Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 10:32 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings... but I'm trying to call it for what it is. This forum, and most of the people on it, are in the same socio-economic bubble. I grew up in the bubble, you don't realize it's a bubble until you leave it. You think that's the whole world. Or at least I did. I grew up on the north side and many or most of my friends had the kind of income that I'm talking about. I've been in a hubdred mansions, I'm not jealous... they're nothing special.

What I'm trying to impart is a lot like the story of David and Uriah the Hittite in the bible. David had hundreds of wives and had a man killed so he could take his only wife. Y'all in the mansions, you have your pick of the entire country, but there's only one Atlanta that a lot of people call home. Once it's gone, the option to just get a transfer and move whereever, willy nilly, like y'all do, is not there. There are consequences to the actions y'all take and I don't think, in general, that many of you have much of an appreciation of what great effect y'all's actions have on everybody else, the degree of power and influence you have to shape things. You all have a great responsibility because of this.
Well I think you are hurting people’s feelings. I remember you talking about how bad all those people in the north were and how many were druggies.
If the mansions aren’t special and you’re not jealous, then why are you you even mentioning them.
I live in Marietta and many of the large homes sit on the same size lots as the smaller homes. What’s the difference. They both take up the same space.
You dislike people with money. Some people had the gumption to work hard to get that money. Do you fault them work taking initiative? Is it better they just accept their lot in life and wait for others to support them? This country was built by people who worked hard. Most everyone appreciates the opportunity to make a better richer life for themselves. For those who do, are they now evil greedy people destroying the city of Atlanta. They were once like you. But they went to school, worked multiple jobs, etc to get ahead. Now you label them as bad because they didn’t sit on their behinds.
Honestly I’d rather have a country full of go getters than people who sit back and just complain about others.
Your idea that people can pick anywhere to get their mansion tells me you don’t know squat about the rest of the country. As I said before back where I’m from 800k won’t even get you a starter home. So the choices are more limited.
As far as them ruining the one and only Atlanta, I find your distaste for those people very hateful and jealous. Why do you get to pick and choose who should be allowed to live in Atlanta? When I first came on to cd and got your response, I got a few dms from people to,ignore posters like you and that most people weren’t like you. I’m glad I ignored you and moved here. I love the people here and as far as a McMansion, I live in one. I didn’t displace anyone, it was built over 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 01:29 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,362 times
Interesting discussion. The only thing I find odd about Californians moving hear is that it's far as hell from their home base but that's just me. ATL is always adding people so it doesn't matter where a person is from. I'm a first-gen Atlantan so it's whatever to me. Non issue here.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:51 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Look at it this way: McMansions are the result of mostly outsiders moving in to take advantage of the lack of land regulations in this state. Regulations, that, if in place, would do like Oregon- prevent clear-cutting and suburban development beyond a certain point, to maintain the natural beauty and the character of the region.

You guys are asserting how much you appreciate your freedom- but many of the freedoms you're asserting are just the ability to use your means to do things you can't do in your home states: run over the environment, animals, tradition, community, and other things that are valuable to people, but can't be quantified in financial terms.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:52 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Look at it this way: McMansions are the result of mostly outsiders moving in to take advantage of the lack of land regulations in this state. Regulations, that, if in place, would do like Oregon- prevent clear-cutting and suburban development beyond a certain point, to maintain the natural beauty and the character of the region.

You guys are asserting how much you appreciate your freedom- but many of the freedoms you're asserting are just the ability to use your means to do things you can't do in your home states: run over the environment, animals, tradition, community, and other things that are valuable to people, but can't be quantified in financial terms.
Georgia is not the only state in which McMansions are being built in large numbers.

Georgia also is not the only state that is and has been experiencing a large influx of affluent newcomers buying large homes. Georgia has much company (including states like Florida, Texas, Nevada, Colorado, Washington state, North Carolina, Tennessee, etc.) in that category.

I agree that protecting the environment and our natural beauty should be a priority in this state, in every state and in this country, and I understand your frustration that environmental protections are not always a priority.

But taking your personal frustrations out on newcomers just trying to improve their quality-of-life is not okay.

Your problem should not be with individual people and families who move to Georgia out of states like California and New York, etc, to escape high housing and living costs.

Your problem probably should be with a national culture that often deprioritizes and devalues environmental and historical protections.

There are better and much more constructive ways to address your concerns than to try dissuade people from coming to Georgia by attempting to harass them out of the desire to move here.

Doing stuff like that makes all of us look bad and makes Atlanta and Georgia unnecessarily and incorrectly look like an uninviting and unwelcoming place.

Also you should just not assume that people who want to move to Georgia from other, more populous states and metro areas are bad people who “run over the environment, animals, tradition, community, and other things that are valuable to people.”

Moving from states like California, New York, etc, to Georgia just so one can live in a larger house and keep more of their incomes does not at all make those residents bad people. It just makes them human.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:19 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:

You have no idea what you are talking about. All I hear is illogical hate. Who cares if it is a macmansion. If it takes up the same lot as a 1500 sq foot home what’s the difference. If anything that older smaller home you see as so precious is wasting space where affordable housing could be put in so more people could live there.
The Atlanta Area is very pretty and I don’t see natural beauty being destroyed as you claim. Where I’m come it’s no where near as pretty. I see the character of Atlanta. Like many areas it will change and evolve. My old home town used to be a one lane road with one stop sign. Get used to it.
Why don’t you cite examples of how out of towners have destroyed animals, traditions,etc. not just spout off ideas in your mind. You do realize the Atlanta you know now as it exists destroyed all those things you listed.
Maybe you should blame yourself for supporting that by living in Atlanta.
Above all else, if you don’t like it. Work to change it or move to Oregon. I’ll bet when you get there it now anywhere what you imagine it to be. How long did you live in Oregon where you actually experienced what you say?

Old 01-20-2021, 10:26 PM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
What happened to Californias moving to Texas,Phoenix , Vegas or SLC? Those places are cheap and much closer to Cali.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:33 PM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
What business is it of yours?
I remember years ago when I first joined cd I asked about moving to Atlanta and your response was one of the most condescending negative replies I got.
Not sure what your problem is with anyone who has money. You think the op is rich, in my old town in California their budget won’t even get them a 3/1.5 1300 sq ft starter home.
Everyone wants a better life and if they can find it, more power to them. If they buy a 800k house, how does that affect you buying a starter 200k house or less?
If you are concerned about missing the boat, maybe you should work harder to get the money you need instead of complaining about others.

I’ve been in the area for 5 years now and love the people I’ve met here. I have to say that you are the only one that hasn’t been nice. Maybe work on yourself instead of posting how bad everyone else is.
Fortunately there are people like b2r that are helpful here.
Well, it does put pressure on the market and make those those 200k homes rarer or less desirable.

Also, someone moving from one of the most expensive cities with inflated equity to a significantly cheaper one didn’t have to “work harder” for that 800k in equity.

The wages and home prices are just bigger where they came from.

Are you just throwing out bootstrap talking points?

Old 01-20-2021, 11:39 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
What happened to Californias moving to Texas,Phoenix , Vegas or SLC? Those places are cheap and much closer to Cali.
Californians are still moving to those places in droves.

Californians are also continuing to move to other Western states like Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Idaho and Montana in sizable numbers, and are also moving to other states like Wyoming, New Mexico and Oklahoma in lesser but still noticeable numbers.

With Georgia being the site of the world’s busiest airport (in Atlanta), with Georgia being a ‘Mecca’ or a major hub of Black migration (in metro Atlanta), and with Georgia being a massive hub of television and film production that had been generating a noticeable amount of migration from Southern California; Californians had already been moving to Georgia (most notably metro Atlanta) in some noticeable numbers before.

But the ultra high-profile 2020 post Presidential election Georgia U.S. Senate double runoff seems to have really put Georgia on the map as a major relocation destination for residents (particularly affluent residents) looking to migrate out of the high-cost areas of coastal California.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:42 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Hey! I can only answer some of your questions.

ATL officially leans liberal now, and like most metros, it's moreso ITP. Would still be conservative compared to CA however.

Hidden costs would be a termite bond, potentially an exterminator (not necessary though), and the vehicle tax (you pay a 1 time premium to register your car here).

North of I-20, crime is not an issue. That's obviously a rule of thumb, but generally holds true. North of 285 would be safer still.

Your budget is not to low! Best of luck.
I disagree that crime isn't an issue above I-20 or in any part of the metro area.

You will soon learn that the local news on all networks can barely get in the litany of crimes that occur daily.

Atlanta and Georgia have more crime of all kinds than most big cities and most of America.

The state ranks 1st or 2nd nationally in identity theft and 3rd in armed robbery.

You will see that weekends are spent boring through walls of strip shopping centers to get guns or phones.

And the perfected smash-n-grab, where now 2 vehicles are stolen so that one be driven into the glass storefront and the other a temporary getaway car.

Teenagers in groups break into cars at apartment complexes regularly. And car jackings occur at gas pumps all over the metro area.

Atlanta is the big bad city for the entire Southeast, FL excluded, and criminal types for 5 Southern states keep Atlanta chock full of bad behavior.

But simply teaching your family to be street smart and keep 50 feet or so of distance walking in the evening so that no one is close enough to grab you you'll be fine.

Always scope your surroundings so there are no surprises. I sometimes will walk on the street at night it's more open and better lit than the sidewalk.

Don't stop when summoned with a question from a questionable character etc. because you know what it will conclude with, a money request.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:48 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Californians are still moving to those places in droves.

Californians are also continuing to move to other Western states like Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Idaho and Montana in sizable numbers, and are also moving to other states like Wyoming, New Mexico and Oklahoma in lesser but still noticeable numbers.

With Georgia being the site of the world’s busiest airport (in Atlanta), with Georgia being a ‘Mecca’ or a major hub of Black migration (in metro Atlanta), and with Georgia being a massive hub of television and film production that had been generating a noticeable amount of migration from Southern California; Californians had already been moving to Georgia (most notably metro Atlanta) in some noticeable numbers before.

But the ultra high-profile 2020 post Presidential election Georgia U.S. Senate double runoff seems to have really put Georgia on the map as a major relocation destination for residents (particularly affluent residents) looking to migrate out of the high-cost areas of coastal California.
Ex-Californians make up the 5th largest share of newcomers to Wake County, NC (Raliegh) too.

But mostly they stick to the Western States and Texas which has a strong link to California with millions moving back and forth all the time.

Georgia's state agencies and functioning will seem primitive compared to California which is almost too proactive and protective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta