Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 09:17 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I ended up booking on AA - not that much more than Spirit (when you factor in a bag) and more flight options if something gets delayed or canceled. Half the price of Delta with a short connection in Charlotte both ways.
AA = Alaska Airlines or American Airlines?

EDIT: Never mind, I assume with the connection in Charlotte, it's American...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 01:21 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,902 times
Quote:
I ended up booking on AA - not that much more than Spirit (when you factor in a bag) and more flight options if something gets delayed or canceled. Half the price of Delta with a short connection in Charlotte both ways.
Good choice. Spirit and Frontier will nickel and dime you to death and then some more.
We found that it basically comes down to the same $$ at the end of the day give and take a few bucks.
Southwest is DA best - but yeah it sucks if you do not get a direct flight.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:20 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Good choice. Spirit and Frontier will nickel and dime you to death and then some more.
We found that it basically comes down to the same $$ at the end of the day give and take a few bucks.
Southwest is DA best - but yeah it sucks if you do not get a direct flight.
The clincher was only one flight a day and a meeting the next day I had to be there for.

At least with American there are multiple options if a flight is delayed or canceled. For a short connection I’ll happily save $300.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:43 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,704,891 times
I fly spirit all the time back to Minneapolis and it's great!

I used to hear all the horror stories, but those mostly applied to spirit 10 years ago. The have actually worked hard to overcome their bad name.

I actually prefer them for the following reasons:

They attract a no fuss clientele
They aren't coming down the aisle with a cart the entire flight
The above frees them to actually be helpful
They are encouraged to be fun with customers

Many of the current horror stories come from people who act surprised that spirit is a low cost carrier and charges a la carte, which I feel like they do more than an adequate job of calling out when booking.

Southwest used to do this route, but pulled out of Delta hubs 8 months ago. While I liked that option, for all the praise I hear about Southwest, I've actually had bad experiences with their customer service.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Would probably be better off flying Southwest if you're looking for an inexpensive flight.
They pulled this route about 8 months ago, didn't want to compete in Delta hubs

Old 12-27-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks - my only worry is a cancellation. Just sucks that Delta is considerably more than anyone else for this route.
I had spirit cancel one time due to a major snowstorm, but to be fair, all carriers cancelled flights

Old 12-27-2019, 01:17 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
Quote:
Considering them for an upcoming trip to Minneapolis. Would love to hear feedback positive and negative related to flying out of Atlanta.
Ive flown them atleast 4 times round trip in the last 2 years and never had an issue, Frontier as well.

What are the concerns or issues you think you might have?

Pretty much, for a smooth trip on them these are the GENERAL RULES FOR A SMOOTH SPIRIT & FRONTIER FLIGHT.

Buy at the airport if possible and saves you $30 to 40 RT

Check in exactly 24hrs before the flight and let them auto assign your seat for free vs paying for a seat assignment. If anything, ask on the flight if you can swap seats with someone if you get separated from your party, and alot of times, folks will do it.

Have your boarding pass emailed to you and use it to board or the Spirit APP, if you dont have access to a printer to print them. DO NOT ask a ticket agent to print them, as there is a $10 fee. I think the Kiosk at the airport may be free as well.

You get 1 free personal item (18x14x8) that goes under your seat infront of you. This includes purse etc, so pretty much bring a bookbag as your everything. If you want to check a bag under the plane, get it at the time for purchase for $25 each way, otherwise it goes up and if you want a carry-on, it will be $45, so back to the beginning, the free personal item I first listed is how you avoid bag fees.

Be prepared to be cramped, as their seats are a pre-reclined 28" pitch and are tolerable for about 2hrs before you rear says enough, as the seats are thinly padded.

Buy your own food or snack as water is $3 on the plane, so bring a empty water bottle and fill it up before you get to the gate.

The majority of the time, you will have no incident on Spirit, but keep in mind they have 1 flight a day to most destinations, so if something does go wrong, you can get burned bad, if the flights afterward are booked. But all carriers have delays, cancellations, but might handle you better when they do vs the ultra discount carriers. Aslo get to the aiport 2hrs ealry, just to make sure you dont miss your flight and end up in the situations where I see people cursing out the agents, because they cant get a flight for sometimes days afterwards.

My rule is, if its very important where im going, ill take Delta or SW, but I use Spirit as a 1-3day trip type carrier since I pack light. If you start adding on a bunch of stuff, the fees will pretty much make you just book SW or Delta instead. You get what you pay for, if you want alot, book the big carriers, if you want basic go with the low cost carrier, but keep in mind the new ECONOMY fares on Delta, United, and AA have so much restrictions, you might as well book, Spirit or Frontier for way cheaper in the end. United is the worst and Delta is the best when it comes to Economy basic.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Ive flown them atleast 4 times round trip in the last 2 years and never had an issue, Frontier as well.

What are the concerns or issues you think you might have
You covered the most important one - one flight a day. And a meeting I have to be at the next morning.

After adding up the baggage charge it wasn’t that much more to take American via Charlotte, with decent assigned seats (i.e. main cabin not economy basic). If something cancels on AA I have other options to get there.

If I was traveling for leisure I would definitely take another look at Spirit.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:33 AM

894 posts, read 1,325,729 times
I flew Spirit a few times and I'm not even exaggerating my flight was delayed 2 hours each time! I'll stick to southwest and delta.

Now if money tight and Spirit is $150 and delta is $300 I'll probably buy that spirit flight lol.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
I flew Spirit a few times and I'm not even exaggerating my flight was delayed 2 hours each time! I'll stick to southwest and delta.

Now if money tight and Spirit is $150 and delta is $300 I'll probably buy that spirit flight lol.
For me was more like Spirit $200-250 and Delta $600+. Crazy for a direct flight in economy booked 3 weeks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: