Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:36 PM

11,972 posts, read 8,222,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Reading threads like this always reminds me of a discussion I had with a guy on another forum:

A: "I fired 2 employees for taking a meal break when I needed them to do something;"
B: "Did they have scheduled lunches or are they just supposed to fit it in somehow with working coming in? Just wondering."
A: "I didn't give meal breaks; they're not required by Del. law."
B: "Well...you realize that workers are human right?"
A: "US only: only 19 of the 50 states require meal breaks (and there are many exceptions found in those) .. federal law does not require a meal break at all (except certain federally regulated industries) .. the only federal regulation is that any breaks must be paid if the break lasts fewer than 20 minutes"
B: "Wow. I bet you're real fun to work for. How long do your employees have to work with no meal breaks?"
A: "They worked for as long as necessary; and i was running a business not a charity."

There are some truly terrible bosses out there. Ones who need to feel powerful by taking dumps on their employees.
Yeah, none of those employers would ever have my business for long at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,329,368 times
Quote:
Reading threads like this always reminds me of a discussion I had with a guy on another forum:

A: "I fired 2 employees for taking a meal break when I needed them to do something;"
B: "Did they have scheduled lunches or are they just supposed to fit it in somehow with working coming in? Just wondering."
A: "US only: only 19 of the 50 states require meal breaks (and there are many exceptions found in those) .. federal law does not require a meal break at all (except certain federally regulated industries) .. the only federal regulation is that any breaks must be paid if the break lasts fewer than 20 minutes"
B: "Wow. I bet you're real fun to work for. How long do your employees have to work with no meal breaks?"
A: "They worked for as long as necessary; and i was running a business not a charity."

There are some truly terrible bosses out there. Ones who need to feel powerful by taking dumps on their employees.
This is why America sucks when it comes to working. Greedy, horrible managers/owners and a complete lack of federal laws protecting workers. No mandated breaks, no mandated vacation. Even our unions are being systemically dismantled by the anti-worker, pro-corporation politicians in control.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:01 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,377,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
This is why America sucks when it comes to working. Greedy, horrible managers/owners and a complete lack of federal laws protecting workers. No mandated breaks, no mandated vacation. Even our unions are being systemically dismantled by the anti-worker, pro-corporation politicians in control.
Spain is usually touted as the best place to work - vacation, benefits, etc.

Sounds great.

Oh, but in 40 years the unemployment rate has never been lower than 8%, it was close to 25% around the recession and is around 15% now. For 1 in 7 who don’t have work they would probably take less vacation but have an income...

With such a low unemployment rate in the US if you’re a horrible boss you will have huge turnover. The market decides quickly.

Compare that with France and Italy where you can have the worst employees but either can’t get rid of them or you pay through the nose to sever their employment.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:07 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,398,311 times
Quote:

It's the name of the game though. It's just that it's gotten worse for a lot of people. I saw workers' rights and human rights mentioned. This country was built on slavery and people don't realize how much it's (the mentality) still ingrained in our society. And something interesting I want to add to this. People abroad know just how crappy worker rights are here. I was once employed by an Irish man and I'm not b.s.ing you when I say he tried to get me to sign to a salary that would have been less than minimum wage after you did the math. There is good in this world but there are a lot of wicked people out there and they are the ones who have the power (and a system that supports it).

Old 06-10-2019, 10:08 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,398,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Spain is usually touted as the best place to work - vacation, benefits, etc.

Sounds great.

Oh, but in 40 years the unemployment rate has never been lower than 8%, it was close to 25% around the recession and is around 15% now. For 1 in 7 who don’t have work they would probably take less vacation but have an income...

With such a low unemployment rate in the US if you’re a horrible boss you will have huge turnover. The market decides quickly.

Compare that with France and Italy where you can have the worst employees but either can’t get rid of them or you pay through the nose to sever their employment.

Yeah, but what about countries like Denmark, Norway, etc.? I hear Germany mentioned pretty often too. I worked for a...not fast food but casual place and I thought it was nice that they provided free lunch. I soon noticed why though. There was always too much work to do and we were pressured to come off our lunch early. The lunch break might have been paid but for someone not to get a proper break after working non-stop is inhumane. The work environment was so unsafe with workers almost working back to back (not enough room for the workers to move around) and I remember getting burned because of the close proximity of the equipment. It wasn't a bad burn but I could see how it could've been worse.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 PM

9,815 posts, read 8,016,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68;55391146/
You are far enough away that you rarely, if ever, meet with people face-to-face, which is ok if you know them, not so much if you've never met. There can be a lack of relationship building.
This is my situation, our office is in San Diego. My team is scattered from Philly to Chicago to Salt Lake City to Colorado Springs to various West Coast cities. We only get together out there once a year. But you're right, we all know and like each other, and it makes a huge difference.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 AM

104 posts, read 61,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The problem with a place like Cheyenne is that if you lose or leave your job you need to find another one, and the next company might not be as enlightened when it comes to remote work.
I have recruiters in my LinkedIn inbox offering me opportunities to interview for fully remote gigs constantly so not a huge issue. As long as Cheyenne has internet and an airport, I can get a new job pretty easily.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 AM

32,056 posts, read 36,988,335 times
Quote:
Have to agree.

However, I have never had a paid vacation and think I would feel guilty about that. How can you expect to get paid when you are not working?

Old 06-12-2019, 11:08 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,329,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Have to agree.

However, I have never had a paid vacation and think I would feel guilty about that. How can you expect to get paid when you are not working?
Because that's not how paid vacations work? Your "paid time off" is factored into your overall salary package and adjusted accordingly. In a way, you are paying for your time off every other day you work by having a slightly reduced salary. That's why I get so angry when people say they feel guilty using paid time off - YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT! You might as well say you feel guilty taking your whole paycheck and leave a bit for the employer.

As an example, I was once offered two salaries by an employer, one for 4 weeks vacation and one for 6 weeks. The 4 week was obviously a higher salary, because that's 2 extra weeks I will be working during the year. I took the 6 week option, but it demonstrates how they account for your away time with your salary package.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 PM

32,056 posts, read 36,988,335 times
Quote:
Because that's not how paid vacations work? Your "paid time off" is factored into your overall salary package and adjusted accordingly. In a way, you are paying for your time off every other day you work by having a slightly reduced salary. That's why I get so angry when people say they feel guilty using paid time off - YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT! You might as well say you feel guilty taking your whole paycheck and leave a bit for the employer.

As an example, I was once offered two salaries by an employer, one for 4 weeks vacation and one for 6 weeks. The 4 week was obviously a higher salary, because that's 2 extra weeks I will be working during the year. I took the 6 week option, but it demonstrates how they account for your away time with your salary package.
Okay, that makes sense.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta