Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,491 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a single black mom looking to move from Ohio to Georgia. I went to college in Atlanta back in the 90"s. I'm sure evrything is much different now. I have small children, both under the age of 12. So, I am looking for the city life, yet with an element of country. I want my children to experience what it is like to have access to the city, but with a touch of country. I was never a loud to have dogs, or cats growing up, so I want to expose my children to animals, big back yards, etc... I am very concerned about putting my girls in a good school system. They've only attended private schools,and are very advanced for their age/grade level. I am pursuing an MBA in public administration, and am currently a full-time student. I am looking for a position with the federal or state government, pferrably federal. Also, I am looking for the possibility of doing some teaching at the college level. I would love any constructive feedback, as I am looking to move at the close of the school year (which ends June 07,2008). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
City life with an element of country, excellent schools, big back yards and possibly near a college/university.

Gwinnett county is my first thought.

They were recently granted a 4yr college, IIRC, some innovative plans were proposed.

Here>>
Georgia Gwinnett College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AJC>>>
Learning from other college towns | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2008/04/07/collegetown_0407.html - broken link)

Other posters are more familiar with specific areas of Gwinnett --ie--Lawrenceville, Suwanee, Buford and beyond.

If you could live/work there you could explore Atlanta on the weekends.
hth

Last edited by TakeAhike; 04-16-2008 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-16-2008, 01:43 PM

7 posts, read 40,258 times
Depending on how far away from the city you want to live, you could consider Villa Rica, GA. Its about 40 minutes away from town, and is a nice area.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 12,384 times
Nothing out there though. It was growing, but growth has been at a standstill for about a year now. Try Dacula

Old 06-30-2008, 04:22 PM

39 posts, read 151,967 times
What about Fayette county? The schools are good, and it's definitely quiet with plenty of retail. I have heard good things about Ptree City, Tyrone and Fayetteville (just not on the Clayton County border).

Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,690 times
I would try Coweta county. It's got the feel you're looking for. Try Senoia specifically

Old 06-30-2008, 08:43 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,588 times
I'd first look at Camp Creek Parkway (Sandtown, outside the perimeter, like Butner Rd South of Camp Creek). There's also Powder Springs, Cartersville, Cherokee County (Canton, Woodstock), Cartersville, Forsyth County (Cumming) or Dallas. Camp Creek and Powder Springs will have the best commutes of the aforementioned.

If I got you right, you're not looking for a 10 acre ranch with horses, but just a yard with room to move around in, like a couple acres. Even in those areas, which are cheaper for the metro, you're often going to be starting in the $300s and up for that much land. Cartersville seems to have the largest lots for the money of all I've listed. There are some 2 acre lot homes in the $200ks with respectable square footage in the home.

You'll be looking at an hour+ commute for everything but Sandtown and Powder Springs, but some people consider it worth it. I don't You can just as easily by a house next to a park or with an association playground

However, if the commuter rails get built.. At least you'll get to read a book while you are commuting.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-30-2008 at 09:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta