Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:17 AM

23,509 posts, read 44,187,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
That's a good sounding name. I will now add in Cumberland and coming out with something more ridiculous sounding: Smyrstonumberlanding.
Add a few more consonants and it would sound like a quaint Welsh village.

Smyrna's drawing card IMO is location...considered at this point 'intown', but still offering the advantage of lower property taxes (for now). It's pretty clear that the developers believe in its' future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,121,270 times
Quote:
So what do you think? Are you looking forward to it? Do you think it will possitively affect land value of the neighborhoods North Windy Hill or just areas South of it?
I'm sure looking forward to it, since it's only a few miles to our north. I think it will have a positive impact all around (on land values, on the eating and retail options available to the immediate area, etc.).

Old 05-12-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, so now housing developments in Mableton will appropriate the Vinings name for added prestige instead of housing developments in Smyrna.
Will appropriate? You mean "are appropriating". It's been a present-tense situation for a while, I think. Vinings Estates and satellite subdivisions were in Mableton before Smyrna moved the boundary south of the Connector, I think, and there are a few subdivisions still living on the Mableton side of the southern Smyrna frontier with that name, some of them a few years old.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I can't remember the name of this one (photo below) but it's just down the road from Market Village at the corner of the East/West Connector:
[img]http://www.pbase.com/powdersprings/image/91387010.jpg[/img
I can't see the photo, but I'm guessing you're talking about Wieland's One Ivy Walk complex?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:34 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,787,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Will appropriate? You mean "are appropriating". It's been a present-tense situation for a while, I think. Vinings Estates and satellite subdivisions were in Mableton before Smyrna moved the boundary south of the Connector, I think, and there are a few subdivisions still living on the Mableton side of the southern Smyrna frontier with that name, some of them a few years old.
This trend seems to be dying though. They are more often using names based on the location, or just something completely random or based on the builder... Like some fictional neighborhood off Buckner may be named Buckner Woods.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 AM

847 posts, read 1,460,070 times
I'm looking forward to it myself. I moved to Cobb in 2004 and I have always considered Belmont Hills to be an eyesore. I would like to see someone do something with the shopping center on South Cobb that used to house Rich's as well.

I guess in a few years people some Smyrna residents will stop telling people that they live in Vinings or Smyrna-Vinings *lol*.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
This trend seems to be dying though. They are more often using names based on the location, or just something completely random or based on the builder... Like some fictional neighborhood off Buckner may be named Buckner Woods.
I really like the idea behind the new gated subdivision right at the E/W Connector and Cooper Lake (Woodbridge Crossing). They've built a new covered bridge across Nickajack Creek inside the subdivision (you can barely see it from Cooper Lake Road), meaning people get to enter the gate and then cross a private rustic covered bridge on their way home at night. I would *love* that.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:42 AM

750 posts, read 2,278,638 times
Quote:
I can't see the photo, but I'm guessing you're talking about Wieland's One Ivy Walk complex
Pretty sure thats the name of it, it's actually a few miles from where I live now. I think the Belmont Hills redevelopment will be great. That stretch of windy hill has been an eye sore for a while now. Anything will be better than it is now. Also right up the road across from market village they are redeveloping that area also. Used to be Jonquiel (or something) they are building a publix there. Which is great because we really don't have a grocery store in that area, although I'm not a big publix fan but, beggers can't be choosers.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:56 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,787,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I'm looking forward to it myself. I moved to Cobb in 2004 and I have always considered Belmont Hills to be an eyesore.
It's interesting because although a lot of people consider Belmont Hills to be an eyesore, I think as far as strip malls go, architecturally it's pretty nice -- if it were somewhere else and not sitting on land that was worth so much, I would have thought all it needs to be power-washed and have the parking lot redone. I guess for me, if the interior store spaces weren't so out of date from an infrastructure perspective, I'd think it'd still have potential. However, next to Market Village it looks very out of place and the land value there definitely supports something nicer.

Also, the kind of stores in there are a magnet for low-income shoppers. I don't think options should be taken away from lower income shoppers, but we already have enough nearly vacant low-income shopping centers in the area. Taking away one should only help the remaining shopping centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
although I'm not a big publix fan but, beggers can't be choosers.
I hear ya. Personally, I like Kroger's better. Especially the one in Vinings off Paces Mill or the one off Atlanta Rd where you park on the roof. The Kroger off Concord Rd has a good selection, but it seriously needs to be redone because it's in another ugly shopping center.

My feeling is that Kroger's has better prices in general unless you continually go back to Publix and do light shopping and only pick up what is on sale. I normally don't have the time for that. That's just my feeling though. I've never taken out a register and done comparisons for months I shopped at one place versus the other.

Last edited by netdragon; 05-12-2008 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-12-2008, 12:19 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,265,306 times
Quote:
I hear ya. Personally, I like Kroger's better. Especially the one in Vinings off Paces Mill or the one off Atlanta Rd where you park on the roof. The Kroger off Concord Rd has a good selection, but it seriously needs to be redone because it's in another ugly shopping center.
The Kroger off Paces Mill is probably my least favorite grocery store. The store is small and does not carry a very good diverse selection. I also find the staff there less than friendly. I prefer either shopping at the Kroger off of Atlanta Rd. (WONDERFUL store) or at Publix on Cumberland Pkwy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta