Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 10:52 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennynbc View Post
New poster, but also recently moved to Atlanta from NY. We lived in small suburb/village about 35 min north of Manhattan NY. Beautiful homes, mostly older but many renovated and until very recently there weren’t many tear downs. Of course, location and good schools, etc made this very 1% and impractical - 1mm dollars didn’t buy much house.

At any rate, we are renting now in Morningside and while we like homes, landscape & school, I’m not comfortable w fast drivers on side streets, traffic. Maybe it’s just streets I live around (wildwood, Berkshire)? I want my kids to be able to ride bikes, know our neighbors etc. Kids are 8th, 5th & 2nd and 8th grader is already at Woodward which works Bc husband’s job near college park. Prob do private school next year for 5th grader, but ideally public for 2nd grader. However, we’re pretty open.

I admit most of my searching has been online and driving around, but I’m finding things to be either pretty sterile or a little too eclectic. Was hoping Decatur would be a fit, but I just don’t know. Our budget is 1-1.2mm. Although some options will make commute miserable, dh will commute from anywhere and be can work from home a lot. Any suggestions? Am I missing things or not considering certain aspects of some areas? sorry for such a long post.
With that budget, I would check Brookwood Hills, Ansley Park and up in Buckhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 04:31 PM

104 posts, read 61,491 times
At $650k, I would be purchasing in Summerhill, Grant Park, Edgewood, Reynoldstown, Cabbagetown, Candler Park, Lake Claire, and maybe Kirkwood (starting to push commutes longer), but that's just me. If you get an ebike, your commutes to Georgia Tech would be about 20 minutes both ways stress free from all those neighborhoods (maybe less from Summerhill/Grant Park/Cabbagetown). If you drive, still should be about 20 minutes in the morning and 30-40 minutes in the afternoon. Very safe neighborhoods with no gang members or drug dealers, so no real worry about homicides happening on your block. Just the rare car smashed window at night, which you can really even fix by just leaving your car unlocked when parked in front of your house. I've said time and time again on here that I don't really buy into the school rankings determine your child's SAT scores thing, but if that matters to you, these neighborhoods are getting increasingly wealthy and thus their school rankings/outcomes are going up.

My values stray from the average city-data.com forum users and couldn't get too much of a feel for your values and interests, but there's my perspective. For the record, I value walkability/alternative transportation, diversity, nightlife, sports, etc...those 7 neighborhoods I listed off nail pretty much all those points. I'm living in Peoplestown for the foreseeable future (probably until the O4W crowd continues their southward migration from Buckhead to Virginia-Highland to now Old 4th Ward and reaches here...Grant Park is next) but would love to buy in any of those neighborhoods once I build up some more assets. Atlanta also may look very different by the time that happens.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:02 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
To the poster with the College Park commute, are you happy with Woodward? If so, I have a plan for you! Move to Serenbe and live my dream life.

You could also do Peachtree City. It is more bland suburban, less farm-to-table paradise than Serenbe, but it has all the extra-curricular stuff for kids (that Serenbe doesn't have) and none of the crazy traffic of Atlanta plus amazing bike/golf cart paths AND truly excellent public schools, rivaling the East Cobb schools, and personally I think the lifestyle is better for kids in Peachtree City, it's just quieter. And actually, Peachtree City is probs my first choice for you guys, then do date nights and Saturdays in Serenbe for some culture. Peachtree City also works if you want to do Woodward. I think Woodward may even have a bus.

You could also look at Pinewood Forest in Fayetteville, a beautiful brand-new planned community and schools are similar to Peachtree City quality, or you could still do Woodward. There is a thread about it on here.

I live in Buckhead and kids go to the big Buckhead private schools--in fact, they've been to several of them :-)! You will really have to search to find a quiet (and flat!) street/neighborood to ride bikes. The schools are ridiculously amazing, but it is a lifestyle trade-off and I would live in Serenbe or Peachtree City in a heart beat. The kids just have more freedom to explore their passions, you can do more in a day than you can here--living in Morningside, you probably know what I mean.

Last edited by AtlJan; 09-01-2019 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta