Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2021, 06:58 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
The same exact process that was used for Brookhaven, Sandy Springs, and South Fulton will be used for Buckhead. The other stuff is just feelings, pandering, and emotion that doesn't matter.
Again, I'm not saying the process is different, but that incorporation in general (which doesn't split the existing county) is different than the Buckhead situation (which splits the City of Atlanta via a require de-annexation).

Old 06-16-2021, 07:00 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
They are teenagers. Likely not the smartest. As someone who was at Lenox briefly over the Memorial Day weekend there are:

-APD officers on duty
-Off duty plain clothes APD officers (easy to spot because they have the clear earpiece and speak into their hand)
-Private security for every retailer on the luxury wing (Mayors, LV, Cartier, AP, Prada, Ferragamo, Yurman etc)
-APD officers with the German Shepherds that can sniff guns/drugs

You would have to be a complete and total moron to try and commit a crime inside the mall. Outside might be more doable I don't know.
I’m told that not only were they teens, but they were in town from Chicago, staying in a motel...
So my question is, why are criminals coming all the way to Atlanta just to commit crimes??? I ask it that way because apparently this is a recent years trend in Atlanta’s crime statistics. (Got that info from someone who runs a security business in Atlanta).

I do have a theory to “why” this is happening, but I want to hear from the CD folks first...

Old 06-16-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
How so? We have our own mayor, city council, police and fire…I can’t vote in Atlanta.
Brookhaven was an unincorporated part of Dekalb County and never was a part of the CoA (though it did have an Atlanta address).

Old 06-16-2021, 07:10 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Brookhaven was an unincorporated part of Dekalb County and never was a part of the CoA (though it did have an Atlanta address).
My address comes up as an Atlanta address still. Not sure how you can have an Atlanta address and not be a part of Atlanta at some point in history.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:17 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I’m told that not only were they teens, but they were in town from Chicago, staying in a motel...
So my question is, why are criminals coming all the way to Atlanta just to commit crimes??? I ask it that way because apparently this is a recent years trend in Atlanta’s crime statistics. (Got that info from someone who runs a security business in Atlanta).

I do have a theory to “why” this is happening, but I want to hear from the CD folks first...
Given that Georgia is tougher on crime than Illinois, going all the way to Atlanta from Chicago to commit crime doesn't seem like a smart idea.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Given that Georgia is tougher on crime than Illinois, going all the way to Atlanta from Chicago to commit crime doesn't seem like a smart idea.
RIGHT! Seems like a TERRIBLE idea... So, WHY???
These kids aren't the only ones though... This happens a lot in Atlanta.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:10 AM

I don't know why Atlanta repeatedly insist on not learning from examples given to us by other cities that have gone through certain situations...

("Experience is the teacher of fools. For the wise learn from observing those before them" paraphrased.)

I say that to say, we have a way of being the anomaly in urban development, choosing to do things our own way and just stand on "just because it worked there doesn't mean it will work here..." kind of talk without ever finding out if it will work here because we just won't even try it. This happens in our transportation solutions when we can look at how other cities have failed in their efforts and I see it happening with all the cities forming around Atlanta trying to lock Atlanta's borders because they don't want their tax dollars going to the city. You want a nice city, but you don't want to pay for it...
There are examples...

Andrew Green saw consolidation of the Five Boroughs as a civic duty for New York to be successful. And he was right.
Toronto amalgamated the 6 municipalities because the separate cities were eating Toronto slowly, and amalgamation would save the area money... And it worked... Toronto today is awesome.

All this separatism is going to eat Atlanta alive and leave little pockets of wealth in a broke metro area like Detroit (though Detroit is not because of the same).

I think Atlanta is moving in the wrong direction. Atlanta should amalgamate and reclaim land and population. Grown in wealth then improve with it. And the entire Metro area would benefit. Teamwork makes the dream work... Not the other way around.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:10 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
My address comes up as an Atlanta address still. Not sure how you can have an Atlanta address and not be a part of Atlanta at some point in history.
Postal addresses don't correspond to city boundaries.

None of the current city of Brookhaven was ever in the Atlanta city limits. Nothing had to be de-annexed. It was created from unincorporated DeKalb.

However, some of Historic Brookhaven is in the city of Atlanta. And, yes, it's confusing.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:15 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Postal addresses don't correspond to city boundaries.

None of the current city of Brookhaven was ever in the Atlanta city limits. Nothing had to be de-annexed. It was created from unincorporated DeKalb.

However, some of Historic Brookhaven is in the city of Atlanta. And, yes, it's confusing.
It's the same with Sandy Springs (30328) as well as Cumberland/Vinings (30339) which both use Atlanta as their postal address. Unfortunately when I lived in Sandy Springs I couldn't vote for the Atlanta mayor otherwise that would have been one vote less/one vote against for KLB.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
It's the same with Sandy Springs (30328) as well as Cumberland/Vinings (30339) which both use Atlanta as their postal address. Unfortunately when I lived in Sandy Springs I couldn't vote for the Atlanta mayor otherwise that would have been one vote less/one vote against for KLB.
Sandy Springs residents tried to get the USPS to make "Sandy Springs" the default city for postal addresses but businesses in the area didn't buy in (they still wanted the Atlanta address).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta