Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 11:10 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Sorry, let me clarify, not corporations in general but industries that have the most to lose by people working from home and not traveling: oil and gas, travel and hospitality, construction-road and commercial real estate auto industry and well as the insurance industry and ambulance chasers. (Others of course but these are the few that I just could ramble off) All of these industries pay big bucks to get their concerns taken up by lawmakers. For example, for the moment it seems auto insurers are happy with collecting premiums and not having to pay out as much in claims but long-term they won't be able to hike premiums as much because there will be less accidents. With safer drivers or few drivers, accidents would go down and insurance costs would plummet, more so than the savings offset by paying out fewer claims and more people will lower their coverage or drop it all together. In a regulated field like insurance a case couldn't be made to raise rates enough to offset the lost long-term revenue.
Thanks, ATLHRLGUY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
You're telling the truth. They have been a huge impediment in those areas. The auto industry once upon a time fought against seat-belts and airbags and a whole host of now standard safety features all in the name of saving a buck. I was reading an npr article outlining their stance again seat-belts and ironically enough they thought it would be a safety hazard. They claimed during an accident seat-belts would cause internal damage and make it harder to get out of the car. The science during the 40's and 50's clearly disproved those theories but yet and still there was a push against seat-belts. So I guess they would rather people go flying through the window and surely die or breaking their neck on the steering wheel that way it would be easier to retrieve the bodies
When seat belts came in some people hated them so much they literally cut them out of their cars. "No way the government is going to force me to do something that stupid -- this is America!!"

Old 05-27-2020, 01:12 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Thanks, ATLHRLGUY.

Quote:
When seat belts came in some people hated them so much they literally cut them out of their cars. "No way the government is going to force me to do something that stupid -- this is America!!"

Wow!...I'm glad the sentiment over the years has changed.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:46 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,916 times
https://www.ajc.com/business/employm...fb6OF5IF6qCKK/

"Thousands of Georgians heading back to offices Monday, but many aren’t"

Old 06-01-2020, 06:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post

I have a feeling the riots will slow things down a bit, at least for Midtown and Buckhead businesses.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:31 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post

There was definitely a lot of people on the road coming down I-85 from Hamilton Mill Rd and beyond but I didn't notice any traffic delays on Google Maps. My company still isn't close to returning to the office.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:07 AM

Here's a good article about how offices may try to compete with teleworking. They're going to have to scramble.

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news...te-work-104588

Old 06-02-2020, 03:20 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
I saw on reddit today, the guy who led the anti-seat belt backlash was killed when he was ejected from his car during a roll over accident.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:50 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I have a feeling the riots will slow things down a bit, at least for Midtown and Buckhead businesses.
I believe they did. This Monday and Tuesday was actually the lightest Monday and Tuesday AM traffic I’ve seen since April. I think a few companies which had gone back told employees to work from home again this week

Old 06-02-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I saw on reddit today, the guy who led the anti-seat belt backlash was killed when he was ejected from his car during a roll over accident.
At least he was exercising his freedoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta