Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:25 PM

7,374 posts, read 6,578,449 times

Advertisements

My company lets everyone after their probation period take one day, and everyone after a certain level take two days. Manager discretion also allows extra days if needed. But I can't do more than two workdays in a row remote, I need to be with people, and I think a number of people are like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 10:33 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,329,704 times
I do it most days. I am much, much happier now. It had allowed me to, on those days, wake up ~20minutes before work starts instead of over an hour. When I'm done at 5pm, I turn off the computer and I'm already home instead of wasting another 30+ minutes commuting home. It allows me to have the comfort of home during downtime, saves me from packing/buying lunch out everyday, etc. I control my own thermostat (I like it cold), don't have to wear shoes all day. I've had slow periods where instead of staring at a computer screen or trying to "look busy" I go take a nap or watch tv. Yet my productivity has massively increased because I am happier!!

Everyone should be able to do this where feasible. The problem? Old style managers who think if you don't have your butt in an office chair you aren't working hard enough. These tend to be the same type of people that discourage employees from using vacation days or taking lunch breaks. The sooner we get those people out of management the better. Work shouldn't be a top priority in life.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:48 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,400,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I do it most days. I am much, much happier now. It had allowed me to, on those days, wake up ~20minutes before work starts instead of over an hour. When I'm done at 5pm, I turn off the computer and I'm already home instead of wasting another 30+ minutes commuting home. It allows me to have the comfort of home during downtime, saves me from packing/buying lunch out everyday, etc. I control my own thermostat (I like it cold), don't have to wear shoes all day. I've had slow periods where instead of staring at a computer screen or trying to "look busy" I go take a nap or watch tv. Yet my productivity has massively increased because I am happier!!

Everyone should be able to do this where feasible. The problem? Old style managers who think if you don't have your butt in an office chair you aren't working hard enough. These tend to be the same type of people that discourage employees from using vacation days or taking lunch breaks. The sooner we get those people out of management the better. Work shouldn't be a top priority in life.

This...

Old 06-08-2019, 12:42 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,392,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post

I am MUCH more productive at home. But, I don't have a job any more that is feasible to do from home. But, back in the day, I wasn't even on a work-day schedule. I had projects that had to be completed at some time over the course of a few weeks. So, I could wake up whenever I wanted, work as long as I wanted, do whatever I wanted, and show the results later. Never even had to get dressed in the morning if I didn't want to.

Yeah...if I were to ever go back to normal work, I'd make sure that working from home was not only possible, but encouraged.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:50 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,422,431 times
The one thing I miss about my last job oh so much.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:56 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,483,518 times
The technology factor will literally kill, most of, the traditional cubicle mentality; as I mentioned on a previous thread, corporate physical headquarters buildings will continue to become irrelevant; as technology and metric focus and docket based software continues to expand and take away paper. In the legal field many paralegals and lawyers have the choice to work and file pleading electronically from home. I just heard of one lawyer who move to Charleston, but practices in DC. Technology is disrupting every industry. I highly encouraged older workers to go get some technical training, since everything is going technical. The Federal Court Electronic Pacer system started in the year 2000, and allows users to file federal pleading 24/7.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:04 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,764,238 times
I used to be soooo pro WFH. Everyone does it on Fridays in my offfice, and I enjoy it. But I do think you can have too much of a good thing.

As much as I like my WFH day, it does also have its downsides:
I'm harder on myself in that I'm self conscious of the breaks I take at home
My wife and I sometimes don't jive. She stays at home with our 2 year old, and it's confusing. At times I think there can be a bitterness....I'm taking a 15 minute break or heading out to the gym over lunch while she's stuck changing diapers....if I were at the office, those downtimes are blind to her. Also, sometimes I can help with those things if my schedule is light, and other times I can't.

I do also crave that human interaction a bit. And when I can be in my jammies all day......I stay in my jammies all day. When I go into the office, I get ready, look nice, etc. And there is a clear end of the work day.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:00 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,400,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
My company lets everyone after their probation period take one day, and everyone after a certain level take two days. Manager discretion also allows extra days if needed. But I can't do more than two workdays in a row remote, I need to be with people, and I think a number of people are like that.

I'm like this too but due to my experiences, I'd rather not be around co-workers in person.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:45 PM

132 posts, read 145,618 times
I work at one of the large, very old-school corporations that need to see you in the office every day, or they don’t believe you are working. Hours of pointless meetings discussing the same workflows that take months and ten levels of approval to actually get accomplished. Everything that is done can be done with a cell phone and laptop from anywhere.

I used to work in sales in a different industry, and my boss lived two states away. I managed to leave the house every day and be a top producer.

It’s amazing how much of the office-based workplace is demotivating and infantilizing. I’m in my 40’s, and I am made to feel like an intern they don’t trust. The worst part is that it doesn’t matter how many days I sit at my cube for 9-10 hours and take lunch at my desk, there’s always this underlying feeling of guilt or not making a good impression if I have to leave by 4 to take a child to the doctor. I have no idea how so many people live their entire careers like this.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,384,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetwise5 View Post
I work at one of the large, very old-school corporations that need to see you in the office every day, or they don’t believe you are working. Hours of pointless meetings discussing the same workflows that take months and ten levels of approval to actually get accomplished. Everything that is done can be done with a cell phone and laptop from anywhere.

I used to work in sales in a different industry, and my boss lived two states away. I managed to leave the house every day and be a top producer.

It’s amazing how much of the office-based workplace is demotivating and infantilizing. I’m in my 40’s, and I am made to feel like an intern they don’t trust. The worst part is that it doesn’t matter how many days I sit at my cube for 9-10 hours and take lunch at my desk, there’s always this underlying feeling of guilt or not making a good impression if I have to leave by 4 to take a child to the doctor. I have no idea how so many people live their entire careers like this.
My last place was like this. On email before 6am and until 10pm but heaven forbid if I wanted to work from home one day. And I was a senior executive at this company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta