Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,548 times

Advertisements

Hello-
My husband is considering a position with the CDC and I am doing some research on where to rent first (until we sell our 2 houses here) and then buy probably in the 300,000-350,000K range.

We are young (27,31), no kids yet but plan to start a family soon. Would like to be in an area full of stuff to do, not a long commute to CDC for him, but since we are from Lexington, KY we are used to the suburbia feel....but open to a little more urban feel. We prefer single family homes (either new or historic...kinda don't like the 50's-60's houses), or maybe a townhome to buy. Would like a safe area, and school districts aren't that important right now....like to walk and run outside, so near parks, cafe's etc would be nice. Sorry if I sound so picky....just trying to narrow it down.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
Hi, I work at CDC (contractor not federal employee). Is your husband going to work at the main campus on Clifton Rd?

(calling on other neighbors to fill out these lists)

If so, then here are some neighborhoods that are close enough that he could bike:

Druid Hills
Virginia-Highland
Inman Park
Candler Park
Lake Claire
Midtown
Decatur
Toco Hills

Here are some neighborhoods with a relative short commute by car:

Northlake Mall area
Dunwoody
Tucker
Grant Park

Of course, the neighborhoods that you can bike from are more urban.

What about you? Will you be working? If so, where? That can help narrow the location.

I live in Candler Park and bike to work. Here's an interactive map of the neighborhood. You can click on different areas to check it out.

Candler Park Atlanta Map - interactive map of Candler Park with neighborhood information, schools, business, parks, and churches

Candler Park Fall Fest

420 fest | april 19th & 20th | candler park | atlanta, ga (http://www.pemi.net/420fest/ - broken link)

Many of the other neighborhoods are very similar in vibe.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:17 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
By the way, I'm a redhead, too....

Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukredhead19 View Post
Hello-
My husband is considering a position with the CDC and I am doing some research on where to rent first (until we sell our 2 houses here) and then buy probably in the 300,000-350,000K range.

We are young (27,31), no kids yet but plan to start a family soon. Would like to be in an area full of stuff to do, not a long commute to CDC for him, but since we are from Lexington, KY we are used to the suburbia feel....but open to a little more urban feel. We prefer single family homes (either new or historic...kinda don't like the 50's-60's houses), or maybe a townhome to buy. Would like a safe area, and school districts aren't that important right now....like to walk and run outside, so near parks, cafe's etc would be nice. Sorry if I sound so picky....just trying to narrow it down.

Thanks for all your help!
Bristol at Briarcliff townhomes might work. Google for the link.

Located at Briarcliff and N. Druid Hills. Less than 5 miles from CDC.

The Loehman's Plaza shopping center is minutes away and there are several restaurants--including Panera and Starbucks. Executive Park is next door and is headed for major development --maybe a few years away--it sounds like there will be many new restaurants/shops.
Meanwhile--headed towards CDC--there are more shops and restaurants at LaVista/Briarcliff.
Plenty of walking, running, cycling in the area but also a lot of traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta