Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2007, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,607 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Atlanta in a few weeks. My wife is totally hooked on Atlantic Station. We have family in Dupont Commons as a base so we have time but, can anyone give me the scoop on Atlantic Station Crime, Grady HS etc. I think we should wait until we can afford the new lofts in the business sqaure of Atlantic Station?

Thanks Y'All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 11:41 PM

426 posts, read 2,321,830 times
Atlantic Station is one of Atlanta's nicest master planed communities. I wouldnt worry too much about crime. Atlantic Station puts you within walking distance of many shopping and dining options, something VER RARE in Atlanta. The location is also top notch with Northside Drive, Peachtree, and I-75/85 within a 1/2 mile of you. The whole city would be easily accessible to you. Also, Grady High School is the best publick high school in the city of Atlanta but suburban high schools boast higher test scores. Grady is very deverse though with students from many different econminc and racial backgrounds. The communications magnet there is top notch!

Old 01-07-2007, 01:45 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,469 times
If you can afford Atlantic Station, you won't be dissapointed. It is a brand new community. You can see IKEA out of your window, and walk out your front door and be at the Gap or Starbucks in like five minutes, literally. Midtown, Buckhead (the most exclusive and expensive community in Atlanta) and Downtown are hop, skip and a jump away. Atlantic Station is definetly one of the happening, hip, young professional areas right now. Crime won't be an issue. Once a community has a certain price point, it creates a certain demographic, and crime becomes a very small or non-existent issue. But don't move there prematurely if it's going to put you under financial stress, then you won't really be able to enjoy the community like you SHOULD be able to if you can REALLY afford to live over there. Good Luck.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Atlantic Station is fine if you can handle the prices and "urban-suburbanite" type of folks you find there to a degree. Schools? Two words.. "private school".

Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 PM

15 posts, read 33,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmyers View Post
We are relocating to Atlanta in a few weeks. My wife is totally hooked on Atlantic Station. We have family in Dupont Commons as a base so we have time but, can anyone give me the scoop on Atlantic Station Crime, Grady HS etc. I think we should wait until we can afford the new lofts in the business sqaure of Atlantic Station?

Thanks Y'All

I am currently an atlantic station resident. I can help you out if you want some more information.

Generally, since we work in downtown, the commute is the best part. Easy access to 75, midtown area.

Convenience is great. Publix is across the street. A new target will be completed soon. Starbucks is opening soon, with a coffee place already there. A new, huge LA fitness is going in as well. A walmart opened right down the street in the howell mill area. Restaraunts are chains but pretty decent with more restaraunts close by in midtown or on "the west side".

If you can afford the lofts in the retail square, more power to you as you can literally go downstairs to publix and multiple restaraunts. If not, the condos are very nice as well with alot of amenities, and usually you can walk everywhere unless your a wimp and hate the cold like me or there is severe weather.

We were one of the first residents, and before everything was open and construction noise abounded, it was kind of annoying. However, alot has been completed. Gets kind of busy on the weekends at the main retail area, and we sometimes avoid the retail area on saturday nights but other than that a great place to live. No more crime than anywhere else in midtown. Dont know much about the high school.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:06 PM

11 posts, read 80,790 times
I'm moving to ATL from DC. Does anyone know anything about the new West highlands community. What is the crime like and does anyone see this subdivision blossoming as Dupond Commons and Atlantic station has through being a TAD.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Atlantic Station is fine if you can handle the prices and "urban-suburbanite" type of folks you find there to a degree. Schools? Two words.. "private school".
As stvincent had just posted above, Grady High School is highly regarded as one of the best in the state.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:40 PM

10 posts, read 31,993 times
A year later, how is crime in Atlantic Station? I am considering renting a condo in Art Foundry. Thank you

Old 01-22-2008, 12:44 PM

612 posts, read 2,777,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weenis View Post
A year later, how is crime in Atlantic Station? I am considering renting a condo in Art Foundry. Thank you
There really is not much crime there, it just gets shouted from the roof tops when something happens. And I hear everything that happens there, my husband's company works there for the owners.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,153 times
First, make sure that Grady High is the school that serves Atlantic Station!

There are really 3 high schools in Atlanta that have a good rep: Grady, Druid Hills, and Lakeside (I think that's right). Grady, far and above the others, is a real inner city high school so your teenager will be exposed to a lot of people from really varying socioeconomical and cultural backgrounds.

Don't let atlantagreg scare you off. He does know a lot about Atlanta but it seems he has a private school pref overall - not bashing you for it AG. I went to private school - for me it was nothing but the same socioeconomic and cultural people living sheltered lives. I intend to send my son to Grady so he can get a spit and shine of social sophistication - and not to mention that communications program they have.

Since you mentioned Grady does that mean you actually do have a high schooler? What's your budget for a home? Atlantic station single family homes are in the 500K on up. Lofts and other apartments start around 1200/mo and go up from there.

If you can afford 400K on up then I would suggest NOT moving to Atlantic Station. It's a nice place to go for the movies, but it's not a real neighborhood...at least not yet. If you've got the budget stated above then you have your pick and I recommend you Google these Atlanta in-town neighborhoods:

Midtown
Morningside
Virginia-Highland
Inman Park
Candler Park
Lake Claire
City of Decatur
Druid Hills

All of those above, except for Decatur and Druid Hills, end up at Grady High and are considered to be rather tony family neighborhoods. Decatur has it's own lauded school system and is also trendy and family friendly. Druid Hills I think mostly metriculates to Druid Hills High, but some of it goes to Grady.

Of course, I'm a total homer and I say Candler Park is the best of all those...but I admit I am terribly biased.

But we do have a 9-hole pasture golf course in the actual park named Candler Park and a great October FallFest and the Flying Biscuit and Donna Van Gogh's and Frock of Ages and Candler Park Market....and walking access to MARTA...

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing really wrong with Atlantic Station but right now it's rather sterile and cookie cutter. I mean, Atlantic Station is a really good idea and it was built on a formerly blighted area. But, if you're looking for a city neighborhood vibe I don't think it's at Atlantic Station. It feels a lot more young singles to me when I go there....

Welcome to Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta