Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:03 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times

Advertisements

This almost brings up the larger issue of end of life care. No one wants to say "don't do the expensive surgery to extend my life by a year or two, let me just die." Most say they want to age in their home, yet no one wants to tell their loved ones they don't want to do the surgery (for instance). And many homes have stairs and the like that are no longer suitable when you can't get around that well. So what does one do?

My grandmother is 90 (sweet as heck, but internally is a stubborn Norwegian). She lives alone in the home that her late husband built on a windy, blind driveway in what used to be rural NJ (and is now a fully developed NYC suburb). She still pulls her car out of that blind driveway daily and walks up those uneven steps. But outside of her SS check, she could never afford something more elder friendly. It is a conundrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 09:09 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Decades of exclusive car centric, SFH zoning in suburbs coming back to bite Boomers in rear.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,754 times
They are finding ways around this with new Assisted living models. Look at all the 55+ older places popping up on 92 in woodstock, there are at least 1000 units there between the 2 assisted living homes, the 3- 55+ and older communities with a mix of single families homes and cottages, and a few more being built right now.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Decades of exclusive car centric, SFH zoning in suburbs coming back to bite Boomers in rear.
Most of that development was also pushed by the pre-Boomer/Greatest Generation group. Personally, I don't think the millennials will be much better.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Most of that development was also pushed by the pre-Boomer/Greatest Generation group. Personally, I don't think the millennials will be much better.
This ageist crap is just mean spirited, like these folks deserve to suffer. The millennials are buying into the suburbs just as well, especially once they have kids.

I find the post you quoted to be extremely divisive and over the top.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:44 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This ageist crap is just mean spirited, like these folks deserve to suffer. The millennials are buying into the suburbs just as well, especially once they have kids.

I find the post you quoted to be extremely divisive and over the top.
I don't think cqholt wants anyone to suffer, but he wants people (of all generations) to remove their heads from their nether-regions and understand that the status quo of sprawl-development is not sustainable.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:10 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Nonsequitir.

Those people aren't taking mass transit.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I too am hopeful but they have their own lives. Which may or may not include the parental units.
No way in Hell am I putting my children in that position. First time I get wobbly on the stairs or begin to lose my night vision it's off to the home I go. My DH and I already have it picked out! Woo-hoo!

https://www.55places.com/south-carol...AvD_BwE#models

Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
They are finding ways around this with new Assisted living models. Look at all the 55+ older places popping up on 92 in woodstock, there are at least 1000 units there between the 2 assisted living homes, the 3- 55+ and older communities with a mix of single families homes and cottages, and a few more being built right now.
And yet those are very expensive. Assisted living and you are probably looking at 60k a year for a couple in the city.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:17 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I was shopping at the local supermarket the other day and was surprised by the number of personal shoppers I saw in there. They wear sport shirts to identify their service; there they were, pushing the baskets and ticking off items on their devices as they proceeded down the aisles. SSI is lousy with seniors with money, though, so I should have expected this development.
I was beginning to notice this at the Toco Hill (another area with a high senior count) Publix before I moved last year.
We have noticed this very thing at our new local Publix. This service is pretty expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: