Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 05:41 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times

Advertisements

Woodstock
Canton
Holly springs
Hickory flat
Dawsonville
Mountain park
Crabapple

Good schools
Close to mountains
Highway access (for some mentioned)

Pretty much anything new in canton is park of a mega neighborhood with 3 pools and water slides

To be clear, Alpharetta will continue to be unique in that it’s a big job center.

Last edited by Citykid3785; 03-02-2022 at 06:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 06:40 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Alpharetta, John's Creek, and south Forsyth boomed as Alpharetta gained a critical mass of jobs and became the economic hub of the north metro. That's something that's not happening in Cherokee County.

If this project winds up being somewhat successful, I think that Lawrenceville-Dacula-Auburn-Winder stretch could be the answer to the question at hand.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:11 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Alpharetta, John's Creek, and south Forsyth boomed as Alpharetta gained a critical mass of jobs and became the economic hub of the north metro. That's something that's not happening in Cherokee County.

Part of this true, but Eastern Cherokee County (Free Home, Hickory Flat, Macedonia), along with other parts of Forsyth County (West Forsyth, North Forsyth, East Forsyth), could get additional "boom" due to their proximity to Alpharetta and other booming areas.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:29 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Part of this true, but Eastern Cherokee County (Free Home, Hickory Flat, Macedonia), along with other parts of Forsyth County (West Forsyth, North Forsyth, East Forsyth), could get additional "boom" due to their proximity to Alpharetta and other booming areas.
In the absence of an upgraded Hwy 140 for starters, the road capacity isn't there to sustain a western overflow from Alpharetta into Cherokee. The drive from Canton to Roswell is scenic for sure, but it would be a nightmare if it ever became a heavily traveled route.

I can definitely see the growth penetrating further northward into Forsyth on into southern Dawson County though.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:33 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
The more that work from home is embraced, then the more the north exurbs could make sense for those that desire that lifestyle. But I definitely wouldn't want to have to commute standard business hours from Dawson County or Hall County, or even from most of Forsyth.

Anyway, I'd like to see Lawrenceville become something like the next Decatur. If that growing downtown area builds up more, as a genuine urban experience (as opposed to sterile shopping mall Avalon), then I think that will be the next hot area that everyone will want to live near, especially with the (relatively) affordable houses nearby.

Old 03-02-2022, 12:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The more that work from home is embraced, then the more the north exurbs could make sense for those that desire that lifestyle. But I definitely wouldn't want to have to commute standard business hours from Dawson County or Hall County, or even from most of Forsyth.
The north exurbs are fast becoming like the rest of Metro Atlanta's burbs: sprawl-hell (only now you're 20 miles further from everywhere else)

Old 03-02-2022, 12:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Dacula - Auburn

Old 03-02-2022, 01:54 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Many metro Atlantans who may not be the most familiar with the area may think of it as just an exurb to Atlanta, but Hall County has a heavy amount of industrial development that actually generates some noticeable commuting patterns of its own.

Areas like Buford, Suwanee and Duluth also have a significant amount of commercial and industrial development that may generate some noticeable commuting patterns of their own, meaning that there are many people that may live in far-flung outlying Northeast Georgia areas like Dawson County, Hall County, etc, but may only commute as far as Alpharetta, Hall County, Gwinnett County and not all the way into ITP metro Atlanta.

Quote:
Anyway, I'd like to see Lawrenceville become something like the next Decatur. If that growing downtown area builds up more, as a genuine urban experience (as opposed to sterile shopping mall Avalon), then I think that will be the next hot area that everyone will want to live near, especially with the (relatively) affordable houses nearby.
Your comments about Lawrenceville raise the point that, while Lawrenceville likely may not necessarily become the next Decatur, Lawrenceville possesses and seems to be executing long-term plans to build-up its downtown area to become like a college town that grows and connects with Georgia Gwinnett College as it grows over the long term.

Lawrenceville already seems to be making some very noticeable progress with the high-density housing going up in its downtown area and with the development of popular community event and gathering spaces like the Lawrenceville Lawn and the Gwinnett County Bicentennial Plaza.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:11 PM

98 posts, read 131,298 times
If we are buying a house today, would it make sense to buy in a city that could be the next Alpharetta, Johns Creek, or Marietta? Or those 3 cities should still be at the top of the list?

Old 03-02-2022, 04:33 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgooner22 View Post
If we are buying a house today, would it make sense to buy in a city that could be the next Alpharetta, Johns Creek, or Marietta? Or those 3 cities should still be at the top of the list?
I would avoid Fulton County and Southern Cobb county from this point forward. Gwinnett is a no go too.

You need to go further North, & work from home will facilitate it.

I like Northern Forsyth County w/in 2 miles of 400, but not Western Forsyth County.

I think Hall County near Lake Lanier is a sleeper, & Buford.

I like Big Canoe which is in 2 or 3 counties & was planned by the same master community planner as Hilton Head Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta