Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 05:54 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I disagree that crime isn't an issue above I-20 or in any part of the metro area.

You will soon learn that the local news on all networks can barely get in the litany of crimes that occur daily.

Atlanta and Georgia have more crime of all kinds than most big cities and most of America.

The state ranks 1st or 2nd nationally in identity theft and 3rd in armed robbery.

You will see that weekends are spent boring through walls of strip shopping centers to get guns or phones.

And the perfected smash-n-grab, where now 2 vehicles are stolen so that one be driven into the glass storefront and the other a temporary getaway car.

Teenagers in groups break into cars at apartment complexes regularly. And car jackings occur at gas pumps all over the metro area.

Atlanta is the big bad city for the entire Southeast, FL excluded, and criminal types for 5 Southern states keep Atlanta chock full of bad behavior.

But simply teaching your family to be street smart and keep 50 feet or so of distance walking in the evening so that no one is close enough to grab you you'll be fine.

Always scope your surroundings so there are no surprises. I sometimes will walk on the street at night it's more open and better lit than the sidewalk.

Don't stop when summoned with a question from a questionable character etc. because you know what it will conclude with, a money request.
That's why I said "it was a general rule of thumb," and that North of I-285 was safer still." I still think both of those statements hold true. I'm honestly too lazy to look it up right now, but I'm betting if you took places like East Cobb, Woodstock, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, etc..... the crime stats would validate they are pretty safe places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 07:14 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Ex-Californians make up the 5th largest share of newcomers to Wake County, NC (Raliegh) too.

But mostly they stick to the Western States and Texas which has a strong link to California with millions moving back and forth all the time.
Yeah, that makes sense that (despite being nearly 3,000 miles away on the other side of the continent from California) Raleigh/Wake County, NC would attract a good share of Californian transplants because of the combination of the fairly large hub of tech jobs at RTP (Research Triangle Park) in the middle of an area anchored and highlighted by 3 famous major research universities in UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke and NC State.

Quote:
Georgia's state agencies and functioning will seem primitive compared to California which is almost too proactive and protective.
Lol.

Affluent Californians who have the finances to move 2,500 miles across the continent, purchase a $500k+ home in affluent neighborhoods on Atlanta’s Northside and send their children to some of the best private schools in the South most likely could care one iota about how well Georgia’s state government agencies function.

Affluent Californians annually move in droves to traditionally smaller government states like Idaho, Utah, Montana, Nevada, Arizona and Texas, so Georgia’s state government apparatus (even with its noted and admitted flaws) potentially could even seem somewhat generous by comparison.

Though, with the exception of using the Georgia Department of Driver Services (license branch) for vehicular registrations, affluent ex-California residents most likely will rarely need to come in contact with state government agencies whose performance probably would not deter them from moving out of California either way.

Nope. The main motivation of affluent Californians for fleeing the state in large numbers is to escape California’s sky-high living costs for a state with lower living costs and a comparatively better quality-of-life.

Being able to purchase much more house with their otherwise abundant incomes and having significantly more disposable income to be able to enjoy a better quality-of-life after paying living expenses is what is motivating many Californians to move out of the state in droves to lower-cost parts of the country, including Georgia and metro Atlanta.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:48 AM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
That's why I said "it was a general rule of thumb," and that North of I-285 was safer still." I still think both of those statements hold true. I'm honestly too lazy to look it up right now, but I'm betting if you took places like East Cobb, Woodstock, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, etc..... the crime stats would validate they are pretty safe places to live.
It feels weird to tell people to move to the top end of the metro just to be relatively safe. Maybe it is what it is but, I feel like there are plenty safe places that aren't nearly 30+ miles away from the center.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

Lol.

Affluent Californians who have the finances to move 2,500 miles across the continent, purchase a $500k+ home in affluent neighborhoods on Atlanta’s Northside and send their children to some of the best private schools in the South most likely could care one iota about how well Georgia’s state government agencies function.

Affluent Californians annually move in droves to traditionally smaller government states like Idaho, Utah, Montana, Nevada, Arizona and Texas, so Georgia’s state government apparatus (even with its noted and admitted flaws) potentially could even seem somewhat generous by comparison.

Though, with the exception of using the Georgia Department of Driver Services (license branch) for vehicular registrations, affluent ex-California residents most likely will rarely need to come in contact with state government agencies whose performance probably would not deter them from moving out of California either way.

Nope. The main motivation of affluent Californians for fleeing the state in large numbers is to escape California’s sky-high living costs for a state with lower living costs and a comparatively better quality-of-life.

Being able to purchase much more house with their otherwise abundant incomes and having significantly more disposable income to be able to enjoy a better quality-of-life after paying living expenses is what is motivating many Californians to move out of the state in droves to lower-cost parts of the country, including Georgia and metro Atlanta.
Everyone has to deal with infrastructure though and Georgia lacks severely in that department. LA was bad but it didn't feel nearly as congested as I expected when I visited because Metro Atlanta's infrastructure is so inadequate for the number of people who live here.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:13 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
It feels weird to tell people to move to the top end of the metro just to be relatively safe. Maybe it is what it is but, I feel like there are plenty safe places that aren't nearly 30+ miles away from the center.
Agree completely

Old 01-21-2021, 10:14 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,362 times
This is so not an issue. Honestly, this really won't affect anyone's life on here. This isn't 30 billionaires deciding they want to live in Bankhead or Morrow. Now, that would be a real shake-up. OP, do what you need and want to do.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:27 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Well, it does put pressure on the market and make those those 200k homes rarer or less desirable.

Also, someone moving from one of the most expensive cities with inflated equity to a significantly cheaper one didn’t have to “work harder” for that 800k in equity.

The wages and home prices are just bigger where they came from.

Are you just throwing out bootstrap talking points?
How about these points.
Depends on who’s buying. Generally the cheapest houses are the hottest markets. Much desired and competitive market. Mid price not as much. There will always be a demand for a cheap livable homes. I know because I watch the market and those things fly off the market quickly.

It not the McMansions that make it so, it’s just the cheaper prices of the homes themselves. People shopping in that market are not the same people looking at 800k McMansions. Did you see the op saying they had a 800k budget but wanted to but a 200k house making it more competitive for local lower end Atlantans?

As far as someone from a more expensive city, how do you know how hard they worked. Maybe instead of sitting on their butts they got educated and got a good paying job and killed themselves to get a house and sacrificed quality of life to own. Do you fault someone for thinking smart to get their money to go farther in another place?
I own houses in the Midwest, wages similar to Atlanta . They are not in an expensive area as you speak of. All blue collar. Yet they have tripled in value in the last 4 years. The owners were not rich highly paid people, just regular workers. If they moved to Atlanta are they destroying the city with their new found equity?

Old 01-21-2021, 10:29 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Yeah, that makes sense that (despite being nearly 3,000 miles away on the other side of the continent from California) Raleigh/Wake County, NC would attract a good share of Californian transplants because of the combination of the fairly large hub of tech jobs at RTP (Research Triangle Park) in the middle of an area anchored and highlighted by 3 famous major research universities in UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke and NC State.

Lol.

All true. They are not moving here to destroy Atlanta and the locals and kill animals as some believe .

Old 01-21-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post

As far as someone from a more expensive city, how do you know how hard they worked. Maybe instead of sitting on their butts they got educated and got a good paying job and killed themselves to get a house and sacrificed quality of life to own.
No one knows this on this forum one way or another, but YOU were the one wax poeting about it like you knew they just worked harder than everyone else to get 800k in equity or enough equity/cash to buy a 800k home. Since the OP is from the Bay the Area, it's more likely they lived a middle class existence there and just benefit from now moving to a significantly cheaper city whether they worked hard or not. I can literally do that now if I moved to a smaller town in any nearby state and sold my Atlanta priced home. The margins are just higher since the Bay Area is like in the top 3 for cost of living and home prices.
Quote:
Do you fault someone for thinking smart to get their money to go farther in another place?
I don't care really, but I like having honest discussions about this stuff. Let's not argue in bad faith.

Quote:
I own houses in the Midwest, wages similar to Atlanta . They are not in an expensive area as you speak of. All blue collar. Yet they have tripled in value in the last 4 years. The owners were not rich highly paid people, just regular workers. If they moved to Atlanta are they destroying the city with their new found equity?
That's the discussion and many people feel that is so. Would I make it against the law? Not at all. We can have a discussion about the material reality though.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:34 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
California is very proactive in how it sets precedent in notifying people with signs about the hazards in consumer products, alcohol, air quality, etc. They have state agencies that try to protect people before problems even arise which can be good and can be bad.

None of that is related to their sanctuary over-sympathizing with illegal immigrants. high taxes, or the current bad things going on there. I got pulled over on the 405 twice in the 90s because my shoulder seat belt harness was drooping and the CHP officer couldn't see it.

Atlanta and Georgia are reactive and are motivated when time has run out and they can no longer sit idly by. Examples include adding a 5th lane to I-285 topend, express lanes, license plate renewal which used to have a grace period deadline of May 31st resulting in thousands of people waiting in line at the end of May because they didn't want to pay ad valorem taxes on their cars. Georgia still doesn't have safety inspections for cars which is a potential danger to everyone on the road.

And the sewer system which is costing $12 billion to rebuild due to 50 years of no maintenance. The feds had to resort to $25,000 a day fines when raw sewage entered the creeks and this went on for years until the city acted.

The state government doesn't have enough systems of checks and balances to thwart corruption and mismanagement of public funds.

The little things are what people slowly realize aren't of the caliber of the top states, like the logos or official-ness of documents coming from state agencies that are more impressive in other states.

Things like highway patrolmen uniforms, the paint scheme of their cars, license plates designs, architect's stamps, are subtly noticed and evoke pride and respect for the country and state where you call home.

California has so much stored up cachet that the world respects and admires that even its shortcomings are forgiven and tolerated.

Georgia won't be viewed under the same lens, and though people might not care about the little representations of Georgia in their daily life, they won't go unnoticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta