Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 03:55 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I am curious as to whether many people who are apparently in "denial" about the ongoing warming tend occurring world wide are influenced to be in that state of "denial" largely as a result of their political leanings which cause them to not only ignore actual data that is continuously accumulating but also to ignore & discount the overall conclusions that the vast majority of climate scientists are reaching? Why among the deniers is there so much disregard for data-driven science?
Remember, these are the types of people who will find one particular instance of something from way back when, and say that one instance disproves an ongoing trend. One day 100 years ago was warmer than it's ever been now, so ongoing higher temperatures for longer period now means nothing. Unemployment being a tick lower now than it was a few years years ago, even though it's been trending down for almost ten years means that the person in charge now is fully responsible for the lowest unemployment. The stock market being at near-record levels now, even though the market has been volatile for the last 20 months and no higher than it would be having just trended up as it was, means that the person in charge now is fully responsible for record stock growth.

This is the general mindset you have to deal with in some people.

I honestly can't understand how someone could be against renewable, clean energy rather than burning coal and fossil fuels, unless they have a monetary stake in the latter and that was more important to them.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:44 PM

163 posts, read 138,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I wonder what they were blaming it on back then, considering that the entire world was far less populated and developed than it is today.

I dunno, maybe god? Climate science has come a long way in 100 years. Kind of like how the idea of, for example, spontaneous generation was debunked, science helps us refine our knowledge of the world.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:23 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Remember, these are the types of people who will find one particular instance of something from way back when, and say that one instance disproves an ongoing trend. One day 100 years ago was warmer than it's ever been now, so ongoing higher temperatures for longer period now means nothing. Unemployment being a tick lower now than it was a few years years ago, even though it's been trending down for almost ten years means that the person in charge now is fully responsible for the lowest unemployment. The stock market being at near-record levels now, even though the market has been volatile for the last 20 months and no higher than it would be having just trended up as it was, means that the person in charge now is fully responsible for record stock growth.

I honestly can't understand how someone could be against renewable, clean energy rather than burning coal and fossil fuels, unless they have a monetary stake in the latter and that was more important to them.
I think being of a Houston mindset plays a huge role in this sort of thought process on display here as well, along with the usual anti-rail agenda often espoused lifted from the same playbook.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:24 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:

I think most do, but even with all the political oil agendas asside, it isnt as easy at it sounds. Let's take cars for example. Let's say they all went electric, while they may not spew Co2 in clean open air - they will put a much larger load on the power grid, possibly much larger than our current grid is capable of handling, therefore what happens? They have to expand it, What's the cheapest, quickest and most feasible way to do so? Fossil Fuels. So you end up spewing the same amount of Co2 in more concentrated pockets.

Solar can work but theres many issues that come along with it besides the cost. For it to truly work, just about every state would have widely implement it for it to make a real dent on the power grid and there are many states (especially Northern) who will never reap cost effective benefits from it. Perhaps production en-masse can reduce the cost. I personally would like to see Texas use more of it. Austin specifically offers incentives and covers portions of the installation but that's about all I know of as far as that goes. California on the other hand is requiring every new home to have panels included after 2020 I believe. In solar energy I will say America in general is lagging behind most developed countries.

Wind Turbines suffer similar issues. As far as renewables go, at best they can only offer supplemental power to our grid and that's even if we completely decked every roof with panels, they estimate if every roof in the country had panels it would still offer less than half of the power we currently consume.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:24 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I wonder what they were blaming it on back then, considering that the entire world was far less populated and developed than it is today.
It was Calvin Coolidge’s fault...he was a Republican after all

Old 09-29-2019, 08:50 AM

225 posts, read 144,408 times
Should have stated previously lived in Central Arizona at 3200 feet elevation. Was usually 6-7 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Here in GA, thinking some wildlife critters are really suffering more than usual from dryness and lengthy high temps. Seen more dead animals on the roads than usual, and wonder if they might be more active looking for shade and water. Lots of brown grass patches everywhere I look. Suspect this will be more the new normal with prolonged drought and heat waves to come. When I lived in Miami was grateful we had the ocean to cool off in. That was hot back in 1980's, and many in Miami will tell you they've definitely noted the effects of climate change there. Human caused climate change deniers say climate change activists are mistaken in not understanding there have always been periods in recorded history with higher than average temperatures, with more severe drought, heavier rainfall totals, etc. The consensus among those who research climate change, think human activity is one of the main drivers causing increasingly hot planet (warming oceans).

Last edited by trouillot; 09-29-2019 at 08:58 AM..

Old 09-29-2019, 11:00 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
My parents visited here last year in early October and it was also in the 90s. Either way it's a solid 10+ degrees over average.

My MIL in Minneapolis just called me and said she had to sell apples at the local farmers market and it was 41 degrees there!

A vast majority of climates have a portion of the year where residents will gripe about the extreme nature of their weather, and now is obviously that time in georgia. When I lived in the twin cities, it would be in April when it was brown, cold, and snowing. As I've moved around, it gives you great perspective and you build a resiliency to harsh weather.

I do appreciate all the sunshine we get, even though we need the rain. Thankful that Georgia very seldom has just gray, blanket clouds with no rain like I used to experience up north.

All that said, I concur and wish it were 75 today

Old 09-29-2019, 11:56 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I think most do, but even with all the political oil agendas asside, it isnt as easy at it sounds. Let's take cars for example. Let's say they all went electric, while they may not spew Co2 in clean open air - they will put a much larger load on the power grid, possibly much larger than our current grid is capable of handling, therefore what happens? They have to expand it, What's the cheapest, quickest and most feasible way to do so? Fossil Fuels. So you end up spewing the same amount of Co2 in more concentrated pockets.
It's not like the change would happen overnight. As as we add charging electric cars to the grid, we remove current power-hungry lighting and replace it with much more efficient LED, lightening the load on the power grid. This becomes even more apparent as most cars would be charging at night, as the main load on the power grid from other uses is lower. In the end, you add some, and you take some away, staying fairly neutral.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:18 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
It's not like the change would happen overnight. As as we add charging electric cars to the grid, we remove current power-hungry lighting and replace it with much more efficient LED, lightening the load on the power grid. This becomes even more apparent as most cars would be charging at night, as the main load on the power grid from other uses is lower. In the end, you add some, and you take some away, staying fairly neutral.
Well. Believe it or not alot of night lighting has already been converted to LED's. They're everywhere in AR, TX, even LA and MS have them fairly widely implemented. Atlanta has quite a bit as well now to but it isnt as widely implemented once you start leaving ITP area. It would help but it wouldn't do much in contending to electric cars, more energy efficient industries would help but all it would really do is push blue collar jobs offshore where they can continue polluting and saving.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:18 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
One hot spell doesn't a trend make. But when you get hot spell after hot spell after hot spell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta