Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 05:56 PM

497 posts, read 292,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsmiths View Post
Has construction started?
They've technically opened their first building Centennial Yards South and have started on a second with 2 or so more planned to start this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 12:35 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,849,531 times
Plans materialize for Centennial Yards' first new office building downtown - Urbanize Atlanta

Old 07-07-2022, 11:47 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,380,112 times
Centennial Yards megaproject vows to be mostly complete for World Cup

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/c...lete-world-cup

Urbanize Atlanta

Old 07-07-2022, 01:22 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
That's a tall order. I hope Amtrak can get in contact with CIM and at the very least, tell them what areas they are going to need below the street level for a new station. Seeing all that down there just become a ton of parking deck podiums sure would be a waste.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:36 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
That's a tall order. I hope Amtrak can get in contact with CIM and at the very least, tell them what areas they are going to need below the street level for a new station. Seeing all that down there just become a ton of parking deck podiums sure would be a waste.
Just came across this article:

https://www.thecentersquare.com/geor...ef29c1ec0.html

Old 07-13-2022, 03:24 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,126 times
Hi C-Ders... I've been away from C-D for a long time now, but there are some things happening that have brought be back.

Forgive me for being a skeptic on this one, but I'll believe it when I see it.
I remember reading the AJC in the early 90s about things happening in Atlanta and seeing a story about a development that "might" happening in the Gulch in time for the 96 Olympics. Then again, I remember back in 2013 (well before the Benz) reading about this Multi-Modal Passenger Terminal to be built there, and yet it's still just a big ol empty lot.

Countless conventions, NCAA Tournaments, 3 Super Bowls and the Olympics couldn't drive enough belief in developing that area, and now I'm supposed to be this time it'll be different because a World Cup match is coming? Somebody just wake me when somebody finally stops talking and actually does something around there...

Now, I will say, I no longer live in Atlanta (my beloved home I miss daily), so if cranes are going up there I wouldn't know unless someone told me. But judging from the articles I've been reading about this development, so far the news doesn't impress me because the reporting still uses the same "might" and "could" words that I've heard about countless past projects for developments in Atlanta that rarely seem to materialize.
I'm leaning more on the side of skeptically viewing it on the same level as the wonderful project thought up in 1999 for a light rail that was supposed to circle the city... The GA Tech student that created that vision named it the Beltline... In 1999... And here we are in 2022 and all we have so far is an incomplete bike trail... Atlanta politics bastardized his wonderful plan and cut out the best parts... I really do hope that Centennial Yards really happens and develops into a great area... But do I trust that the corrupt politicians in the city won't get in the way causing the project to stall so much that money runs out and it turns into a shell of the vision? Not at all...

Old 07-14-2022, 11:43 AM

1,375 posts, read 927,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Hi C-Ders... I've been away from C-D for a long time now, but there are some things happening that have brought be back.

I remember reading the AJC in the early 90s about things happening in Atlanta and seeing a story about a development that "might" happening in the Gulch in time for the 96 Olympics. Then again, I remember back in 2013 (well before the Benz) reading about this Multi-Modal Passenger Terminal to be built there, and yet it's still just a big ol empty lot.

Countless conventions, NCAA Tournaments, 3 Super Bowls and the Olympics couldn't drive enough belief in developing that area, and now I'm supposed to be this time it'll be different because a World Cup match is coming? Somebody just wake me when somebody finally stops talking and actually does something around there...

Now, I will say, I no longer live in Atlanta (my beloved home I miss daily), so if cranes are going up there I wouldn't know unless someone told me. But judging from the articles I've been reading about this development, so far the news doesn't impress me because the reporting still uses the same "might" and "could" words that I've heard about countless past projects for developments in Atlanta that rarely seem to materialize.
I'm leaning more on the side of skeptically viewing it on the same level as the wonderful project thought up in 1999 for a light rail that was supposed to circle the city... The GA Tech student that created that vision named it the Beltline... In 1999... And here we are in 2022 and all we have so far is an incomplete bike trail... Atlanta politics bastardized his wonderful plan and cut out the best parts... I really do hope that Centennial Yards really happens and develops into a great area... But do I trust that the corrupt politicians in the city won't get in the way causing the project to stall so much that money runs out and it turns into a shell of the vision? Not at all...
It's going to be built, they're getting 2 BILLION in tax breaks. They already have permits for the first offices and apartments. CIM Group isn't Dewberry, they have thousands of buildings across the US.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:05 PM

711 posts, read 682,882 times
Quote:

The difference now is that all the disparate parcels of land that had been owned by Norfolk Southern and other owners have been consolidated and is owned by one developer that has complete control on what gets built. There's already momentum with CIM completing the conversion of an old office building into apartments with more on the way.

Old 07-15-2022, 02:48 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:

Several things since up brought up several things

the beltline " The GA Tech student that created that vision named it the Beltline... In 1999... And here we are in 2022 and all we have so far is an incomplete bike trail..." this is false........ the built vison also include, expanded parks and a lot of urban redevelopment....... Basically have you seen the area arounds Historic 4th ward Park?

maybe you don't understand what Beltline is exactly, Along The Beltline corridor there are sub sections. Areas plans for parks and Some area recommend for urban growth. The city has changed the zoning around there area to allow these type of development.

The beltline is doing all this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfYYFsFOxCR/

Rendering

https://www.newcity-properties.com/w...l-1280x836.jpg
Progress, they're actually a little further, they're working on the third building

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdbMeBVOxUO/

Even areas like People town along beltline is start to infill a little.
https://twitter.com/NewSouthConst/st...96622221152257

Atlanta just open a massive new Park on the westside, and get me started what happening over there.

So the Beltline is the worst example you could possibly brought up for your argument.
-------------------------------

Anyway you mixing things................ you mixing ideas and plans. The Multi-Modal Passenger Terminal was idea there never a actual plan for it. Centennial Yards This is something that has large real real estate company plan out and is building as well getting a tax credit for.

In actuality this project runs the lines similar to Atlantic Station, Avalon etc. What make this different is a little bigger and it's Downtown, I so I don't understand the pessimism it's not like Atlanta hasn't done large projects before.

Old 07-15-2022, 04:42 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Several things since up brought up several things

the beltline " The GA Tech student that created that vision named it the Beltline... In 1999... And here we are in 2022 and all we have so far is an incomplete bike trail..." this is false........ the built vison also include, expanded parks and a lot of urban redevelopment....... Basically have you seen the area arounds Historic 4th ward Park?

maybe you don't understand what Beltline is exactly, Along The Beltline corridor there are sub sections. Areas plans for parks and Some area recommend for urban growth. The city has changed the zoning around there area to allow these type of development.

The beltline is doing all this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfYYFsFOxCR/

Rendering

https://www.newcity-properties.com/w...l-1280x836.jpg
Progress, they're actually a little further, they're working on the third building

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdbMeBVOxUO/

Even areas like People town along beltline is start to infill a little.
https://twitter.com/NewSouthConst/st...96622221152257

Atlanta just open a massive new Park on the westside, and get me started what happening over there.

So the Beltline is the worst example you could possibly brought up for your argument.
-------------------------------

Anyway you mixing things................ you mixing ideas and plans. The Multi-Modal Passenger Terminal was idea there never a actual plan for it. Centennial Yards This is something that has large real real estate company plan out and is building as well getting a tax credit for.

In actuality this project runs the lines similar to Atlantic Station, Avalon etc. What make this different is a little bigger and it's Downtown, I so I don't understand the pessimism it's not like Atlanta hasn't done large projects before.
The pessimism is because Atlanta/Georgia has been anti-rail because they don't want to become like Japan. They will avoid any expansion of rail lines and stations if they could, while still taking away parking lots even with more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta