Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 06:55 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,723,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
In this area. I definitely have to agree. N.Dallas is far more expensive than N.Fulton. If you add property tax it becomes pretty insane. The wages there however do seem a bit higher. I've had offers paying $175k and above from there.
While property taxes may be higher, the lack of an income tax (a major perk that shouldn't be trivialized) makes up for it.

And furthermore, property taxes are only an issue if you're buying property. In terms of rents, I can't imagine they're too much different in Dallas from Atlanta's rents.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:14 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,278,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Metro Atlanta is more than "Alpharetta to Perimeter to Midtown." What you describe is not the experience in others parts of Metro Atlanta.

I repeat once more, I'd stay in Metro Atlanta if the right opportunity in the right part of the region came along.

In any event, the purpose of my post was to merely share my job search experience here and highlight the point the OP was making about how difficult it can be to find employment. It's unfortunate that you and others took my comments personal, as that wasn't the intention.
Not taking it personally, just interested in your perspective. I agree there is more to ATL than the 400 corridor but it’s my experience to date after a couple of years here and many years elsewhere.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,278,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Northern Dallas is very similar to North Fulton. Austin is different and not replicated in Georgia.

fwiw, My family moved 7 years ago and it opened up a lot of career opportunities for my spouse. She even found jobs for 2 friends and they moved too. They all talk about how it transformed their careers for the better, but here is a catch. The COL is so high they will never be able to buy a house and they rent houses that are well below what they are used to but cost a lot.

The great thing about Atlanta is affordability and the ability to buy a house. Sure that house might not be in your dream location, but you can buy. Here is the cheapest 4 bed 2 ba house in Roswell without issues. Here is the cheapest in a town near me that is basically the Roswell of Colorado. The Colorado house is more than double, and those housing costs impact the cost of everything. Minimum wage is heading to $15 for a reason. Sure the jobs are better, but good luck having extra money in your pocket.
I think Citidata18 and DreamerD would do well in Austin. It’s a booming and fun city, very progressive for Texas. Property taxes wouldn’t be critical if they are renters.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Not taking it personally, just interested in your perspective. I agree there is more to ATL than the 400 corridor but it’s my experience to date after a couple of years here and many years elsewhere.
I think I've been pretty thorough in presenting my perspective.

I don't even dispute your perspective. I'm merely emphasizing that your experience isn't the same as others.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I think Citidata18 and DreamerD would do well in Austin. It’s a booming and fun city, very progressive for Texas. Property taxes wouldn’t be critical if they are renters.
Austin is too small and expensive for me.

The metros that peak my interest are (in this order):

1. Dallas / Houston

2. Charlotte

3. Chicago

4. Minneapolis

And this isn't a knock on Atlanta, which overall has many positive attributes. But ultimately, you first and foremost have to go where you can maximize career growth / social network / QOL, and for many people that may not be in Atlanta

Old 11-01-2019, 07:34 AM

11,848 posts, read 8,059,662 times
Quote:
Eh, becareful with that. Austin is the most expensive metro in Texas. Avg home price is just shy of $400k... for the entire metro (where comparably only a few suburbs in Atlanta). Also it's only good if you're in IT or government. Anything outside of that and you are living under a bridge. Its great if you have the money but if not, it's very inhospitable. I love Austin (where I live) but I would not have moved here making under $75k a year. I make more than that and am quite comfortable thankfully but it's no place to up and relocate to without either a considerable savings or a high paying job. Another issue is this place is attracting a ton of outsiders from Californka who are snagging up jobs paying $150k + and selling their homes in California while paying off their new house in Austin and reducing inventory for locals driving the price higher and further increasing the rental market.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:48 AM

11,848 posts, read 8,059,662 times
Quote:
While property taxes may be higher, the lack of an income tax (a major perk that shouldn't be trivialized) makes up for it.

And furthermore, property taxes are only an issue if you're buying property. In terms of rents, I can't imagine they're too much different in Dallas from Atlanta's rents.
TX also has lower fuel prices (about $0.50 difference), cheaper natural gas, and much cheaper HOA's. But overall I still find Texas to be a bit more expensive to live in. Does it offset the wage increases? Not really in my opinion, but it is high enough where someone can be shell shocked by it if they aren't prepared for it.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:11 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,713,719 times
Quote:
Austin is too small and expensive for me.

The metros that peak my interest are (in this order):

1. Dallas / Houston

2. Charlotte

3. Chicago

4. Minneapolis

And this isn't a knock on Atlanta, which overall has many positive attributes. But ultimately, you first and foremost have to go where you can maximize career growth / social network / QOL, and for many people that may not be in Atlanta
Having moved from Minneapolis, I can confirm its a good place to live if long winters are not a factor for you. It is very liberal and extremely passive aggressive, so do consider how you would handle those aspects. Roughly speaking I've found the cost of living to be similar to N. Atl metro in general. Taxes are higher than here.

On the job front, they knock it out of the park from a F500 perspective. Particularly strong in Retail, CPG, Med Device, Finance, and agribusiness. The suburbs are much more homogeneous in the Twin Cities vs. Atlanta, as are the people. Many people have lived there their entire life, have only visited the 5 neighboring states, and are within driving distance to their parents and grandparents. Not good or bad necessarily, but it does shape how you interact with others there. A good portion of families have a "cabin" "up north" owned by someone in the family, meaning many residents skip town almost every weekend in the summer, which at times can make you feel left out. If you like taking weekend trips to other cities, the Twin Cities is limited in this regard. Much more outdoorsy/healthy populace however. Parks, sidewalks, bike and walking trails everywhere, and they keep them all plowed in the winter.

Traffic is maybe slightly better in the Twin Cities, but moreso different. You don't have single lane intown backups that Atlanta gets, and there are less semis. But many of the highways are only two lanes in each direction and get backedup more than some of our interstates here do.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:16 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,373,351 times
Quote:
Right, you listed -

“1) From individuals to institutions, too religious.

2) Better social life; more diversity.
3) Too conservative here.

4) Economic opportunities: More fields I'd be eligible for and easier to get a job. Won't have to fit a certain mold.”

What don’t you get with #2 today in Atlanta?

I used to live in a bigger major city and it was more diverse. Please no one on here berate me. I'm just answering the question. As for social life, I find it easier to make friends everywhere else but here. Again, I have "friends" by most people's measure but I have a very strict definition of what constitutes a friend and I am not getting that here.

What are you looking for in #4?

This is just my experience but I've gotten treated so horribly in the workplace here. The racism is crazy. I live in the burbs and it's not as "okay and accepting" as people portray. There's also the religious element where it finds it's way into programs, the workplace, etc. There's an unwritten culture where people feel as if you shouldn't get breaks, and you better not complain about it. Even the workers are like that. The slavery mentality is real not just in terms of how you should be treated as a human but the thought process. Again my experiences and I'm working on my situation. I'm in a tight spot but I am trying really hard to do better.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:15 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,373,351 times
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think Austin would be my cup of tea. I would like to live in a bigger city where there is more to do. For some reason Texas on a whole doesn't appeal to me. Everything is a trade off and so I understand that with certain cities I might lose out on cost of living for example and I am willing to make that sacrifice for what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Eh, becareful with that. Austin is the most expensive metro in Texas. Avg home price is just shy of $400k... for the entire metro (where comparably only a few suburbs in Atlanta). Also it's only good if you're in IT or government. Anything outside of that and you are living under a bridge. Its great if you have the money but if not, it's very inhospitable. I love Austin (where I live) but I would not have moved here making under $75k a year. I make more than that and am quite comfortable thankfully but it's no place to up and relocate to without either a considerable savings or a high paying job. Another issue is this place is attracting a ton of outsiders from Californka who are snagging up jobs paying $150k + and selling their homes in California while paying off their new house in Austin and reducing inventory for locals driving the price higher and further increasing the rental market.

A few people have recommended Cali to me and I just have no interest because not trying to live like a pauper lol. I hear it's beautiful though. I would probably consider it if I weren't single but yeah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta