Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:15 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
But aries4118 is evidently a professional educator. (At least formerly; whether or not they are currently employed in education is unclear, in my reading). I've always vaguely thought of aries as male, but for no good reason, I realize - now that the subject has arisen. The zodiacal pseudonym might be more suggestive of a woman, but I wouldn't take that as definitive.

BTW, I favor the writing style that employs the third person plural pronouns for an individual of indeterminate or unknown gender. This is approved by at least some style books. It's better "he or she" (or should we prefer "she or he"?) or the ugly "s/he".
But, Ariens (Aries people) are known for being aggressive and forthright...not overly female traits...especially in the educational profession!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:01 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
I don't think you can consider Decatur proper upper middle class. Just middle class at best. And it's not overwhelmingly white. It is majority white but there is a good number of Blacks and immigrants in Central and North Decatur as well.
Have you checked house prices in 30030 and 30033 lately? "Middle class at best"?

Old 06-05-2008, 08:15 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,336 times
Yep, can't get much here within the city for less than 400K - is that "middle class at best"?

That plus ... with 400K you have about a $9K tax burden per year.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:32 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Yep, can't get much here within the city for less than 400K - is that "middle class at best"?

That plus ... with 400K you have about a $9K tax burden per year.
Testify, sister...at this rate I'll be lower middle class in no time.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Ideas on what constitutes "middle class" or a "reasonable house price" are all over the map, it seems. I believe I've seen plenty of posts that indicate a belief anything less than $400K or $500K for a home would be positively a slum. It puzzles me that so many people can afford the down payments or mortgages on homes that cost that. Must be a lot of money sloshing around in the USA, I guess.

But on the other hand, teachers (surely they ought to be middle class?) make so little money. Median household incomes are pretty modest in most zip codes. $88K in my zip (30075) for example, and that's relatively high I think. It's a puzzle.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:45 AM

151 posts, read 527,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Ideas on what constitutes "middle class" or a "reasonable house price" are all over the map, it seems. I believe I've seen plenty of posts that indicate a belief anything less than $400K or $500K for a home would be positively a slum. It puzzles me that so many people can afford the down payments or mortgages on homes that cost that. Must be a lot of money sloshing around in the USA, I guess.

But on the other hand, teachers (surely they ought to be middle class?) make so little money. Median household incomes are pretty modest in most zip codes. $88K in my zip (30075) for example, and that's relatively high I think. It's a puzzle.
I've wondered about the same thing. We are a bit above the median you mentioned, with no consumer debt, no kids, and would not even consider a house priced over 300k and would consider 250k a stretch. I guess a lot of people must be house poor and hoping appreciation will cover their debt load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta