision to come here. 21 Savage was a kid and had no choice in the matter. Check yourself, your own privilege is showing.
Fair enough. But I had to do a lot just to get here. At any point had the answer been “no” my recourse would have been not to enter. Not to illegally enter and start working. Or to enter under a visitor visa and overstay.

Also, to expedite a green card after 9/11 I chose to go the consular route rather than as a change of status. Meaning I left the country, went back to my native country and applied there at a consulate. Had something come up I could have been denied entry and couldn’t have come back. Another reason to live a “clean” life.

Quote:
Exactly. And that is the problem with our immigration laws. Certain groups of people are being picked on at the whim of tyrannical people operating under the color of law. The 21 savages get deported. The Melania Trumps just carry on business as usual.
I don’t deny that’s possible. But again, if 21 Savage’s siblings all have permanent residency what’s different in his case?

Could it be he’s not judged by the color of his skin but by the content of his character?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:01 AM

FYI, for anyone interested, this is a good video to watch to get a sense of him. It dates from 2016 so before all the hoopla (i.e. not just a PR stunt that some people put on when they are in trouble)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJkFaFi2fFk

I came away with the following impressions:

1) lack of good role models and grew up in a tough, violent environment

2) owns up to what he did, but is trying to do better now

3) realizes his lyrics are inflammatory but that’s what sells

I can totally see why his attorney is going for a U visa, and why this attorney is involved. At face value this kid appears to be nothing but a street gangster that should be deported.

On the other hand, he’s become successful despite his environment, upbringing and lack of good parenting (I’m sorry, but what kind of a mother lets their child sell drugs at 12 or 13?)

If it was up to me I would let him stay on a valid visa, ensure he understands the tightrope he walks and encourage him to channel his energies in a positive way. And in a number of years, assuming he doesn’t do anything stupid, grant him permanent residency.

He and I couldn’t be more different. But I see why he has his supporters. Good luck to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta