Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 08:01 PM

33 posts, read 42,663 times

Advertisements

I'm considering of purchasing a $450k home in one of Fulton or Gwinnett County Ga.
Wonder which towns or cities within these 2 counties are best fit.

Here are some of the deciding factors in the following order:

1) School district (I have a 9 y/o)
2) I work from home (however, great option if I'm within 45mins commute of finance jobs)
3) Away from the crowd. Prefer country vibe rather than city life.
4) Moderate political views

I mentioned the above 2 counties because based on my research - they seem to be the best fit.
If you help me narrow down to the town or city - that would be great!

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 11:06 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOn08 View Post
I'm considering of purchasing a $450k home in one of Fulton or Gwinnett County Ga.
Wonder which towns or cities within these 2 counties are best fit.

Here are some of the deciding factors in the following order:

1) School district (I have a 9 y/o)
2) I work from home (however, great option if I'm within 45mins commute of finance jobs)
3) Away from the crowd. Prefer country vibe rather than city life.
4) Moderate political views

I mentioned the above 2 counties because based on my research - they seem to be the best fit.
If you help me narrow down to the town or city - that would be great!

thank you!
Finding something within that price range in the more sparsely part of Fulton County (in the highly affluent community of Milton in outer-suburban North Fulton County) that might be near the most finance jobs (in major business districts like Downtown Atlanta, Midtown Atlanta, Buckhead, Perimeter Center and Alpharetta/Roswell) likely could be a challenge in what interestingly continues to be a competitive housing market in the more desirable areas.

Though, neighboring South Forsyth County (which has been experiencing a major explosion in the area’s Asian population in recent years) likely would be a good option for attempting to find a home within your price range in a farther out suburban area with a relatively much more moderate political environment.

Outer-suburban/exurban North Forsyth County likely would provide the kind of “country vibe” that you like with homes in your price range, but with a much more decidedly conservative (though still moderate by GA standards) political environment.

South Fulton County (including in the less developed Chattahoochee Hills area of the county accessible by South Fulton Parkway) and its relatively close proximity to major employment hubs like Fulton Industrial Blvd/Six Flags/I-20 West, Downtown and the Airport, potentially might could be an acceptable alternative to the higher cost areas of North Fulton County.

Increasingly ultra-diverse Gwinnett County (particularly some of the relatively more sparsely developed northern and eastern parts of the county in areas like Buford, Dacula, Braselton and Hoschton) would also be a good option as a place to look for homes in your price range in an area with a relatively much more moderate political environment.

Though, the relatively more sparsely developed northern and eastern parts of Gwinnett County, as well as the nearby parts of neighboring counties like Hall, Barrow and Jackson, potentially might put you a little farther away than you might like from the bulk of the finance jobs that may be more likely to be located in the aforementioned major employment hubs in Fulton County.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Another option is Cherokee County, between Milton and Woodstock (such as the Hickory Flat area). A ton of development going on and I’d bet you could get new construction for $450K.

Schools are improving due to so much inflow, and it’s within 45 minutes of either Marietta or Alpharetta.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:18 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
I lived in Gwinnett, and spent a lot of time in Forsyth County. Northern Forsyth crushes Gwinnett for 9 year olds due to better schools and parks. The Lambert High School cluster is outstanding. Look South of State Road 20 on the estern side of the Chattahoochie River all the way down to the County line, but stay i Forsyth...much lower property taxes than Fulton or Gwinnett.

I don't get how Forsyth has much lower property taxes, but their schools & parks are superior. In Forsyth, you also have proximity to Lake Lanier, and the North Georgia Mountains. Take your 9 year old and a few of their friends to Big Canoe Resort in the Foothills of the N GA Mountains, just 45 minutes from Lambert High footprint. Rent a place for the weekend, and you'll have a memorable time.

If your a romantic, take your spouse up to the wineries around Dahlonega. Check out the German village of Helen, or go see real Mountains in Blue Ridge, & take the train ride through the Mountains.

Northern Forsyth County is the best value by far, and it opens up the North Georgia Mountains to you. If not near Lanbert High School, look further West and North w/in 2 miles of Hwy 400 so you can quickly pop down to Avalon & Northpoint retail areas in Alpharetta, or North to the Outlet Mall.

You'll thank me each year you get your property tax bill if you buy in Forsyth County rather than Fulton or Gwinnett.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:41 PM

which city or town in South Fulton County do you recommend? I read good reviews of Cummings but then I did some
research on my own found 1) more renters than owners in Cummings, 2) sex crime/offenders in the area. If those 2 points
are accurate or true then definitely a turn off.

Disclaimer - we are from NY/NJ. I have never been to Georgia but my wife has been to suburb of Atlanta a number of times.
She said that people are exceptionally friend and quite religious. We plan to visit once the weather gets a bit warmer.

Based on internet research and have never been to Georgia personally - right now I have Johns Creek, Alpharetta,
Suwanee and Sugar Hill on my list while keeping my options open and potentially revising it as I learn more and visit
in person

I work from home - so commute wise is not top of my criteria unless I found myself needing to find new employment.

Any of these places have good soccer academies for youth and pickup games for adults?

again, Thank you!

Old 01-12-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
which city or town in South Fulton County do you recommend?
Do you mean South Fulton County in south/southwest metro Atlanta, or do you mean South Forsyth County, which borders North Fulton County and includes part of the Alpharetta and Suwanee mailing areas?

If you’re talking about South Fulton County, Chattahoochee Hills probably would be the best place to look... Though the schools are not as highly regarded in South Fulton County as the schools are in North Fulton and South Forsyth counties.

If you are talking about South Forsyth County in the outer suburbs of North metro Atlanta, the areas with Alpharetta, Suwanee and Cumming mailing addresses would be the places to look.

(In the Atlanta region, most housing searches are conducted by high school clusters as opposed to city or town, which means that the Lambert, South Forsyth, Denmark clusters of the Forsyth County Schools system would be the best places to look in South Forsyth County.

The Forsyth Central and West Forsyth high school clusters in Central Forsyth County would be good places to look also, though those areas might be slightly less politically moderate than the 3 aforementioned school zones in South Forsyth County.)

Quote:
I read good reviews of Cummings but then I did some
research on my own found 1) more renters than owners in Cummings, 2) sex crime/offenders in the area. If those 2 points
Did your research into Cumming include only the 7 square mile area of Cumming proper, or did it include the much larger roughly 120 square mile area of both zip codes 30040 and 30041 that has a Cumming mailing address.

The 7 square miles of the incorporated area of Cumming proper is likely to be responsible for any unfavorable statistics you might have found.

As a collection of modest single-family housing, apartment complexes, much industrial development (including a Tyson Foods poultry processing plant), modest office commercial development, a local fairgrounds complex and some county government facilities, the small 7 square mile area that is Cumming proper has some development characteristics that may skew the statistics in an unfavorable direction if that is the only area that is surveyed.

The larger 120 square mile area with a Cumming mailing address that encompasses much of Forsyth County is much more affluent and is likely to have much more favorable and much more appealing statistics.

That is because Forsyth County (much of which is covered by the 120 square mile area with a Cumming mailing address) is one of the most affluent counties in Georgia and is one of the more affluent suburban counties in the entire U.S.

Forsyth County is recognized by many as having one of the absolute best public school systems in Georgia and as being one of the best outer-suburban/exurban public school systems in the nation.

Forsyth County also sits on the western shores of Lake Lanier, a popular body of water for supply and outdoor recreation in a landlocked metropolitan region in greater Atlanta and the North Georgia foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Any of these places have good soccer academies for youth and pickup games for adults?

again, Thank you!
The United Futbol Academy Forsyth is a soccer academy/youth league for players ages 3-18 that is based out of a complex of 6 soccer fields at Fowler Park in Cumming not too far from Denmark High School in South Forsyth County. UFA Forsyth is part of a larger academy/youth league that teaches the game of soccer to youth all over Georgia.

UNITED FUTBOL ACADEMY FORSYTH

The Atlanta Sport & Social Club has pickup soccer games for adults all over metro Atlanta.

Atlanta Sport and Social Club offers a variety of co-ed and men's soccer leagues year-round! We play our leagues on top of the line turf and grass at convenient locations throughout Atlanta.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
which city or town in South Fulton County do you recommend? I read good reviews of Cummings but then I did some

Disclaimer - we are from NY/NJ. I have never been to Georgia but my wife has been to suburb of Atlanta a number of times.
She said that people are exceptionally friend and quite religious. We plan to visit once the weather gets a bit warmer.

Based on internet research and have never been to Georgia personally - right now I have Johns Creek, Alpharetta,
Suwanee and Sugar Hill on my list while keeping my options open and potentially revising it as I learn more and visit
in person

I work from home - so commute wise is not top of my criteria unless I found myself needing to find new employment.

again, Thank you!
Just FYI there is no “s” in Cumming. Ironically my NYer father in law, who has lived in GA for over 10 years, also adds the s.

There will be a bit of a cultural shift between NY/NJ and GA, but overall people are people. There are also a LOT of transplants here from the Northeast and elsewhere.

Southern Forsyth is undergoing a huge transformation from a small, rural, white county to a multicultural bedroom community for Alpharetta and 400 Corridor tech companies. So you are bound to get a lot of renters but also there is a ton of new construction going on.

Forsyth also is now the highest average income county in Georgia, and I believe the most educated as well. A big change in the last 20 years.

Come down for a visit, I think you’ll be pleased.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:47 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times
From Sugar Hill/Suwanee west into Southern Forsyth will have what you're looking for.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I came across this I believe from Niche.com. I don't know how accurate this is.

So I looked into homes for sale on internet in 30040 and 30041 zip code. I see that they border Alpharetta, Johns Creek and Suwanee. It seems like similar to Milton which I like from reading I did on internet but home price in 30040, 30041 is closer to my budget than Milton. The location seems great as well. I'm going to do some research into the schools in these 2 zipcode.

Wonder if any other zipcode within Johns Creek, Suwanee, Sugar Hill that has great schools, less densely populated yet fits my budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta