Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 07:53 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times

Advertisements

After getting the short end of the stick lately with the continued bleeding/erasing of Turner and the loss of SunTrust, this is most definitely welcomed news.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...N6WTkxMnRUVCJ9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 08:11 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
It's a good company, for sure. Hopefully, it's learned from its past mistakes. However, Newell seems to still maintain this:

Newell Brands Design Center - Home

Several years ago, Newell decided to open a design center in Kalamazoo, Michigan, forcing many of its designers to relocate there. Why Kalamazoo? Good question, and I have no answer. It's as random as it sounds. The most believable story I heard is that some executive high up had roots in Michigan and wanted to move there. So he got some incentives from the state, and made it happen. That's not impossible to believe, stuff like that happens.

I have no idea if that's true, but it doesn't take a Harvard MBA to realize Kalamazoo, Michigan isn't exactly where you want to to be if you hope to attract top design talent. Rumors from the people who did make the move is the design center is a "total disaster."

This is based on third hand information, so if anyone knows better, feel free to correct.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:13 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,841 times
It's less than 100 corporate leaders. I don't think that makes up for Turner and Truist.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:21 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Several years ago, Newell decided to open a design center in Kalamazoo, Michigan, forcing many of its designers to relocate there. Why Kalamazoo? Good question, and I have no answer. It's as random as it sounds. The most believable story I heard is that some executive high up had roots in Michigan and wanted to move there. So he got some incentives from the state, and made it happen. That's not impossible to believe, stuff like that happens.

I have no idea if that's true, but it doesn't take a Harvard MBA to realize Kalamazoo, Michigan isn't exactly where you want to to be if you hope to attract top design talent. Rumors from the people who did make the move is the design center is a "total disaster."

This is based on third hand information, so if anyone knows better, feel free to correct.
My next door neighbor was on the search committee. I thought Kalamazoo was crazy, but that area of Michigan has a long history of solid design. Herman Miller is the leader, but there have been a lot of other ones.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:30 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
It's new information to me that there even was a search committee. The way I heard it, this was just something that one guy wanted to do. Goes to show... you can't always believe the rumor mill!

Old 08-02-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
It's less than 100 corporate leaders. I don't think that makes up for Turner and Truist.
But still, it at least cancels out Fortune 500 lost with SunTrust.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
I'm using the word search committee, but I don't know what they called it internally. My neighbor was part of a group that looked at multiple locations and made the recommendation. IIRC they liked the lower cost of living too. Places like LA or NY were too expensive.

Newell is a great employer for Atlanta to have and they sort of fly under the radar compared to household names like Turner, Home Depot, etc. Returning the HQ to Atlanta isn't a big deal in numbers, but it cements Atlanta's position within the company.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
It's a good company, for sure. Hopefully, it's learned from its past mistakes. However, Newell seems to still maintain this:

Oh Sweet Baby Jesus!!! Talk about a weird business decision indeed.

As a native of Michigan (Detroit), I'd first slit my wrist before moving to bum**** nowhere that is Kalamazoo.

I'm sure there are very nice people who live there and it's a fine town that suits the needs of some individuals, but you're 2-3 hours away from major cities (Chicago and Detroit), you're in the lake effect snow belt (thus virtually 9 months out of the year is solid overcast skies), it's lacking in diversity (very black/white and poor/working class) and besides Stryker, there are no other major white collar employers there (it does have a somewhat large university, but that's about it).

It's hard enough for companies trying to keep/attract talent to Metro Detroit after the auto industry collapse, so I can about imagine the hell it's been attracting/keeping talent at this design center for Newell.

Last edited by citidata18; 08-02-2019 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:

Im not defending the move, but Kalamazoo actually is a design hub in America.

I work for NB, and the Hoboken office was more of a ceremonial headquarters that was a pet project of the last CEO (who left the company a few weeks ago). It didn't actually house many workers, it was simply a headquarters on paper by most accounts.

NB's failed merger with jarden has left the company unnecessarily scattered about through various legacy hq's. Primarily it's the writing, baby, and food divisions still in Atlanta. Just got a new CEO this week, will be interesting what he does in the next 6-12 months. Even within ATL, we are spread across 3 different locations and have been moved amongst buildings too frequently. So more changes to come I think.....

Old 08-02-2019, 10:34 AM

340 posts, read 321,226 times
I still wish we could have gotten Honeywell (grrr...Charlotte). On the bright side, this move boosts ATL spirits while also providing a couple of new jobs as well. It also seems like no incwntives were used either which is a plus. This move now cements ATL's position withh commercial products with the likes of Home Depot, Westrock, Genuine Parts etc. Plus, UPS can ship all of their products lol.

Also, we'll be getting a new Fortune 500 with the merger of TSYS and Global Payments, but we will lose 2 Fortune 1000 companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: