Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 04:04 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,366,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
My question why does that matter? How does Miami have larger Caribbean population makes it less "Southern". Even with that Atlanta is still much closer to Miami culturally then it is Vicksburg MS.

The problem with this the exemption creates the exemption. What I mean is I been on City data for a while so I seen this southern debate many times, I seen threads that FL, TX, Ok, LA, VA even NC being argue as not Southern enough. Which is Ironic because if you add the population together that's over 2/3 of the South population. Which means what ever people are trying to define the South as stereotypical is actually in the minority. And what they removing is actually the majority. States like MS and AL what people use as example of most Southern states actually are among the least populated states in the south. Meanwhile 4 of 5 the South most populated states are being debate as the south or not. Basically people strip the South from the South, then argue such place is different from the South after they strip the diversity of the South away.

I also don't like this because the South is the only region where people try to define it by how least cosmopolitan a place is. You don't hear blank is not Midwestern enough. So the question become why can't the south be cosmopolitan? and why can't what is southern can't grow and change?

but as far pedestrians in South Florida that has more to do with in being a large beach resort city then a cultural difference. The funny thing is if you look at development Miami is actually develop way more Car Orient than the core of Atlanta. The streets are wider and odd enough there actually less street level retail in Miami, they develop a lot of Condo building with these grand entrances drive ways. So it's not urban planning either it's literally just Miami is a beach city.

More traditional urbanity is New Orleans.

Well, Texans will tell you Texas is "A whole another country" lol n
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 04:09 PM

450 posts, read 273,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Affordable housing would mean 1/3 of the monthly income at that wage. But rent is barely affordable anywhere in ATL even if you make double that. You have to have live in a trap house with roommates or get on public assistance.

We have a big problem here and no one is addressing it. Wages are so low that the government has to subsidize peoples' incomes. People working 60 hours a week and still be barely scraping by living in a rat infested hellhole. It's not a surprise that so many businesses can't find workers. The wages are just too low.

That's how shortages work- when the price is too low on a good, suppliers can't make the economics work. That's what's happening now with labor. It's basic economics- but you won't find CEOs saying that. They suddenly don't like the game when it stops working in their favor.

No one makes minimum wage; for better or worse, we have largely abolished the minimum wage. I am not a stodgy old boomer by any means, but my company hires hourly semi-skilled labor and we'll take anyone off the street with zero experience and pay them $15 an hour while we train them up in a pretty comfortable and employee-friendly environment...and still have trouble finding people. It's both true that American companies are excessively cheap and that the labor pool is almost impossibly bad. You can have a comfy middle-class lifestyle if you just have baseline reliability that would be expected of any functional adult, but that is too much to ask of a terrifyingly large swath of the population. Maybe you can't send 4 kids to private colleges, but you can afford a nice apartment, a car, and any reasonable entertainment/food/simple luxuries if you're just functional.

Old 02-14-2022, 07:46 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,885,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
No one makes minimum wage; for better or worse, we have largely abolished the minimum wage. I am not a stodgy old boomer by any means, but my company hires hourly semi-skilled labor and we'll take anyone off the street with zero experience and pay them $15 an hour while we train them up in a pretty comfortable and employee-friendly environment...and still have trouble finding people. It's both true that American companies are excessively cheap and that the labor pool is almost impossibly bad. You can have a comfy middle-class lifestyle if you just have baseline reliability that would be expected of any functional adult, but that is too much to ask of a terrifyingly large swath of the population. Maybe you can't send 4 kids to private colleges, but you can afford a nice apartment, a car, and any reasonable entertainment/food/simple luxuries if you're just functional.
Where do you work, and how can I apply? Send me a direct message. I have only once made $15/hour and know many others that have also had trouble finding a good paying job.

There are things that I won't do though. The one job I had that paid well required me to lie, harass and trick people into giving me money- it was a fundraising organization for a suprisingly legitimate media organization but their methods were pretty terrible. I would rather be poor than make money fooling people.

Last edited by bryantm3; 02-14-2022 at 08:03 AM..

Old 02-14-2022, 10:24 AM

10,397 posts, read 11,534,017 times
Default Midtown Atlanta experienced record residential development in 2021

Quote:
The forest of cranes towering over Midtown Atlanta makes it clear that developer interest in the area is intense, and according to the Midtown Alliance’s 2021 annual report, development activity has reached record levels.

During the year, 5,172 residential units and four million square feet of office space were delivered or under construction, the largest annual amounts in the district’s history, according to the nonprofit group, which has worked to boost the fortunes of the 1.2 square-mile area since 1978.

Also during the year, the Midtown Development Review Committee reviewed 10 projects representing 811 square feet of office space, 1,983 residences and 54,000 square feet of retail.
Midtown sees record residential development in 2021 (Atlanta Agent Magazine)

Old 02-14-2022, 10:27 AM

10,397 posts, read 11,534,017 times
Default Midtown Atlanta experiences record development

Quote:
Last year was a record one for Midtown Atlanta. According to Midtown Alliance, the area experienced 4 million square feet of office space under construction or delivered in 2021, the most ever concurrently in Midtown’s history.
Midtown’s allure sparks record growth (Atlanta Business Chronicle) (PAYWALL)

Old 02-14-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Where do you work, and how can I apply? Send me a direct message. I have only once made $15/hour and know many others that have also had trouble finding a good paying job.

There are things that I won't do though. The one job I had that paid well required me to lie, harass and trick people into giving me money- it was a fundraising organization for a suprisingly legitimate media organization but their methods were pretty terrible. I would rather be poor than make money fooling people.

In the infrastructure/civil engineering/construction industry. If you have a decent high school education and have basic reliability and work ethic standards (I am talking basic work ethic, not cultish Mike Rowe nonsense), you'll be making $15 an hour in the Atlanta area with easygoing bosses and a pretty relaxed, outdoors job with light physical labor requirements. Oh, and all your bosses are fairly chill engineers who want nothing less than to micromanage you as long as there's no need to. Company truck if you don't have a vehicle. You get paid $0.60 per mile that you use your personal vehicle for work.

It's out there, you just have to look a little bit. Old-school middle class blue collar jobs are booming right now. Manufacturing, construction, etc. I don't want to tie my online persona to my real life (although we get paid $1,000 for referring new technicians, so it's tempting), but I'd start looking into the DOT and then fan out from there into relevant contractors and sub-industries.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:59 PM

8,487 posts, read 15,019,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
If all of Downtown/Midtown ATL's parking were in underground garages below buildings (not free-standing), then that would be totally fine, and 100% better than the current situation. To me it's not so much the amount of parking spaces, but how they take away from a dense urban area that should be human scale.
Have you just never been to Peachtree Center station? If not, go there and you’ll understand why there aren’t more underground parking structures in central Atlanta. The entire core sits atop a large, very hard vein of gneiss rock and granite. To excavate it would be unbelievably expense and would make zero sense for a car park when it’s easier (and cheaper) to just build up. There areas where there are breaks in vein like east of Peachtree above 14th, but by and large this isn’t available in most of the rest of downtown/midtown.

In addition, much of Downtown (including the streets) sits on viaducts. This adds an extra layer of complexity for underground parking so vertical there too.

But at the end of the day does it matter if the street level of an above ground parking deck has street level retail? Also, is parking underground somehow better? Certainly not any meaningful way, and definitely not in Seattles case. When the big earthquake hits that’s just a disaster of unimaginable proportions waiting to happen.

Lastly, the area that has seen the most development in recent decades is directly the Downtown/Midtown subway tunnel. You can’t very well build an underground deck through that.

Old 02-16-2022, 10:14 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,279,120 times
Okay, well whether it's underground or not is mostly irrelevant. The point is that parking alone (whether in decks or surface lots) shouldn't be taking up so much valuable city real estate. That to me is the obvious main thing blocking potential Atlanta urban vibrancy.

Should as much as possible be integrating the parking into structures with other purposes, whether that means having offices/apartments over a parking base, or a retail level or 2 with parking above it, or whatever.

And/or just plain getting rid of a lot of the detached garages. Every building shouldn't need so much parking, in an area that's actually well-connected by MARTA lines that go in 4 directions, with park&ride options at stations on each line.

Especially with Uber/Lyft in the mix too, there is not a need for all that parking. Less is more, for Downtown/Midtown.

Old 02-16-2022, 10:47 AM

224 posts, read 134,098 times
Quote:
Okay, well whether it's underground or not is mostly irrelevant. The point is that parking alone (whether in decks or surface lots) shouldn't be taking up so much valuable city real estate. That to me is the obvious main thing blocking potential Atlanta urban vibrancy.

Should as much as possible be integrating the parking into structures with other purposes, whether that means having offices/apartments over a parking base, or a retail level or 2 with parking above it, or whatever.

And/or just plain getting rid of a lot of the detached garages. Every building shouldn't need so much parking, in an area that's actually well-connected by MARTA lines that go in 4 directions, with park&ride options at stations on each line.

Especially with Uber/Lyft in the mix too, there is not a need for all that parking. Less is more, for Downtown/Midtown.

If Atlanta wants to shed the oversized suburb depiction and get serious about sustainable growth, every area within a mile of a MARTA station should be upzoned with multi story TOD, apartments, way less parking, retail, and added infrastructure improvements. Zero reasons why every MARTA station is basically surrounded by parking lots, single family homes, and bad planning, and functions as a park and ride. The city was blessed with a heavy rail system that if it happened in modern day, it sure as hell wouldn't be the system it is today, why not take advantage of the blessing and use it correctly instead of letting the stations rot and not reach its full potential? This is the only city in the south with comprehensive heavy rail, and by walking and driving around the core of the city seeing parking lots/garages/vacant lots in every corner, you wouldn't think so.

Y'all see all the new apartments and towers being built near the beltline? That activity needs to be near every marta station.

Last edited by dtyfygiu; 02-16-2022 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-16-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Atlanta is far from the point where parking decks are a significant limiting factor. The surface parking lots and just straight up empty lots (looking at you, the east side of Peachtree Street between 5th and 4th!!!) all over the place are infinitely more of a drag on the city's progress than an understandable parking garage buttressing an active residential tower or whatever. We're like 25 years away from needing to worry about the parking decks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta