Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2007, 06:52 PM
klc klc started this thread

1 posts, read 6,810 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to Forsyth County (Alpharetta side). I am a person of color and have reviewed the county's official website. I haven't noticed any reflection of the 10% of non-white citizens in the gov't, Board of Commisioners, etc. Is there any one that may be able to enlighten me about the "new" Forsyth County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 06:57 AM

88 posts, read 511,716 times
Huh? I think I understand your question but not sure so I will give this a go. I think there is a N Forsyth and a S Forsyth. The government is representated from mostly from N Forsyth which is Cumming "proper" (lol if you could call it proper). But the South side includes, Suwanee, Johns Creek, Alpharetta, and I actually have a Cumming address but don't consider myself "Cumming". I'm off of Exit 13 on the east side so I see quite a bit of progressiveness coming to the area. Yes, the older part of Forsyth County (North) is still the way it has been until the growth gets into that area. Which they are fighting. hth's

Old 01-02-2007, 07:40 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klc View Post
Hi, I am new to Forsyth County (Alpharetta side). I am a person of color and have reviewed the county's official website. I haven't noticed any reflection of the 10% of non-white citizens in the gov't, Board of Commisioners, etc. Is there any one that may be able to enlighten me about the "new" Forsyth County?
Gotta remember; only as recently as the 1980's, Forsyth County prided itself on a non-official "ban" on residents of color. That's big ship to turn around.

The ethnic make-up County Commissioner isn't going to change without a fight, and without exposure. More and more people of color will need to stand and say "I'm a resident of Forsyth County; I desire to offer my leadership in the county's government; and the old power network stands as an obstacle in doing so".

The good news is that the non-white population will grow, but it needs to triangulate. In other words, the non-white population needs to establish a presence in North and South Forsyth. When this happens, things will begin to change.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:59 AM

426 posts, read 2,322,472 times
I applaud you for moving to Forsyth County. Most African Americans familiar with the area's history would never consider such a move, including myslef. But the key to changing these area's demographics is by moving into area's that were prviously all white and mostly racist, which is a legacy that is hard for Forsyth County to shake among the majority of African Americans who grew up in the Atlanta area.

It's progressive for Blacks to be even moving up there. The old-time residents have to get used to that first. I think it will be a long time before you start to see Blacks being elected to office or taking on other leadership roles in the county.

South Forsyth is nice and chaper that the Fulton side of Alpharetta so I understand the appeal of the area but change is slower up there...it's more like the old south that's in the back of every transplant's mind.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:37 PM

41 posts, read 206,879 times
Smile ?

what part of cummings is post rd and 20 victory not that it's so important just like to know where i'll be moving lol

Old 01-05-2007, 03:56 PM

South Forsyth but the west side of 400. South Forsyth (east side) is more progressive, imo.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:07 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,091 times
FYI:

Those interested in Forsyth county should read the article online from today's Metro section of our Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper (ajc.com). It's titled, "Forsyth Puts the Brakes on Building" and here is an excerpt:

[County Commissioner Dave] Richard insisted that the 90-day moratorium won't slow the residential building in the county. He said 30,000 homes have already been approved, but not built.

[Newly elected Commission Chairman Charles] Laughinghouse chided developers who criticized the moratorium, asking tongue-in-cheek if they would be driving tanks full of water into the county if water runs low next summer as it did last summer. "But then again, our roads are so crowded they probably can't get here," he said.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:42 PM

I think this is just to get the roads under control among other reasons also. Anyone that has moved here from another city can probably agree that the city planning all around metro Atlanta is horrible as far as traffic is concerned. One thing about Forsyth County is it has been growing like crazy for several years and they still aren't planned for the growth. I moved here from Frisco, TX and it was growing faster than Forsyth County but the city planning was great. Granted they just cleared everything to build. Here they are required to leave trees and zoning is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta